Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pipe welding question?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pipe welding question?

    I know there are alot of you hardcore pipe guys on this board.Me not being one of them as many of you know i,m mostly involed in heavy equipment,structural steel.I just finished welding a pipe job mostly 6"and5" and a little 4".This is steam pipe off a oil fired furance.I root passed everything with 1/8" 5P+ lincoln and capped with 7018-H4R 1/8" Excalibur.The contractor who subbed me in tacked/fit all of it together with a 110vFluxcore mig,and said it will see 4psi.I actually called a friend/another welding co owner. and picked his brain and he this is how he does it.Could this have been done with all 5P+?As he stated the code says Lo-Hi 70xx caps welds.Oh and i did snap a couple of pics.
    Attached Files
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

  • #2
    Originally posted by admweld View Post
    I know there are alot of you hardcore pipe guys on this board.Me not being one of them as many of you know i,m mostly involed in heavy equipment,structural steel.I just finished welding a pipe job mostly 6"and5" and a little 4".This is steam pipe off a oil fired furance.I root passed everything with 1/8" 5P+ lincoln and capped with 7018-H4R 1/8" Excalibur.The contractor who subbed me in tacked/fit all of it together with a 110vFluxcore mig,and said it will see 4psi.I actually called a friend/another welding co owner. and picked his brain and he this is how he does it.Could this have been done with all 5P+?As he stated the code says Lo-Hi 70xx caps welds.Oh and i did snap a couple of pics.
    Are those welds complete?? If you are a certified welder then you should know what code you need to weld to. If he's hiring as a welder with no ticket or certs in Canada you would be liable if someone gets hurt or property damage. It may only have 4psi working pressure but if something goes wrong in the system the pressure could spike extremely high. I've welded a ton of pipe where they said it's only 2 or 4 psi but could spike as high as 2000psi. So that being said you should look at the drawings and determine what the best plan of action is. Just my opinion ,Jef

    Comment


    • #3
      As if 2 or 4 psi were a welding requirement why cap at all? Just weld it to hold 5 psi ya good to go. Since it be subbed to you then weld the pipe to code. If dude doesn't like it, let him get another sub. Then again do ya trust his flux core fit up?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
        Are those welds complete?? If you are a certified welder then you should know what code you need to weld to. If he's hiring as a welder with no ticket or certs in Canada you would be liable if someone gets hurt or property damage. It may only have 4psi working pressure but if something goes wrong in the system the pressure could spike extremely high. I've welded a ton of pipe where they said it's only 2 or 4 psi but could spike as high as 2000psi. So that being said you should look at the drawings and determine what the best plan of action is. Just my opinion ,Jef
        I agree with Wicked One.

        My thoughts: If you are certified then you should be using the prucedure that you're certified under. If thier are no codes or stated procedure, like a WPS, then yes 6010/7018 is a good choice. (By good choice I mean, I would choose it.)
        Could it be done with just 6010? Yes
        Could it be done with a lot of other rods? Yes
        6010/7018 is the industry standard for low pressure in-plant process piping.
        Are you re-tacking with 6010 and grinding out the FC tacks?
        '08 F-350
        Vantage 400
        SA-250
        SA-200
        Invertec V350Pro
        Invertec V205T-AC/DC

        Miller 12VS suitcase
        Miller spectrum 2050

        Pipe beveler's
        Track torch

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
          Are those welds complete?? If you are a certified welder then you should know what code you need to weld to. If he's hiring as a welder with no ticket or certs in Canada you would be liable if someone gets hurt or property damage. It may only have 4psi working pressure but if something goes wrong in the system the pressure could spike extremely high. I've welded a ton of pipe where they said it's only 2 or 4 psi but could spike as high as 2000psi. So that being said you should look at the drawings and determine what the best plan of action is. Just my opinion ,Jef
          I have certs for D1.1,14.3 and 9.1.I have no certs for pipe, as i stated i,m not big into doing pipe work,i know the rules up north are strictly inforced.I have never seen a drawing on this job again i,m not running it.As for not having pipe certs i have liabilty insurance to protect my intrests/assets.And been welding 23years now so i,m pretty confident i handle this job ok was just looking for a straight answer thats it.... Now can anyone just answer my question about welding it all the way out with 5p+.For some strange reason i knew when i posted on this pipe subject i was gonna take some !@#$.
          BB402D
          TB300D
          DIMENSION652
          MM250X
          MAXSTAR140
          S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
          HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you rig hand answer me while i,m typing.
            Last edited by admweld; 10-04-2009, 10:16 AM.
            BB402D
            TB300D
            DIMENSION652
            MM250X
            MAXSTAR140
            S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
            HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

            Comment


            • #7
              I have syncrowave 250 dx

              Hi there, i have a problem i need weld aluminum tube 16 gauge and i don't know amperage setting thank you for you help

