Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Gallery

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Gallery

I have been looking in the gallery and have found a lot of new stuff. Some of the projects are in the wrong category in my opinion. Lots of neat stuff in there.

Yep. There are some pretty neat projects. Funny thing though, if you read the comments on a project virtually all are requests for plans, no matter how complex or simple the project is.

Comment

I have had some requests for plans on my project comment section and didn't even know because i don't ever look. Guess i need to check more often too...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
        I have had some requests for plans on my project comment section and didn't even know...
        I always thought you would receive a notification when your project gets a comment. How can you contact someone asking for plans when you don't know his email address?

Comment

I guess my problem is that I don't have any plans, I just make stuff as I go...
          like this lamp from a freon tank ... I just cranked up the plasma cutter and started to work..
          Attached Files

Comment

Yea, its like the plans develop in your head as you go and disapear as soon as you finish.

Comment

What you fellows have said is precisely my point. Seems like we don't want to think for ourselves anymore. Wonder where the Wright Bros. got the plans for their Wright Flyer? Or, where did Henry Ford get the plans for his assembly line?

My work is so varied that if I had to do everything by plans, nothing would ever get done. I have to look at the project, determine a materials list, and try to proceed in a logical manner. Most of the time this works. Sometimes, however, I do have to backtrack a bit a correct something. Not often though.

Off my soapbox now.

Comment

It is great to see so many people making the tools, equipment and art that they need rather than buying it!

Monte, I was drooling over your CNC router project! I noticed it in the gallery after checking out your website.

OS - I understand your post on the thread I started now after reading the above post! Pretty funny.

I can understand why people request plans though. Some people have the ability to see or imagine a project and set about building it without so much as making a napkin sketch. That is a very valuable, and I believe pretty rare, trait for a fabricator. Others, myself included, need to put ideas on paper or get some plans before attempting to start fabrication. I admitedly spend a lot of time thinking/designing/sketching before I ever start cutting metal. A skilled builder would probably be done with most of my projects before I ever get started on them!
                Last edited by jpaddock; 11-23-2009, 05:20 PM. Reason: update

Comment

That's what I do to. I'll sketch a design on paper and dimension it if it's more than just a simple project. That way I don't get lost in the build. If it's a critical project (ie sawmill, cnc router table, shop tool, etc...) I make very accurate drawings.

Don't misunderstand. Plans are a very necessary part of most successful projects. The point (humor) I was making is that it seems to be an automatic request from some people for plans for a project without even thinking about it. Makes me chuckle.

I come from a time when if you didn't have the money for something you wanted, you either built it from scrounged material, or you did without. I for one never had a store bought skateboard and all my bikes were put together out of discarded bikes. At the time, I wasn't too happy having to build all my stuff. Now though I'm glad I did. That experience has helped my throughout my life. I suspect Monte55 has done a bit of this also based on some of the projects he has in the gallery. His work is admirable as is yours.

Thanks again for entering your project. And, congratulations for winning. It was well deserved.

Comment

Plans, we don't need no stinkin plans.

I had a Miller cart for my old MM 140 and it did not take long for it to be way to small for all mystuff.

You can see how its grown...that old Miller cart still resides in there but a LOT has changed.

I am now think about how I rebuild it again.

Like you said I just build and when I finish then I forget the plans that I never had...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sporty View Post
                      Yep. There are some pretty neat projects. Funny thing though, if you read the comments on a project virtually all are requests for plans, no matter how complex or simple the project is.
                      I'm an original. Check out my projects on my website if you doubt me. That's because I have imagination. Imagination is that thing that makes you consider starting to color at the line instead of stopping to color at the line.

One of the things that I have to live with is practice makes perfect. That's a fact of life. Since I don't repeat myself if I have any other choice that means I never seek nor attain perfection at what I do.

But, this but is important, most of my friends are perfectionists. They do it over and over until they get it right. I envy the end result but am unable to get behind all that practice.

What makes me good at what I do handicaps me at doing it perfect like they can. What makes them good at doing it perfectly stops them from doing what I do well.

So if you're like me, working on the fly, winging it and getting lucky on occasion, be thankfull. If you're someone who has to work at getting something down and then is obsessed with doing it until it's perfect, be thankfull.

http://harveylacey.com/wordpress/?p=161

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.