Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIG or stick on this one?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HawkerMetalworks View Post
    8 anchor points.
    8 is better than the 4 or 5 that I thought it would be.

Still, if it was my @ss on the line with this project, seriously, I would definately go back in there and fill those suckers up, both the t-joint and the plate to tank seam, and crank it up too!

Please, don't think I'm trying to ridicule you. Only trying to help.

On your shop work, your Millermatic 251 is capable of spray transfer with .035 wire. Pick up a bottle of 98/2 argon/oxygen so you can play with spray. If you have future heavy plate jobs and want to use solid wire and gas, spray it. The welds will go in alot hotter, wetter, deeper penetrating and better fusing, cleaner too. Must be used flat/horizontal only, no out of position. Anything over 1/4" should be sprayed rather than short circuited, with mig solid wire. Play around with it, you'll love it!

Comment

from what i can decipher from the scribbled notes and diagrams on the crane cut sheets that came along with the cut sheets on shackle size, they're using cable lanyards from the shackle to the crane hook.

if this makes any sense.

Comment

Actual rigging is not on the lift plane.

Rough drawing of a flying W, you can use shackles in the bite of the 2-chokers, but I would not lay an object down like this, the shackles will destroy the chokers. This type of rigging is great for some lifts. I would use only two chokers to four padeyes, and use snatch blocks in the bite of the two chokers, that way you can lay it down no problem.
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry guys I drew that first drawing wrong. It will be clearer just showing one side.
          Attached Files

Comment

fillet size

Hey, while we are on the subject, kinda. I thought fillet welds were supose to be 1.25 times the material thickness so two peices of 1/4'' plate would require a 5/16'' fillet. Or is it 1-1/2 times the thickness.

Just curious. I can't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Rig Hand View Post
              Hey, while we are on the subject, kinda. I thought fillet welds were supose to be 1.25 times the material thickness so two peices of 1/4'' plate would require a 5/16'' fillet. Or is it 1-1/2 times the thickness.

Just curious. I can't remember.
              I was taught the true and technical way to measure the fillet size is by the throat depth (root to face distance @ an angle that bisects the joint angle), which should be equal to the thickness of the smaller of the 2 plates in the joint.

If the face of the fillet is flat or concave, then the legs would have to be a bit longer than plate thickness to reach minimum throat depth. If the face is convex, the legs would have to be at minimum equal to plate thickness. So yes, depending on face shape, the legs could need to be longer than plate thickness to reach mininum throat depth.

Since most don't have an accurate way to measure throat depth without a fillet gauge, and most put in their fillets with convex face shape, it's simpler to say make the minimum leg length at least equal to or more than plate thickness, even though that isn't absolutely technically correct. Maybe I should stop saying that! The problem there though is then I would have to explain throat depth and face shape each time. My replies on here are usually half of a novel as it is!

Comment

well, they moved it today (i couldn't get there) and i haven't gotten any phone calls, so i'm assuming it went well.

unless the guy who would have had to call me when it fell was under it if it DID fall...

Comment

Im glad it worked out ok, assuming it did.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkerMetalworks View Post
                    unless the guy who would have had to call me when it fell was under it if it DID fall...
                    You know what they say?

If nobody died, it was a good pick!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.