No announcement yet.

Gantry Crane Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a photo of a neat unit I saw on a site. I can't remember where I found this one so I can't give any credits or details. It can be made to slide under the garage door and set between rafters for extra height. I like this one a lot.

Edit.... I located the source of the post for this unit. Post #2

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=33998
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 59halfstep; 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM.
    Charlie

Comment

Ohio IS the Home of Bumper Cranes !!!

Originally posted by J C View Post
      Those are nice. How much did you give for yours?
      Wapakoneta Ohio- Home of the original Bumper Crane!!! Ever Hear of THE IRON MULE??? that is what the westernmule is a cheap knock off of. I have followed all of the bumper folding cranes since I saw the first one in 1980.
      The buddy bumper, westcrane, transportcrane ,
      workhoist2000, stow-a-crane, Sto-Away. The only one that has lasted the test of time is Sto-away of Indiana
      www.stoaway.com. The chief designer of the Sto-away has custom built a crane for International Truck Military Division on the FTTS Project. In Fact I met him at Purdue where he was reviewing a new design in HSLA steel. You see I have done my homework too.

Go Boilermakers !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 59halfstep View Post
        I have a photo of a neat unit I saw on a site. I can't remember where I found this one so I can't give any credits or details. It can be made to slide under the garage door and set between rafters for extra height. I like this one a lot.

Edit.... I located the source of the post for this unit. Post #2

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=33998
        Now thats what I've been looking for!! Many thanks Charlie.
        Bob.

Comment

I am a NTEA Member for 30 yrs and know both

Western mule was just loaded tested side by side and the western mule broke! the boom failed the stowaway went to 1800lbs before it stop lifting Winch Stalled out but the stowaway out preformed the mule

Originally posted by weldforfood View Post
          I considered both (among others) and ended up purchasing a Western Mule because they were strait forward, easy to deal with, and in comparison their product seemed of higher quality than the competitor's.

Im very satisfied with my Western Mule purchase and if you are thinking about getting one... don't hesitate to compare Western Mule to the others and see for yourself.

I first saw Western Mule at last years NTEA Work Truck Show. The show is in St. Lewis, MO this year. If you are going, i'd recommend checking out their booth to see a demo of the unit.

Comment

my buddy made one years ago and he used regular old riding lawnmower tires with a 1"all thread rod to raise and lower the wheels.when he needs to move he just screws down the bolt and the tires lift it up and he rolls it where ever he needs it. I have seen him yank a engine with the tranny hookup to it and roll it around with no problems.he used lawnmower tires because they have a trashdump at the end of our street and wheels are easy to get .I have two a-frames next to each other that I use to raise and load my tool box and 250 bobcat no wheels on mine because it's right at the door of my shop and I made a cart to set the box and machine onto it and then I roll moth into the shop when not on jobs.

Comment

Wow, OLD thread back to life!
              @arcologist -- Source for this test data? Sounds like it might be Stoaway haha. Seriously though... my Western Mule bumper crane and its boom is rock solid after 4 years of regular abuse. Used daily and have lifted darn near the 2000 lb capacity with no flex in the boom or winch stalling. I trust it 100% and it hasn't given me any reason to think otherwise. Just makes me question the validity of your statement, thats all.

Originally posted by arcologist View Post
              Western mule was just loaded tested side by side and the western mule broke! the boom failed the stowaway went to 1800lbs before it stop lifting Winch Stalled out but the stowaway out preformed the mule
              Miller Diversion 165
              Miller-matic 212
              Hobart Handler 210

Comment

Working...
              X