Wrought Iron Fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrought Iron Fence

Hey folks, a friend of mine asked me to build him a fence for the front of his yard, and my question is this: are there any know issues as far legality/insurance problems if somebody happpens to hit the fence?
    Also, does anybody know of a good cheap supplier of fence/post finials?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

king ornamental iron huge catalogue find them on the web

Comment

http://www.kingmetals.com/
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

How do you mean 'hit the fence?' Like with a car?

The first issue you might want to look into is what the local code restrictions are on fences. If you listed your location, people here would be able to help more.

I built a wrought iron fence as my first project and documented it here.
        Jack Olsen
        The Garage (And its slideshow)
        The Car (And its slideshow)

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I live in Hutchinson Minnesota, and yes, i was meaning hit the fence with a car.

Comment

Originally posted by RTCmiller View Post
            are there any know issues as far legality/insurance problems if somebody happpens to hit the fence?
            The best person to answer that would be a lawyer. But as a layman, I can tell you what issues I would take a close look at if a family member suffered additional injuries in a collision with a fence.

Location.

So many people seem to have absolutely no understanding or respect for property lines when they are building a fence. Fences between private property can be haggled over by the neighbors, so they aren't too bad.

But fences between private property and a public right of way are another matter. People seem to think they own right up to the edge of the pavement. In fact, most communities have setback lines that make fences illegal within a certain distance of the actual property line.

If my wife hit a fence I'd be darn sure to find out if it was constructed in the public right of way or within the setback lines, which is illegal without consent of the governing body, or without a permit. I'd sue and claim that the fence should not have been there in the first place.

Doing something illegal that eventually causes an injury generally opens a person up to enhanced liability, such as punitive damages.

Otherwise, make it break-away... not constructed out of bollard posts that could kill a driver in an accident.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
            Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
            "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
            "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
            "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Sue for what?

Oh good lord
              Ed Conley
              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
              MM252
              MM211
              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I have built all types of fence on all types of streets, even state hwy's. Never had a problem.

As bodybagger said, if the fence was in the set-back area, yeah you may be opening your self up. Hitting a fence would be no different that hitting a tree, guardrail, concrete embankment, curb, etc. I would not loose sleep over it.
                NorthridgeFabrications.com

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                  Sue for what?

Oh good lord
                  For running over the guys fence?,If you cant keep the car between the sidewalks the fence isnt the problemMike

Comment

why would a car be aming for a fence. it would in my case I would rather have a car hit a fence insted of a five year old kid.

Comment

Oh I can see it now....someone hit's the fence that shouldn't have been there and was a bit too sturdy....owner get's sued and moves back fence and makes it a breakaway design.
                      Later while having a BBQ someone hits the fence and it gives way as designed... killing one of the guests and once again the homeowner gets his @$$ $ued off once more!!
                      In both cases the fabricator also got $ued and was found liable as well

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Pic one, old mailbox post .... 12" X 12" concrete, poured in place, lots of concrete below ground level.

Pics two and three, new mailbox, planter is made of 18 x 120(?) H-beam. With dirt and everything, my 5000# capacity field-lift, can move this only by using the wheel brakes, the steering axle barely touches the ground.

Nobody, even the drunks, have had the guts to run into either one yet

Anyway, that's what homeowner's insurance is for.
                        Attached Files
                        Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                          Anyway, that's what homeowner's insurance is for.
                          you might want to check ... just to be sure.
                          some policies in some places (depends on local rules/etc/etc)
                          say "we dont cover you if you do something you know (or should know)
                          that you should not do" (obviously, in more legalistical terms and all that).

frank

p.s. i do like the second one -- the big i/h/whatever beam/planter/...
                          looks neat

Comment

It was just a little scrap H-beam lying around,,,,, bored,,,,, ??? what to do????
                            Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Notice the second pic ..... If by chance one misses my planter, which happens to be just inside the line of the utility pole .......

Comment

Working...
                              X