Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tooling on a budget

G'day Folks'
    Been lurking on here for a while now absorbing all the knowledge i can from whoever i can, so I thought i might share a few photo's of my latest project. After pricing tube rollers and benders i realized i aint got a hope in the world of affording one so I am going to attempt to make my own. My problem was how to make the radius cut in the dies without some fancy cnc lathe or mill. So this is what I've come up with it mounts in the tool holder on the lathe and hopefully when i turn the handle it will cut an arc for me . The tool holder adjusts and locks off via a grub screw and it should cut from as little as a half inch Radius, I havent tested it yet and will post results of the first test when i get time.Any feedback welcome I am not a machinist but havin a crack and hoping for some half decent results.
    Cheers Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sparks Downunder; 09-28-2009, 04:53 AM.

http://www.finelinehair.com/home/ball_turner.htm

there is a different type of ball turner thats home made. note that its reversible and can do an out side radius.

Andy
    Dynasty 200DX
    MillerMatic 211
    Hypertherm Max 42

Comment

Bugger

Hi Andyman,
      I like that design and wish i had seen it before i put the hours into this one, oh well looks like i gotta make on for outside curves now, not sure how that would work on larger diameter stock for tubing dies though, thanks for the reply its given me plenty to think about for a future project.
      Cheers Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks Downunder View Post
        Hi Andyman,
        I like that design and wish i had seen it before i put the hours into this one, oh well looks like i gotta make on for outside curves now, not sure how that would work on larger diameter stock for tubing dies though, thanks for the reply its given me plenty to think about for a future project.
        Cheers Steve
        Hey Sparks, go to the offroadfabnet.com and search tube bending and bender's there are several people that have made their own dies and bender's and I'm sure they would be more than happy to send you plan's or tell you how to do it. There is so much info on bending tube you will get bored reading it. Enjoy, Jef

Comment

Nice job post some pics when you use it. I built one a few years ago. Mine will do 3" ba ll or a 1 1/2" radius...Bob
          Attached Files
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Working...
          X