No announcement yet.

Clamps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not in line with Bessey's Heavy Duty models, at least not for the clamp you linked to. That Gross-Stabil clamp has a nominal clamping pressure of 2800 while an 18"...sorry, no 20"...Bessey Heavy Duty model is rated at 4880 lbs. Gross-Stabil may indeed have a heavier duty model available that would go head to head with Bessey, but I would imagine they would also be priced similarly.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

I've got a couple sets of these in various lengths

http://www.amazon.com/Vise-Grip-VIS1...342298&sr=8-13

keep in mind its overall length and not throat depth

works good for setting stuff up on my table

i have the ones with little pivoting feet, not the rounded points like the picture above
      Justin Starkey
      Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
      Miller 210 MIG
      Spectrum 375 Plasma
      Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
      VMP Tuning.com

Comment

Gross-Stabil is now 100% Bessey, same product, same label. When you go to http://www.gross-stabil-tool.de, a Bessey website opens. They do no longer make any clamps with the Gross-Stabil logo.
        Bessey has a very large range of clamps, which makes comparing them to other makes a little bit difficult, because there is no "the Bessey clamp".
        Their catalog has about 95 pages of clamps.

The biggest advantage of the carver clamps (in my opinion) is the fact that it takes almost no effort to tighten them down. You can reach their clamping force with one hand, no need for additional wrenches or extensions to turn the spindle.
        The spindle is covered, well protected against weld spatter. And, just in case, you can get spare parts for them...
        Steffen
        Krefeld, Germany

Comment

The Bessey and Wilton type clamps are great for what they do. But they don’t have the umf that these do.
          When splicing beams and the flanges don’t match you’ll destroy a Bessey trying to force the flanges together. We have gang boxes full of these!
          Attached Files
          Caution!
          These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

CevyMan, I have one of those clamps which which is a strong clamp but clumsey to use. I saw the price of my 24"er and about fell over.

I have found Bessy clamps to be the most versitil

Sanora showed us what are called beam clamps which are slow to use but by far the strongest.

The clamps I use the most are the bessy and 11R by vise grip.

I currently do not have any beam clamps.

Comment

I buy the 6CR Visegrip, the 11sp, and the really big mama jama, 24sp. Expensive but worth it for the throat depth. I usually use the swivel pad version because the other style tends to crush square tube (just a bit) when you have it set hard enough to hold everything in place. Takes more time to metal finish stuff out and get it ready for powdercoating/painting.

Ive used their sheet metal pliers...and the welding pliers...but they arent worth the extra cost. I can buy 2 or 3 more 6R's or 8R's, and weld some steel plate to them for the same job. They dont look as pretty, but its a bunch cheaper.

I dont clamp really heavy duty stuff though...usually the most I work with is .120 wall.
              Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Comment

Bessey WSM welder's 90 degree clamps

Comment

Working...
                X