• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric Carroll View Post
    (I'm 270 with 14.5" forearms)
    Remind me to call you sir!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

I used some time off over the holidays to get most of the work done on the roller stand. The complete stand is 25' long with 8" I-beam skids for the base which makes the saw working hieght 36". The idea with the I-beam skids is to have the unit portable if I need to move it.

I have 14' 6" from the blade to the left most roller and 12' 6" to the right. Where the saw sits right now, I can place a 24' piece of steel on the left side rollers and move it far enough to the right to cut it in half. Even with only 14' of rollers supporting a 24' piece, it works pretty good. It took some advanced planning to make sure the rollers lined up with the saw table, but it worked on the first try.

I still need to make a stop block to fit in the unistrut, bolt down the saw and paint it, but other than that, its pretty well finished. I'll order the sticky back measuring tape for both sides but won't put it on until I get it painted. Still haven't figured out what color will go with the Ellis green paint.

I think I'll use it for a few weeks to see if I want to make any changes like add a tray to lay a tape measure and pencil on, etc.
      Attached Files
      Millermatic 35
      Miller TB302G
      Ellis 1800
      Smith & Victor Torches
      Optrel Satellite
      Arcair K4000
      Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
      Home Made Welding Trailer

Comment

Here is a close up of the skid with a "ski tip" on the end and some other photos. This should help if I ever need to pull it onto a trailer or drag it outside.

The overhead chain hoist was a back saver while putting this thing together.
        Attached Files
        Millermatic 35
        Miller TB302G
        Ellis 1800
        Smith & Victor Torches
        Optrel Satellite
        Arcair K4000

Comment

WOW! Gary that’s an extraordinary job!
          Caution!

Comment

Great setup
            Nick
            Miller 252 Mig
            Miller Cricket XL
            Millermatic 150 Mig
            Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
            2-O/A outfits
            Jet Lathe and Mill
            Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
            DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
            Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
            20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
            Propane Forge
            60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
            Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
            and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Gary I’ve been meaning to ask you for a couple days now but keep forgetting, (byproduct of old age)!
              Did you incorporate any vertical adjustment in your rollers? I didn’t see any, just wondering what you had in mind?
              Caution!

Comment

Nope, no way to adjust the height of the rollers, if that's what you are asking.

I laid out the I-beams on jackstands with screw adjustable tops that allow me to get things perfectly level before welding it up. So, the base is pretty straight and level and I didn't have to make any adjustment to the height of the rollers to get them also straight and level.

The shop floor isn't perfectly straight and level, but the I-beams even out most of that. If I were to build the same setup without the I-beams, I would bolt the stands down to the concrete with allthread to allow for some fine-tunning in height adjustment.
                Millermatic 35
                Miller TB302G
                Ellis 1800
                Smith & Victor Torches
                Optrel Satellite
                Arcair K4000

Comment

Working...
                X