Some of my projects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of my projects

Seen here somewhere a guy asking about building a grain trailer. I end up building specialty trailers that can't be bought to fit our needs. Usually try to use something that can be adapted,or at least give a good starting point. This isn't a grain trailer,but you could start the same way. Rolled her out of the shop today.

This one started life as a railroad container hauling frame. Since their containers are self supporting all they have for a trailer frame is a 4"x12" I-beam,with 1/4" flanges and a 3/16" web. Basically enough to connect the 5th wheel plate to the axles. But, you can buy them cheap. The axles are rated heavy enough,and the light frame makes a good jig for hanging steel. This was a 48'er,only needed a 40'.

Sorry for the quality,snapped everything with the cellphone.

more pics coming.....................................

some more,

more coming..........

Comment

and more,

Comment

Tested everything out this afternoon.

Comment

This was a fun project in 100 degr. heat. Had to replace the cone on this mixing vatt. Since I had to manage this myself I constructed a small crane to help place the pieces. Also worked well to ride it around while welding the inside.

Comment

Comment

Took about a week to finish it. Glad there were no leaks, I was half sick and went home early the last day.

Comment

really nice, great job
                gary...

Comment

Ah yes. It's the little things in life we do. You guys and your fabrication skills simply amaze the **** out of me.....

very nice work...

mike

Comment

I like the way your trailer turend out.

Comment

Thanks,

The trailer is for tendering our 1600 gal. floaters (spray rigs) in the field. In the past we'd take our retired over-the-road trucks,and drop a 3200 gal. tank on the tractor for a handy twin screw nurse truck for the field. But with the cost of diesel fuel we're starting to build semi trailers that'll require half the trips.

This trailer has 4-1600 gal. compartments,with the ability to recirculate individually,or transfer from tank to tank. The 4"x3" pump is hydr. driven,the plumbing stainless. On the center deck we can load herbicide and pesticide totes that can be metered through the inductor as the machines are loaded. On the front deck is a diesel tank for refueling the rigs,and a water tank (again with a small hydr. pump). The tanks and all the plumbing have to be self draining,as we run through the winter.

Comment

Built this lowboy last year for hauling one of our rowcrop spray rigs. This trailer was an old oilfield flatbed we had parked in the hedge. Stripped all the weight off we could,then hung the ramps,and mounted a 3200 gal. tank so a one man show can tender himself. Again there's an inductor,but this time used a gas powered pump so a truck with a wet kit isn't needed.

There are turn posts at the rear for help lining up the rig as it loads. You can be off 4" and they will slide the rig straight as you drive on. The side rails and ramps remove for trailer wheel access. The front wheels drop into a cradle,then 2-4" ratchet straps suck the rig down. Loads and unloads in just a few minutes.

Whenever these old trailer chassis are used,the axles,brakes,airlines,lighting and wiring all get redone. Then sandblasted to bare metal before painting.

Comment

An overhead project,

Added two cone tanks to this structure,after extending the main frame. Above,welded up a subframe to hold a platform I built ahead of time. The new platform carries shaker screens,and shop built chainveyers and beltveyers.

Comment

A monster garage project,

This started out as a rusty dry spreader. How it looked after stripping it down and lengthening the frame 4'.

This is what it looks like now. Everything but the large tank and rolling chassis had to be fabricated oversized. I even had to custom build the nozzles. It's a one of a kind,with 3 times the capacity than anything on the market.

These vids will explain what it does.

custom lime spreader
                            maxxed out

Comment

Working...
                            X