Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gantry Crane Help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gantry Crane Help

I was originally going the build a jib crane in my back yard for loading and unloading my welder from my truck but now I am thinking gantry crane instead.

Here's my problem it has to be able to be moved on my lawn and in 2 directions if that makes sense. I don't know exactly how much weight it needs to carry. I was thinking 1 ton would be about right but that might be over kill for what i need. My welder weighs 595lb dry and I am going to be building a skid with tool boxes and the usual stuff so I'm not sure on what the final weight will be.

back to my problem. What to I use for casters that can hold the weight and be able to roll on lawn it doesn't have to roll loaded juts to move it out of the way when not in use and into position to use it.

Does anyone have any ideas or pictures od any gantry crane that aren't rolling on cement? All I have so far is a big S-beam that I picked up at auction years ago so I am open to any and all ideas.

If I didn't give enough info just tell me what you need to know and I am happy to post it.

Thank you.

Northern got alot of wheels,Also check out grainger or MSC.

Comment

Put 4 spindles on it and some small car or trailer tires. My dad had a few of them when i was a kid rolling around our place. Myself and my buddies used to roll them all over the yard. Think of an A frame swingset with wheels and a connecting bar between the legs at the bottom of the A...Bob

Comment

Hello Mega Arc 5040DD,

You have a neighbor (c wagner) right in your town who can probably give you lots of guidance.

I am a yankee from Philadelphia who spent a week up in your country about 25 years ago at Key Lake mines so I have fond memories of Saskatoon.

I worked with our sales rep for 3 weeks back then and visited Lloydminster, Moose Jaw, Kerrobert, Rosetown, Kindersley, Regina and PA among many other towns so I truly got the cook's tour.

I would look into small inflated tires like those on golf carts as a start.
        Maybe use several like the double axles on trucks for a bigger footprint.

good luck and be safe,

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          Put 4 spindles on it and some small car or trailer tires. My dad had a few of them when i was a kid rolling around our place. Myself and my buddies used to roll them all over the yard. Think of an A frame swingset with wheels and a connecting bar between the legs at the bottom of the A...Bob
          that's kinda what I was thinking and I have some spindles laying but I can't figure out how to make them so they can be turned. Would I still be able to maneuver it around the yard with the tire fixed in one direction?

Comment

Originally posted by Mega Arc 5040DD View Post
            that's kinda what I was thinking and I have some spindles laying but I can't figure out how to make them so they can be turned. Would I still be able to maneuver it around the yard with the tire fixed in one direction?
            yes
            to turn it, you just push one side
            but you will not be able to move from side to side

i didnt put wheels on mine. i made it like a sled from C-channel turning just the tip up on the ends.
            slides easy with two people (not so easy by my self tho)
            my dad had made a tripod from 3 15' 2x3x.125 that had a flat plate at the top and were pined to it and then about 3' down was chained together he had a chainfall hooked in the center and i have seen him pick up a lot more then your trying to pick up
            was hard to carry but didnt take up much room when not in need
            hope this helps
            gary...

Comment

My local "U Pull R Parts" junk yard has 2 gantries they made for people to use to pull engines. They each have 4 space saver spares as the wheels (they used car spindle bearing assemblies). I am not sure what they used for the bearing assembly for swiveling the wheels but all 4 wheels swivel just like swivel casters and are kicked back like they do for casters. These work great and roll over all kinds of crap.

-Dan

Comment

Car front spindles (strut type) with the top of the strut tipped to 10-15 degrees will give you lots of caster. You can eliminate the strut it just needs a bearing top and bottom to rotate on.

Comment

Crane

I built a small auto engine puller based on a Cavalier rear axle. My son rolled his car and we had to replace the axle. The axle is a fabrication and the spindles bolt onto an upright strut. The spindles have four bolt holes and could be used elsewhere. I sectioned the axle to narrow it then welded on a piece of three inch pipe about five feet high for the upright. The boom is made out of five and four inch sqauare tube with the smaller inside and a pin that runs through it with various holes to adjust the length. I used 2x4 tube for the legs and the local offshore tool store had a 36 inch long bottle jack for about $70. This has come in very handy for lifting and positioning heavy items. The boom, jack, and legs are removable so that it easy to transport. After a little scrounging the only parts I bought were the pins, jack and legs. I tried to use schedule 80, 1 1/4 pipe for the legs but it was not stiff enough. The 1/4 x 2 x 4 tube is the way to go.

Comment

Welder crane

I have a Western Mule Bumper Crane that i mounted in place of my trucks existing bumper. It works best for me because now I can take the welder in and out of the truck whenever/wherever I need to.

Mine has the optional vise mount, which is convienent.
                    AND it folds away into the bumper when i dont need it... couldn't ask for more.

I don't have any pics of my own truck, but heres one I pulled from their website... Western Mule truck cranes

Comment

Originally posted by weldforfood View Post
                      I have a Western Mule Bumper Crane that i mounted in place of my trucks existing bumper. It works best for me because now I can take the welder in and out of the truck whenever/wherever I need to.

Mine has the optional vise mount, which is convienent.
                      AND it folds away into the bumper when i dont need it... couldn't ask for more.

I don't have any pics of my own truck, but heres one I pulled from their website... Western Mule truck cranes

Those are nice. How much did you give for yours?

Comment

It's called an RTG or a Rubber tired gantry.
                        Picking castors is easy. Determine the load i.e. 1 ton and at least double it for safety. Then divide the load by the number of wheels you need. i.e. four so you would need a set of castors rated at 1000 lbs each and about eight to ten inches in diameter and pneumatic. the bigger the diameter the easier it is to push over uneven surfaces. These are available but are not cheep.

McMaster carr would be a place to start but not necessarily a place to buy them.

Comment

I don't know which is better but another outfit that makes bumper cranes is:

http://www.stoaway.com

Comment

Originally posted by AV8OR View Post
                            I don't know which is better but another outfit that makes bumper cranes is:

http://www.stoaway.com
                            Shouldn't he open the door on the van, before erecting the crane?

Comment

Western Mule vs Stoaway

I considered both (among others) and ended up purchasing a Western Mule because they were strait forward, easy to deal with, and in comparison their product seemed of higher quality than the competitor's.

Im very satisfied with my Western Mule purchase and if you are thinking about getting one... don't hesitate to compare Western Mule to the others and see for yourself.

I first saw Western Mule at last years NTEA Work Truck Show. The show is in St. Lewis, MO this year. If you are going, i'd recommend checking out their booth to see a demo of the unit.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.