Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steel Beam for Garage

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing is the LSS will tell you what the beam will carrie but they will not tell you what the supporting structure can hold. And that is the key.
    A cherry picker is cheap and easy. Yes they are slow but how often due you really plan on puling and engine?
    Boddy bagger gave all the proper calcs but to be safe you need to go 5 times the rated live load to meet code. I know your system is at home in a garage but still it should meet code just to keep yourself alive

Comment

And you never gave us a weight you intend to lift although you did give us a description of what you intend to do.
      So for a 1 ton 12' long mono rail supported at the ends
      A W14X43 would work and give you enough extra to be safe.
      43 Lbs per foot = expensive stuff

Comment

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
        A W14X43 would work and give you enough extra to be safe.
        At 35,000 pounds that should be plenty of safety factor!
        Trolleys for wide flange beams are hard to find, once you find one, and get back up off the floor you may need to float a loan to pay for it.

Comment

Well... You guys point out some things I am not even thinking about. I ultimately wanted this beam in for pulling an engine on a Jeep. But instead of having the cherry picker tieing up a corner of my garage.. The trolley was going to be used so that I can just slide the chain hoist out of the way.

I was going to place the beam in the center of my garage bay so that when I have a heavier item (200-300 lb) I could raise it off the floor and roll my 1000# rated welding table under it.

I guess all in all the heaviest item would be that Jeep I-6 cylinder. I was also thinking of using it to maybe support the Jeep tub while I roll the frame out from under it.

I like the gantry crane idea as well as the cherry picker.. I guess I will have to weigh out the price/space available/ease of use.

Should I go with the gantry crane, I will build legs to support it and forego the use of the block wall.

Comment

Originally posted by shortgoroper View Post
            Should I go with the gantry crane, I will build legs to support it and forego the use of the block wall.
            These are decisions only you can make.
            Pipe is cheaper than square tube, for your loads you can get away with 4 inch schedule 80 pipe for the legs. With 3/4” x 12” x 12“ PL for the bearing plates, (w/ 3 1/2” thick slab).
            I would look at tying / securing your monarail / S-shape / wide flange beam into the block wall and the wooden beam.
            Two objectives when building shop cranes: 1, build a box if you can. 2, support the crane wherever you can so it cannot move.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
              At 35,000 pounds that should be plenty of safety factor!
              Trolleys for wide flange beams are hard to find, once you find one, and get back up off the floor you may need to float a loan to pay for it.
              Well I shot from the hip using dimensions I've used in the past. And granted I believe my w14X43 is actually a 2 ton beam not a one ton so yeah a bit of over kill.
              As for the trolly Well it depends on what you want to do and what you consider expensive.
              I have a 2 ton Cm loadstar with trolley in my shop looking for a home I'd be willing to part with it for cheap. It has a wide flange trolley on it.
              As for buying one well it would be cheaper to buy a hoist with a trolley attached. A yale or budget hoist would run about $1500 for a 1/2 ton unit.
              Our XN chain hoists with trolley would run upwards of $5K
              So yeah things can get expensive.

How much money do you plan to invest in this?? Crane systems are nice .... Nice and expensive

Place four columns in your garage. Columns should have a 10x10 base plate with 3/4" anchor bolts spaced 7x7" into the concrete floor min four inch depth. Span the top of the columns with w12x14
              then run a w12x14 from front to back of the two headers drill through and bolt all in place using 1/2" A325 bolts and nuts.
              This would give you a freestanding monorail system that could be rated for 1 ton. Load testing would be required
              Last edited by kcstott; 11-21-2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I like that site you recommended... I still might go with something like those yet.... I will build it then fasten it to the block wall and wood beam for stability.

Comment

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
                  Load testing would be required
                  Yeah, just be sure you wear one of these before load testing.

Comment

That ain't gonna help ya if a 500 lb beam comes falling on your head. The only thing it would be good for is to read the name on it so they know who was killed

Comment

Another wayyyyyyy overkill thread,,, hahahaha

Comment

Yeah, back in the day ..... just throw a rope around the truss, hang a come-a-long from it, pulled and installed engines with it all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                          Yeah, back in the day ..... just throw a rope around the truss, hang a come-a-long from it, pulled and installed engines with it all day long.
                          That's still an option

Comment

The reason . .

The reason for for the high cost of factory built gantry cranes beyond the obvious cost to built it yourself can be summed up in one word, "liability" . . .

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Wacko Welder View Post

The reason for for the high cost of factory built gantry cranes beyond the obvious cost to built it yourself can be summed up in one word, "liability" . . .

Steve
                              Very true
                              Our paper work on an inspection had better be perfect. if not it will come back an bite us in the butt

Comment

lifting

Go to your local scrap yard and but the strangest beam you can find. Then go to Harbor Freight and buy a trolley and 1 ton chain fall for 100 bucks. O yea don’t forget the lifting straps. Then when it all falls down you can call china with your lawsuit. JUST KIDDING! Lifting heavy loads is not something to mess around with. In my rigging training I learned 2 things, NEVER stand under the load, and NEVER use anything that is branded with the make CHINA.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.