Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truck Bed Drawer Slide

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Bed Drawer Slide

My buddy does flooring for a living and traded his van in on a pickup. After a couple months using a tonneau cover, we finally got him a camper shell last night. Great, except Phil is a large man and I don't see him easily getting stuff out of the front of the bed as the side windows on the camper are vent windows. I have been looking around at the in bed sliding drawers and was wondering if anyone has made one, or has any ideas as far as making the slides. It is only a short bed, but it would be nice if he could also use the table as a work surface when fully extended. Here is a link to one being installed. Anyone have any ideas, or have built one before?

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...eck/index.html

Originally posted by Joey-D View Post
    My buddy does flooring for a living and traded his van in on a pickup. After a couple months using a tonneau cover, we finally got him a camper shell last night. Great, except Phil is a large man and I don't see him easily getting stuff out of the front of the bed as the side windows on the camper are vent windows. I have been looking around at the in bed sliding drawers and was wondering if anyone has made one, or has any ideas as far as making the slides. It is only a short bed, but it would be nice if he could also use the table as a work surface when fully extended. Here is a link to one being installed. Anyone have any ideas, or have built one before?

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...eck/index.html

Hi

I recall that there was a discussion about exactly what you
    are talking about either on this forum or on the Hobart one
    (http://www.hobartwelders.com). Some quality time with the
    search tool on either site ought to get you what you're looking
    for.

Good luck

frank

Comment

thanks, I'll check it out. Only ever been on millerwelds....

Comment

I search here before I posted and searched the hobart site and still haven't found anything. Searched pirate4x4 and google to. Only home made ones I found were wooden.

Comment

Take at look at these, We have them in our fire/rescue trucks. They work well.
          You can get a idea of how they are built.
          www.slide-master.com

Comment

Expand your search a little bit, or maybe somebody can remember one of these threads ..... quite a few guys posted up pics and builds of slides, they mounted SA-200 Lincolns on, 1400# or so. Slide the machine out for full access, for servicing. Easily adaptable for what you want to do.

Comment

Just look at your kitchen drawers; do something basically the same, using angle iron frame bolted to the bed, formed or welded C-section for the sliding part, and cam followers for the rollers.

Comment

Cargobed makes a nice product. Yes it works similar to a drawer roller. My welder,cables,oxygen/acetylene bottles (approx 2000lbs) are mounted on my cargobed,on my welding rig.

Comment

I have a sliding frame I modified/built for my Bobcat so it can ride forward in the utility body and slide back so I can reach the controls without climbing into the truckbed, also so it can have more breathing room, since I have alot of other stuff mounted in the bed near the welder.

I ran accross an ad on Craig's List, the guy was selling a used Bed Slide unit for mini trucks for $100. Couldn't pass up the deal. I brought it home, took it all apart and started chopping it up. I skinnied up the width to 18" to match the width of the Bobcat and cut down the length a little under 6 feet. I reinforced the top and bottom frames and built a second support/mounting frame under the bottom frame.

The unit bolts into the bed floor and the Bobcat can slide up to 3 feet to the rear of the truck bed. This puts the face of the Bobcat about over the center of the tailgate when the tailgate is down. It works very well. Only thing is, the truck must be reasonably level to use it or it is either very difficult to slide it out, or very difficult slide it back in since the Bobcat and top frame are heavy.

In this pic the Bobcat is slide all the way into the truck bed.

In these pics, the Bobcat is slide most of the way out. It can slide about one more foot out, where it reaches the last safety stop I made for it so it won't slide all the way out onto the ground. There are 2 stop positions it can slide to before the final stop and stay in that position untill the handle is turned to disengage the stop pin. The loops on the front of the frame keep the top frame from being able to jump up off the bottom frame when the Bobcat is slid all the way in. The truck can only be driven safely with the frame slid all the way in, or risk the frames disconnecting on a big bump.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the frame as I was building it or before I put the Bobcat on it. I should have taken some.

Comment

The utility body on my truck also has a large 4'x8' storage drawer under the floor. I love this drawer! It is so useful and really is main reason I wanted this body.

In these pics, the drawer is slid about 2/3 of the way out. The drawer is about 8" deep. I took these pics a couple years ago and have since packed the drawer with alot more leads, cords and hoses. I wish I had a second drawer on top of this one!

Comment

Nice neat setup desertrider but is that drawer always that neat and tidy?

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
                        Nice neat setup desertrider but is that drawer always that neat and tidy?
                        LOL. I do try to keep it as organized as I can. With so many cords in there, it has the potential to become a big tangled mess if I don't keep on top of it.

Comment

The company that makes my utility body, Phenix Truck Bodies, in Pomona CA, also makes a sliding bed tray. They make the big drawer as a seperate unit that can be placed in the bottom of any 8' pickup bed. Pics of the seperate drawer unit can be seen HERE

http://www.fleetwest.net/LNG_slide.html

Comment

Pretty good. I love that drawer also.

Comment

Just found this

I was just looking through a farm magazine when I came across this website.

http://www.quickdrawtoolboxes.com/

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.