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MIYUZ View Post
                Hi there, i have a problem i need weld aluminum tube 16 gauge and i don't know amperage setting thank you for you help
                You need to start a thread in the welding decussion forum. Try to add a little more info if you want a good reply.
                '08 F-350
                Vantage 400
                SA-250
                SA-200
                Invertec V350Pro
                Invertec V205T-AC/DC

                Miller 12VS suitcase
                Miller spectrum 2050

                Pipe beveler's
                Track torch

                Comment


                • #9
                  [QUOTE=admweld;Now can anyone just answer my question about welding it all the way out with 5p+.For some strange reason i knew when i posted on this pipe subject i was gonna take some !@#$.[/QUOTE]

                  First I would never have anyone tack a pipe weld that I was going to be resposible for, now for your main question. Yes you can weld out from root to cover pass with 5p and for many years most if not all the geothermal steam fields here in the west were welded strickly with 5p. The change over to capping out with 7018 came about in the early 90's but the code is still good, they just stepped it up. There are several hundred miles of 4 to 42" steam line still in service welded this way. Bottom line if your job requires a code to be adhered to, follow the code. Hope this helps
                  Last edited by Geysers; 10-04-2009, 10:20 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "It may only have 4psi working pressure but if something goes wrong in the system the pressure could spike extremely high. I've welded a ton of pipe where they said it's only 2 or 4 psi but could spike as high as 2000psi."

                    A steam heating system, if well designed, should never go above 2PSI. The Empire State building is heated with 2PSI. That is why the piping is so large. Relief valves are set at 15 or 30 PSI. If a cast iron boiler spiked to 2000PSI, the boiler itself would explode! Not to mention the fact that most schedule 40 fittings are rated at only 150 PSI. If a low pressure steam heating system hits 5 PSI the system was designed wrong.

                    RonL
                    RonL

                    Big Blue 500 CC/CV
                    CST 280
                    Hypertherm Powermax 1650
                    Suitcase 12 RC
                    24A Feeder

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      update/completed,running

                      The guy/contractor started this system up last week.Not one leak/problem with any of the 40+ connections i did so i,m pretty happy with myself.I have never done this big/type of a pipe job in my 15years operating but its good to know that i can handle this type of work should i ever get a call for this again.
                      BB402D
                      TB300D
                      DIMENSION652
                      MM250X
                      MAXSTAR140
                      S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                      HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Can’t ask for much more than that!
                        Caution!
                        These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by admweld View Post
                          The guy/contractor started this system up last week.Not one leak/problem with any of the 40+ connections i did so i,m pretty happy with myself.I have never done this big/type of a pipe job in my 15years operating but its good to know that i can handle this type of work should i ever get a call for this again.
                          Good deal.

                          Hope my project goes that good, had 6 mirror welds yesterday. I bet 5 of them leak.

                          Congratulations.
                          '08 F-350
                          Vantage 400
                          SA-250
                          SA-200
                          Invertec V350Pro
                          Invertec V205T-AC/DC

                          Miller 12VS suitcase
                          Miller spectrum 2050

                          Pipe beveler's
                          Track torch

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
                            Good deal.

                            had 6 mirror welds yesterday. I bet 5 of them leak.

                            Congratulations.
                            LOL that's funny

                            I can remember a welding job that i did way back when i was starting out, was welding on the ships that travel the Great Lakes.

                            so the foreman told me to put in a new 2" fuel line from the tank to engine room, i asked him if he wanted it welded or threaded all he said was he did not want any leaks.................... I said right, THREADED it is.

                            Railmen.
                            2007 Trailblazer 302G
                            2004 Invision 354MP
                            1999 60 series feeder
                            2005 Maxstar 200DX
                            2007 CST280
                            1999 HF 251-1
                            older Hobart hefty wire feeder
                            Hyperthrem 600
                            Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
                            had and sold........
                            2003 XMT 304CC/CV
                            1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
                            1963 Lincoln SA200G
                            1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
                            1970's Lincoln SAE400G
                            2 Maxstar's 200DX's
                            1 Maxstar 200SD
                            CST 280
                            2 CST 250
                            MM130


                            Railmen

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hi Adam, I to also do misc. pipe welding usually on gas from 3" to 6".

                              I like to run 6010 5P plus on the root, fill and cap with 7018 ex calibur.

                              I always power brush or grind between passes to insure no slag deposits.

                              I'm like you very confident in my welding since Ive been welding evrything under the sun for the last 24 years.

                              I also have a D1.1 cert.

                              Last year I had a stainless tig job that had about 130 joints and the contractor called me up to say that there were 2 leaks.
                              Both leaks were due to the poor casting of the elbows which were not near my welds. The stainless fitting came from the Philipines and I was not the purchaser.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X