Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

building a firewood storage rack. questions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

genius Dudes to the rescue.

Thank You. Just had A Sunday Dinner and can't do another thing.

God Bless.

Comment

Firewood rack

Here (if my attachment works) is what I have done for a firewood rack. The one with the rounded top was one I purchased in a garage sale. The taller one I made with 1" square tube. I put two bends in a 10 ft piece to make a big inverted 'U' I welded the U to a 1 ft piece of 2" X 4" tubing. I added a brace between the two pieces of 2 X 4 tube and run a woo 2 X 4 between two of these. I usually run them about 10 ft long. I put a patio stone under each end and so far it has worked flawlessly.

They are pretty cheap and easy to build. So far, all of mine go up against a wall.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
        Since it is going on top of the patio just 86 the Feet.
        I would keep the feet.
        Gunk builds up -- leaves, etc, which hold water from rain,
        and then the wood starts to rot. Keeping the feet
        lets air circulate, etc, and the wood will stay dry(er).

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by fjk View Post
          I would keep the feet.
          Gunk builds up -- leaves, etc, which hold water from rain,
          and then the wood starts to rot. Keeping the feet
          lets air circulate, etc, and the wood will stay dry(er).

Frank
          Rain- yeah forgot about that since I think I see it twice a year.

Comment

Corner Joint

Comment

Rain- yeah forgot about that since I think I see it twice a year.
              If the o.p. was in the other Portland (on the Upper Right Coast), we'd also
              be talking snow (cold fluffy white frozen water vapor that falls from the
              sky and causes people to drive like utter morons and gives kids a day
              off from school. :-)

frank

Comment

If the rack is going up against a wall I might consider making the front feet a fraction of an inch taller (depends on height) than the rear one say half or quarter of an inch. This will help keep it from falling forward somewhat if you don't or cant anchor the rack for some reason. If you do this I'd also say to add something to the back to keep the wood from damaging the wall in case of bad/careless stacking just in case.

Comment

I am overwhelmed by the excellent responses- Thank You.

I am downsizing it based on BodyBaggers calculations- It would be a catastrophe to mess up a nice patio- Thank You. I'll just have to store wood elsewhere and more evenly distributed.

This rack is for the convenience of having a tidy patio area and NOT walking on the grass which will soon be a mucky Oregon clay mess.

I'll get 'er done. Better ponder for a bit more and make sure I meet my homes needs.
                  Last edited by Johnny; 11-02-2009, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Olsen View Post
                    As a point of reference, Metals Depot's prices are ridiculous.

1"x1"x24' 16ga from them is $23. My price for a 20' length in Los Angeles (where things ain't exactly cheap) is only $6.
                    ahh but the flip side is that materials are cheaper since there is more competition in Los Angeles.

Comment

ahh but the flip side is that materials are cheaper since there is more competition in Los Angeles.
                      Ed; $23.00 is Not unheard of here in Ontario ! Nor Unusual !

........ Norm :

Comment

Here's a few pics to spark some ideas. Had some bad storms this summer and knocked a few trees down on my property. Had so much wood didn't know what to do with it. A friend gave me a bunch of scrap steel from a pallet for a hot tub and the material laid out perfect for a new firewood rack. I had one already, which was a store bought rack. The store bought one has lasted a long time, longer than I thought it would considering how cheaply constructed it seems. The one I made will definitely outlast it though... was also more fun to put together.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I know this is a welding site but

Im all for burning metal but the only way I would a project like this out of steel is if it was free scraps. I built mine out of presure treated and I think think it only cost me like 30 bucks and I even roofed it with leftover shingles I had from my shed.

Just a thought.... Metal will stain a deck or patio atleast mine did. I can take a pic if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb9550 View Post
                            Im all for burning metal but the only way I would a project like this out of steel is if it was free scraps. I built mine out of presure treated and I think think it only cost me like 30 bucks and I even roofed it with leftover shingles I had from my shed.

Just a thought.... Metal will stain a deck or patio atleast mine did. I can take a pic if you want.
                            I read all of the posts and it's all good. I haven't bought any materials and am not too snobby to use wood or drive posts into the ground. Lets face it...I want a welding project if for no other reason than to irritate my noise sensitive neighbor. She came out at 1:00pm and requested that I stop sawing (chainsaw) firewood for 30 minutes so her kids could sleep- wtf.

Does the water bureau or power company re-schedule when their noise doesn't suit me? No.

I stopped and told her "I do mind" when she asked "would you mind..." her husband, who I previously got along with, is snubbing me. It must be agreat piece of A$$ to put up with other ridiculous requests of that nature.Done raving.

Simple pressure treated posts will help the situation, at least for storing in another area, and it is inexpensive.

Thank Guys
                            Last edited by Johnny; 11-06-2009, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I have access to no cost used pipe so that is my material of choice. A problem with tubing of any sort is that the inside is almost impossible to protect so humidity tends to eventually rot it from the inside out especially horizontal members.
                              Attached Files

Comment

That sucks with the nieghbors. Some folks are real goofy like that. I would never tell ask them to stop cutting the grass so my son could sleep. Heck I didnt even say anything to the kid that was screaming up and down the street in his mini bike with no muffler (super loud) when he was napping.

Here are a couple pics to give you an idea of what I did. I painted it to match the shed. I didnt use 4x4 in the ground. Just 2x4's. I can move it if I like. I enclosed the sides with fence picket boards and added a roof to match the shed. Its straight. The angle of the pics through it off. The intent wasnt to take a pic of the wood rack. Its just in the background..

If you want more detail pics, I could walk out and snap some better photos.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by mikeb9550; 11-07-2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.