Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum Tig Welding Help!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Tig Welding Help!

Hey guys ,

Thanks for all the help getting me to weld like a pro with the maxtar 140

I can pretty much weld crackerjack no matter what the rig entails, metal type and how to use the machine so thanks!

I finally got a chance to mess around some serious machines at the tech school. THE BIG DIGITAL ONES THAT DO EVERYTHING

I tried to get in that place for years. i found the trick. Take welding 2. i was told that at emissions. 150.00 pencil me in lol

OK, now i got to use the big machines. Took a few tries to get used to the machines as they are the big bad *** machines as I had to figure out what a lot more meant. My stick welds look fine with every type rod including the expensive ni rods.... the good ones lol I even learned a cool circular weave to ad to the collection of weaves. Mig, same deal. I had to figure out the machine. The teach was surprised I was so good with flux core steel as I usually use it for most welds where a mig could be used.

OK. Now comes the problem .... TIG.

The teach Gave me a real fast run through on a bellhousing i brought in. He left a piece for me to finish which I burnt through. He laughed and fixed it for me. He hooked me up with a bunch of rods and some thin metal. I would say 1/16. It took me about a half hour to get a bead and I was starting to get a good weld. Now the second week..... I either distorted the metal , cracked it or over penetrated it. I tried every setting that I had used the week before and constantly cleaned the tungsten. Same deal and a lot of welding ***** to boot.

I couldn't get anything working. Teach was doing something for the school and I didn't want to bother him.

Guys let me know any secrets or tricks. the only things I know ar to set the machine to DC , set the machine to tig and make sure the gas is on.

Quite truthfully I don't even know the proper amount of gas to use.

I figure him to be busy with another school project so you guys are my only hope.

School is in like 2 hours lol

ONE MAIN THING I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS

1 HOW FAR TO KEEP THE TUNGSTEN FROM THE METAL?
    2 AT WHAT ANGLE?
    3 HOW DO I KNOW WHEN TO STOMP THE FOOT PEDAL AND HOW HARD?
    4 HOW TO SET THAT MACHINE FOR THE METAL? PENETRATION FLOW ETC..
    5 GAS SETTING.... STRAIGHT ARGON?
    6 BEST WAY TO PREPARE THE METAL?

I figure that will at least get me in the ballpark.

I know this process will take some time to master. Just need a jump start. after last week

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP lol

be good guys

how far should the tungsten pertrude the torch

Comment

Hello sir,

You said you were using DC on alum? if so switch to AC and you will have much better luck! 1/16 thick you would need at most maybe 60-70 amps give or take, use straight argon, straight cone/nozzle with no gas lens set argon flow at 15 to 20 on flow meter, dont need a long time on post flow just enough time to protect the tungsten, try a few of these things and it should help.

Comment

One more thing, stick tung out approx 1/8" out and keep approx 1/8" from puddle, angle torch straight up and down, prepare alum edges with scotch brite approx 3/8" from joint, hope this helps

Comment

walleye ! is right but you also need high frequence for alunimun

Comment

Opps!! Thanks i knew i was forgetting something!!

Comment

My bad,

I meant AC. That was the first thing I was told lol

I tried what you said.

I figured out my problem was with the pedal. As soon as I got that shiny color flowing I was ok.

I have question about howI should set penatration and balance. I set penatration low after a peice I did the week before and the post flow knob as well. The balance I set back right in the middle. What is best for just making laps with the thin metal?

I was using the machine at 75 amp with straight Argon. I found that to work best on the light stuff. I had the gas at 15

I have been told that aluminum will take some time to perfect and the teach saw my beads and said good job. A problem though is that im a rookie and my beads are not straight . He said no big deal cause you just got the hard part down. Any tips there?

I was holding the rod at 10-20 if I was dragging it or a bit more if I dipped and drug.

On to 2 weeks from now when I am probably going to take a shot at a set of aluminum heads.

How should I set the machine up?

Teach did my bellhousing for me and that thing had cracks and was missing peices . He had the juice up over 200 I think.

He told me you can always add metal so dont rush it . Do what you can machine it then weld what else looks to need to be evened out as I was trying to get a lot on it so I could machine it to perfection.

Well he did a sweet job with the welding and showed me a few rigs like cutting a few peices out and making new peices and then welding it together.

I did the machine work and gave the thing a good but fast metal shot with arc 51 shot and It looks like it just left the cast. No sign of a repair!

I had read somewhere that for the thicker stufff like an intake or set of heads a mix of argon helium should be used. I asked the teach and he told me the same thing. Does anyone know why? This was also in the same article . It said to use a stainless metal brush and have a scotch bright. It also said to brush in the same direction.

One last thing. There is a Tig PDF on the site. Is it worth the download?

Thanks a bunch walleye and hd

Comment

Merci
                Thanks
                Danken
                Ringraziare
                Agradecer
                شكرا

Comment

Go to lincolns knowledgebase and look at tig welding. There is a lot of good info there, and it comes from experts in the field. Same for any other process. They don't care if your machines are blue, lol, all they are out for is to spread knowledge.

Comment

Thanks Jolly,

I will do that.

I heard those yellow guys dont play by the same rules

A quick question. I am finally starting to get it down for the most part. How long does tig on aluminum take to perfect?

Also. I have a lot of aluminum car parts like heads. How should I set up the gas as I was told that Helium ionizes hotter then Argon. A 75/25 or 50/50 Argon/Helium mix would work better on the thick stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.