Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

bear proof (?) garbage box

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bear proof (?) garbage box

I'm looking at building and bear proof ( resistant ) garbage box for the end of my driveway. The box isn't the issue, more the latch that a bear can't open. Any ideas that you have found that have worked would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance
    Steve

Sorry Steve, no bears here. Just juvenile problem children. So if i leave my stuff unlocked the kids stay out. Lock it and they will break in!! Go Figure.

I'm gona have to follow this thread to see whats all suggested.

Comment

How about a spring loaded lever that captures the top of another latch - so it takes two motions simultaniously to release the top. Would that work?

Comment

How about the same principal as an aspirin bottle?

Child proof cap my azz!

Comment

you can't put much garbage into an asprin bottle.

Comment

put a push latch underneath a 2inch blind strip seen it in parks in northern cali state parks cant really remember the name. raccoon proof too.

Comment

If you do that, be sure to put instructions for the "sanitation engineer" that will be opening it. It's my understanding that bears still can't read.

Comment

Originally posted by bustednuklz View Post
                I'm looking at building and bear proof ( resistant ) garbage box for the end of my driveway. The box isn't the issue, more the latch that a bear can't open. Any ideas that you have found that have worked would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance
                Steve
                try this link
                http://myfwc.com/docs/WildlifeHabita...iders_List.pdf

Comment

I built one a few years ago, the local F&G even used it in a slide presentation at my kids' school. I don't know if its ever been tested, but my wife saw some of the cubs playing on top of it one day. Didn't even know they had taken pictures of it! I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

Comment

this is on my project list as well. I cant leave anything outside overnight.

The **** bear even took my favorite coffee cup off the porch and off into the woods.

Comment

Here's My Pics

I left them large so you could pick up on any details you wanted to see. I made a handle out of 1/2" round bar with a washer welded on each side to secure it within the square tubing. On the outside I bent it 90 degrees for a handle. On the inside I attached a steel plate. When the handle rotates, so does the plate, which actuates an upper and lower steel rod which is fed through tubing at the upper and lower portions of the door, and then into a hole in the upper and lower frame. Works great and I haven't had any issues at all with it. We get bears from time to time as well as an assortment of other critters. I've had bears on top of this thing, but it's never been opened by them and the sanitation workers manage to get in it too! Just a note, if you use this method, make sure it's latched in the side or down position so if the bears push down on it it won't open up.

Door in closed position:

Latch in Closed Position:

Latch in Open Position:

And here's some Turkeys that have been visiting me for the past week!

And you thought Arizona was all desert!
                      Last edited by nocheepgas; 09-08-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Vert good work on the enclosure, nocheepgas. I like the way you set up the locking mechanism, simple and effective. Mind if I borrow the enclosure idea from you? I have several javalinas that sure enjoy knocking over garbage cans in my neighborhood ....

Where in Arizona? Am down in Tucson, dying from the humidity right now. Isn't Arizona supposed to be hot and DRY? ... (And I knew that parts of Arizona are green ...... so you're probably not in Phoenix )

Comment

Originally posted by bustednuklz View Post

Thanx in advance
                          Steve
                          I think your best bet will be a flush-mounted latch. Prior to backpacking in the Denali National Forest in Alaska, we were issued bear-proof, food containers. Each plastic drum had a flush mounted lid and a latch that was operated via the edge of a coin. No bashing or battering by a bear could open it. What you have currently could be batted by a bear if he decided to be persistent. I guess time will tell if you have any more problems with the critters.
                          --dseman

Comment

Originally posted by SpyGuy View Post
                            Vert good work on the enclosure, nocheepgas. I like the way you set up the locking mechanism, simple and effective. Mind if I borrow the enclosure idea from you? I have several javalinas that sure enjoy knocking over garbage cans in my neighborhood ....

Where in Arizona? Am down in Tucson, dying from the humidity right now. Isn't Arizona supposed to be hot and DRY? ... (And I knew that parts of Arizona are green ...... so you're probably not in Phoenix )
                            Hey SpyGuy,
                            Feel free to use any parts you wish Those Javelina can be viscious! My daughters go to the UofA (Go Cats!) We live 70 miles S/E of you in Hereford in the foothills of the Huachuca's. It's about 8-10 degrees cooler here. Temps similar to Bisbee. Elevation 5000'

Comment

Very cool, thanks. Been a long time since I've been out that way to Ft. Huachuca ... had to go there on several office furniture / cubicle installs.

(That's pronounced "wah-chew-kah" to y'all not from our area ....)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.