Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lesson learned; Still Peeling! You'll laugh.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety first

I don't know about the rest of you - I can't find or create enough welding projects! There is one thing I always keep in mind - I was born with a certain numbr of extermities - ears, eyes, fingers, toes, etc and they don't grow back.

I never fried my skin doing my mig projects. I had some very crusty peelings after my first TIG welding poject...

I'm covered from head to toe now before I fire up the machines...

Steve

Comment

Safety , Number One Job.

All of the Mechanical Contractors I have worked for have a safety meeting after lunch on Thursday or Friday , most of them use a Commerical program covering a certian aspect of safety , like proper tool maintence , electrical cord safety and inspection , etc. It can be a pain in the butt to stand there and listen to the foreman read the weekly message but it does remind you to work in a safe manner , and if you see something that is not safe to notify him about it and he can get it taken care of . At home in your own shop , you are the worker the foreman and the owner of the company , so you are the only one you can blame for allowing an unsafe condition to exist . In another post I asked CamaroZach if he had welding stands , and if he didn't if he would like some plans . He got back to me and I emailed him the plans , simple to build , not cheap and flimsy , and very adjustable . I was concerned in what he was using to support his project , I have seen and read in the newspaper about people using cement blocks and other jury rigged stands who sadly are no longer with us . I admit the are times when proper blocking and cribbing are the only way . But you use wood not cement blocks . So be careful out there and remember the goal for the day is to leave work with all your fingers , toes , and your most important thing your eyesight , at work or at home Be Safe . Dan . P.S. If you want a set of plans PM me with your email address .
      Last edited by Lu47Dan; 03-16-2006, 07:15 PM.
      Tools to Men are like Shoes to Women you can never have too many .
      Miller XMT-304
      Miller Spectrum 2050
      Miller 10-E Feeder
      Hobart 175 Handler
      Lincoln AC225
      And assorted others

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. You guys are right, all of the TV shows show welding being done with little thought about the example they are setting for people who are unexperienced. I would have never thought of buying some of the PPE that is out there were it not for hearing these stories. I've delayed my purchase of a new welder, in favor of some better safety equipment, and some books to educate me about the risks associated with welding. I am still looking for a new machine, but only when I know a little more.
        Thx guys
        Time to learn & Time to burn...

Comment

Just my 2 cents. The UV coming off a stick welder is 20X the sun! The UV coming off a Mig/Tig is 40-50X the sun!!! To put this in perspective, say you spent 8 hours in your shop one day building a project with your mig welder. It would be safe to say that you had you welder running for 4 hours of that day. Any exposed skin has just absorbed the equivalent UV as being outside in the sun for 160 hours!!!!! I won't weld without my jean jacket as a minimum, and that's only if I forgot my leathers at home! 98% of the time I have my leather welding jacket and my Carhart overalls. Just remember that denim does catch fire easily when it's frayed (been there, done that).
          Maybe someone here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember my Instructor in college (too many years ago) saying that Borox (Borex?) laundry detergent mixed with something else (or maybe it was just straight Borox) will make your cloths fire resistant (resistant, not proof!!).
          Let's remember to be safe. To many smart people die each year from doing something dumb, because they were in too much of a hurry to do it right.
          And remember UV=cancer (proven or unproven, is your life and the people you leave behind worth the chance).
          I'll get off my soapbox now, and no, I don't give change from a nickel for my 2 cents-LOL.
          The difference between No One. and No. One is where you put the period. John Force

Comment

Come on guys you are way over kill on this...he is from Florida. The unofficial welding uniform of Florida is shorts, flip flop sandals, a tee shirt and 2 pair of sunglasses

OK on the serious side. If it can burn it will while welding. You only have 2 eyes and they haven't come up with an aftermarket replacement for them, buy a good shield. Leather lacket with a bib front works great, good gloves, leather boots and heavy cotton trousers or canvas trousers. So with all that protection you are going to sweat buckets, drink lots of water and often. Being in Jacksonville I have experienced the summers and welding...lots of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by sjmiller
              I'm teaching myself how to weld by mostly reading - and classes I can attend. Mig welding doesn't appear to create as much UV radiation as TIG does. Helment, gloves, and a Tee shirt worked fine with MIG. The first time I did so with TIG - my forearms were "sun burnt" - they crusted over and pealed.

Safety is head to foot 100%, body parts do not regenerate..
              the MIG will fry you up just nice with heaps of amps
              wish I had a dollar for every time I've had rayburn and spatter burns over the last 27 yrs I wouldn't have to weld any more

nothing worse than being up under the axles of a semi trailer doing a weld and getting burned no were to go in a hurry just have grit your teeth and bear it .

Comment

Flip-Flops

I guess I shouldn,t wear flip flops anymore?!??!! jk. I was fortunate that I had shoes on that time. After all it was cold here. Something like 60 degrees. Typical N. FL winter/ spring weather.
                Time to learn & Time to burn...

Comment

You really should work as safe as you can. The green sleeves work good in the summer with a tee shirt. Can't wear the carharts when its 100 degrees outside or when your working in the sun. Winter is great welding weather. Had a piece of molting metal fell down the back of my boot. [wearing shorts] That hurt. If I'm going to be completely under something I'll put on coveralls but for bench top projects, I try keep my legs out of the way. Usually wear gloves, especially for a lengthy projects. I do alot of equipment repair so sometimes the welds are short then something has to be taken apart or put back together. Always wear glasses, or face shield. A hand can be sewed up but the eyes can't take much.

work safe
                  Scott
                  HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

Working...
                  X