Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made a trailer tongue toolbox, check it out

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a trailer tongue toolbox, check it out

I have no storage on my trailer, so I decided to throw together a toolbox. This will mount in the area inside the tongue where the spare tire currently sits. Spare tire will be moved underneath.

Its all made from 1/8 HRS plate. I sheared it myself at a local shop. They charged me $50 to use their big mechanical shear for an hour - an awesome deal IMO. Plasma cutting would have warped it too much and laser / waterjet is just too expensive.

Took probably 50-60 hours of time total, including design. No parts were bent in any way. All parts were welded together as outside corner joints and ground smooth to look like they were bent. That includes the main box (12 seams) and the lid (3 seams). First the grinder, then 30 grit sander, then 80 grit sander. Yeah, that part kinda sucked.

Lift struts, rod ends, ball studs, and latch all came from McMaster Carr. Hinges and foam tape came from Lowe's. All powdercoated black so hopefully the rust stays away for quite a while. Grade 8 hardware because its bling. :lol:

I've got about $200 into it total. Its a little more than I wanted to spend, but its exactly what I want and will last forever. It takes up all the available space in the tongue of my trailer, so I should be able to store a ton of stuff in it.

Tongue area (everything behind the torsion bar mounts). Old picture when the trailer was being built, but you get the idea.

Plate after shearing.

Outside corner joints with ideal penetration inside

All finished

After powdercoat

Comment

Comment

Looks good. Nice work man.

Comment

sorry that's not going to work for you. your going to have to send that one to me and start over. just kidding looks great.

is that the trailer i remember from some time ago that had a white chevy in front of it?

Comment

Really nice work and pleanty functional. Curious, how much does it weigh? I was thinking of building one but I was leaning towards aluminum. Again, nice job

Comment

yep thats a very nice box
              good job
              are you going to put a wood floor on the trailer or ???
              gary...

Comment

Originally posted by vin-man welding View Post
                sorry that's not going to work for you. your going to have to send that one to me and start over. just kidding looks great.

is that the trailer i remember from some time ago that had a white chevy in front of it?
                maybe?

old picture

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                  Really nice work and pleanty functional. Curious, how much does it weigh? I was thinking of building one but I was leaning towards aluminum. Again, nice job
                  Darn heavy. Has to be approaching 100#.

Comment

Originally posted by glh View Post
                    yep thats a very nice box
                    good job
                    are you going to put a wood floor on the trailer or ???
                    gary...
                    Yup.

Comment

Current picture of trailer and what gets hauled on it.

Comment

Would love to have the dimensions and where you purchased your hardware at. What gauge was your sheet metal?

Comment

looks real good. but did you save a money building a box vs buying one.

Comment

CK

I was reading your post and trying to think of some nasty joking comment to post. However, l look at you as being an ARTISAN and there is absolutely nothing I can say other than what you build is QUALITY. You make me ENVY you to the utmost !

I do have some questions, tho. Did you build the trailer frame ? I would imagine you did, since I haven't seen a mobile home frame that has that secondary bracing that is in yours.

How long did it take to build it ?

How much does it weigh ? And do you have any idea what the capacity is ?

I have a trailer that I have put almost 5 tons on but the steel rails bowed/sagged some and I would like to have a trailer, even if it has to have oak rails, that would carry more than what I have.

Roger

Comment

MKS

WHO CARES if CK saved any $$$$ ? When you build something, it is YOURS and it doesn't matter if it cost you TEN TIMES what you could have bought it from Horrible Fright ?!?

Or TWENTY times from McMaster....

Today, I spent most of the afternoon building a frame for a pump to filter oil for my diesel truck. I could have bought one for about a hundo but I still have the SATISFACTION of knowing it is MINE. And I still forsee another weekend fixing what I did today....

Do you have children ? The main rule in life is that YOU PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN ! No matter what.

I protect my projects, even if they take me WEEKS to build.

It's what he wanted and if he needs to modify it, he knows what to do.

Got that ?

Roger

(flame suit ON !)

PS
                              CK
                              How did that one beer commercial say, several years ago ?

LOVE YOU, MAN !

Originally posted by m.k.swelding View Post
                              looks real good. but did you save a money building a box vs buying one.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.