Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Rail wheel repair 580/Case

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Rail wheel repair 580/Case

Got called out last week to repair this.Wanted to share a couple of pics.They liked the repair so much called me back 3 days later and said redo the other side,they didn,t like the look of the welding/safety concerns.
    Attached Files

What do they use the wheel for?

Comment

Nice fix admweld.

I believe there is another mate to this wheel on the opposite side of the bucket. The bucket is lowered on to the RR track and holds the front wheels off the rail, and then they can drive the backhoe on the rail. Since the front wheels on the bucket don't pivot the fat rear tires just follow along.

Comment

Looks like a good fix,well done.If I saw work like that I would get you back again.

Comment

nice job looks great just did something similar last week.

Comment

"Fillet 101"

admweld: Good looking fillets! They should have you re-do the plate too

Dave

Comment

nice to have a simple fix every now and then

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                admweld: Good looking fillets! They should have you re-do the plate too

Dave
                Dave, plate welds look weak, but in actuallity the plate is probably thick enough, and large enough, it is only there to keep from caving in that portion of the bucket, that is supporting the weight. When you think about the leverage, it is far easier to rip the wheel, off the plate, than it is to rip the plate off the bucket. I think, after Billy's repair, the RR is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by m.k.swelding View Post
                  nice to have a simple fix every now and then
                  Yes, it is nice. Your point being??????

Comment

"Home Plate"

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                    Dave, plate welds look weak, but in actuallity the plate is probably thick enough, and large enough, it is only there to keep from caving in that portion of the bucket, that is supporting the weight. When you think about the leverage, it is far easier to rip the wheel, off the plate, than it is to rip the plate off the bucket. I think, after Billy's repair, the RR is safe.
                    JS: Yeah, you're probably right, they just looked a bit tawdry compared to those nice new fillets. What do you think, 7018 H4R, or wire? Looks like 7018's. (the new ones, the old ones look like Bazooka Joe).

Dave
                    Last edited by davedarragh; 09-28-2009, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Myself, Small job like that, not even worth dragging the LN25 out for. But it's the man on site that makes the decision, whatever Billy decides, considering time, whatever he has on the truck, and what he's comfortable with. I wouldn't think of second-guessing him.

Comment

what i used

Myself, Small job like that, not even worth dragging the LN25 out for. But it's the man on site that makes the decision, whatever Billy decides, considering time, whatever he has on the truck, and what he's comfortable with. I wouldn't think of second-guessing him.
                        Exactly Joe not worth dragging out my S-32.I used Lincoln Excalibur 7018-H4R, 1/8 Dia.Thanks for the compliments on the welds,but they where all flat position.

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                          JS: Yeah, you're probably right, they just looked a bit tawdry compared to those nice new fillets. What do you think, 7018 H4R, or wire? Looks like 7018's. (the new ones, the old ones look like Bazooka Joe).

Dave
                          I know Admweld likes the NR-212 flux-core wire. Closeups aren't close enough, and my eyes aren't good enough, to tell whether he used 7018 or 212 here. Either way, looks like a good job.

Comment

Looks like we were posting at the same time????

Comment

7018 h4r

I know Admweld likes the NR-212 flux-core wire. Closeups aren't close enough, and my eyes aren't good enough, to tell whether he used 7018 or 212 here. Either way, looks like a good job.
                              Well, my eyes must not be as bad as I thought.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.