Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army tank welds

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army tank welds

Well, I was watching some show called incredible machines and they did a peice on military tanks. Im not much of a military buff so the name of the tank eludes me. Suffice it to say that it is the US military's cats ***, top of the heap tank and it has over a half ton of weldments in its construction.. thats like a 100 miles of weld or something dumb like that...

Todays peice of useless information- no charge.

Originally posted by SignWave View Post
    Well, I was watching some show called incredible machines and they did a peice on military tanks. Im not much of a military buff so the name of the tank eludes me. Suffice it to say that it is the US military's cats ***, top of the heap tank and it has over a half ton of weldments in its construction.. thats like a 100 miles of weld or something dumb like that...

Todays peice of useless information- no charge.
    Cat's what????

Comment

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
      Cat's what????
      I bet he meant 'azz'.

You know it's the 'cats azz'

Comment

that sir, would be the M-1 Abrahms

Comment

M1, top of the heap when it comes to main battle tanks. Marines and Army both use it. That was a cool show that showed them rebuilding them, Like new when done and saves a ton of money

Comment

Originally posted by welder_one View Post
            that sir, would be the M-1 Abrahms
            Thats the one. It hit me whilst laying in bed this morning. Errr no tthe tank, just its name... hehehehe. In some places the steel is a foot thick. How in blazes would you cut through that? I think that my trusty hatchet is outmatched...

Comment

I think that some tanks are also covered in D/U (depleted Uranium). Its really nasty stuff , but when they are hit by gun fire, W.H.Y. the energy is absorbed and dissipated. I saw some army training film on how the repair battle damaged D/U armor. Nasty,Nasty stuff.

Do a YouTube search on D/U. Not sure you'll like what you see though...kinda shook me a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
                Cat's what????
                This interpretive photograph should lend a helping hand...

Hahahahahahahahaaa!!!!

I think i might get booted from the sight.... Hahahahahahaa!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Man, I thought that photo was a Locomotive's Headlight coming out of a tunnel......I believe they make the Abrams in Lima Ohio, I used to see them being freighted by Rail when I lived in Cleveland in the 80's. Paul

Comment

the armor plating is several layers thick. thinner layers to make one big layer. there is even aluminum in the layers. they use friction stir welding to weld the skirting and now setting up machines to weld the frames now. even researching making trailers with it. i saw a link to a video with friction welding, if i can find it again, i will post it.

Comment

here is that link. it is a little scary though. so watch in dismay as they find another machine to replace the common working man

http://www.ctc.com/learnaboutctc/FSW_proj.cfm

Comment

The last time I saw anything on Friction welding was about ten years ago at least. One of the aircraft manufacturers(boeing??) was putting it to use in the contruciton of 747's. They were smearing large sheets of aluminum together in order to make wing sheathing and fuselage sheathing. I thought it was pretty cool how they could join two sheets without using any heat.

Comment

Awesome link welder_one. I see the Marines new amtrac is welded with that process, really cool, thanks

Comment

It's also used to weld the frame of the Ford GT 500. Why's depleted urainium so nasty?

Comment

Originally posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
                              It's also used to weld the frame of the Ford GT 500. Why's depleted urainium so nasty?
                              Good question. I think it's because of the word radioactive.
                              Uranium is a naturally occuring substance. Outside of Golden Colorado are hillsides that show the marks of the old uranium mines that have been played out and (purposely) collapsed.

The tailings are still there.

DU is only 60% as 'radioactive' as those tailings. They don't call it 'depleted' for no treason. People hike and walk their dogs over uranium every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.