Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shop Organizing

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Organizing

A While back there was a thread on this site about using a hitch receiver to organize shop space.
    I had a couple hours yesterday afternoon & a couple more this afternoon, so I thought I'd get organized for the upcoming "Z" firewall build. I've got some sheet metal tools that have been under the bench for a good long while now. So, I chopped up an old attachment I had for my first track loader that was just collecting dust in the corner. It had some slip tubes on it (like a receiver for the hitch). I used some angle iron I had in the shed and made this deal up. I put it on an outside corner of the shop so I'd have plenty of workin' room.

I bought a stretcher/shrinker at a car show a couple years ago. No mount so it hasn't been used yet.

Harbor Freight Planishing hammer. Might call it new old stock. I've had it for a long time too, but never used it.

I've used the bead roller a couple times. Clamped it in the band saw when I DID use it.

I'm wondering about a wing (table top) on each side of the bead roller to help feed the stock through? or maybe it would just get in the way? Any thoughts?

I still plan to make an attachment to hold the bench vise, and one for a small welding table. I'm gettin' tired of saw horses

that's what I've been up to this weekend. And, thanks for the hitch receiver idea. This is going to make life in the shop much better.

Nice work. Looks like it should work out well for you. I had to snicker when you said you may make one for a little weld table and a vise. Sorry but I had a vision, if you do like myself and get a little rough with the table or vise you could have problems. I'm not knocking your design at all, just stating that Murphy's Law chases me around all the time.

I wouldn't think you would need a extra table so long as you had a helper for the really large pieces. Saw horses arnt all bad, I picked up a set at HD a couple years ago that set tall enough for someone 6 foot tall. The down fall is there plastic.

I hope to see pics of your firewall project.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom.
      I don't do much heavy work, but the stuff I do I end up having to set up right beside the camaro. I've had some close calls with things slipping off the saw horses, clamp coming loose, etc., coming close to a ding in the quarter panel a time or 2. I don't have much free space in the 1 stall shop. Some day the camaro will have paint on it. Then the saw horse set up won't be an option. Table would be something like an 18''x24'' top which is more table top space than I usually work on. If it seems to be too much I could always put posts under the outside corners to help support the weight.

Comment

Oh I understand man, I can defiantly see where a table even if it was a small one would be an asset. One day I want to have a real shop, well at least bigger then the 15 by 30 that I have now. It has to fit all my mechanic/wood/metal and all the misc junk. That does not leave much room left over. I know I shouldn't complain since there is guys that only have a metal shed to work in. I guess maybe its more wishfully thinking then complaining.

Tom

Comment

I welded up the welding table tonight. I cut the supplies kinda' close. I have 1/2 pc. of filler rod left, 20 PSI of argon in the second tank & the 20''x20'' table top was the biggest pc. I could get out of what's left of a 4'x4'x3/16'' sheet of steel. Not very big but it's bigger than the scrap pc. of plate I use to clamp to the saw horse. I had to see how sturdy it was so I got on it and jumped up & down. It's good to go.

Bracing under the table. Gettin' low on that stuff too, but I got er' done.

Comment

Your table

Might be small, but it looks plenty stout! Nice job.

Comment

That looks good pro70z28.

In reality I bet you will have just as much room as alot of us have when you figure the extra stuff we have sitting on our bench's. Yours will never be cluttered, and I am thinking thats a good deal. Mounted on the corner like it is, could be very nice as well.

Nice work

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. I need to make a rack (or racks) on the wall to store these things. I think I'm going to clean out that corner in the background and store them there. I'm not gettin' any younger, so close and convenient is a good thing.

Comment

Now THAT is a really nice setup for your metalworking stuff. I like the idea of having it on the trailer-hitch system, so you can quickly swap one tool out for another. Only thing I would do slightly different is to add a slide-in leg on the front of the table with an adjuster, just to help take some of the weight off the wallmount - other than that, GREAT job!

Comment

Thanks Spy Guy. I'm looking forward to using this stuff and having it not be scattered all over the shop.
                    I thought the same thing about a support, but I got up on it and jumped up and down on it with my 200 lb. carcass and it didn't even flex. I still plan to build a mount for the bench vise. That one I do plan to put a "Support to the floor" leg under. Just because there are times I might be beating on it with a hammer from time to time. As solid as the mount is, the shock of a hammer over time might not be good. Being on the outside corner & tied into the adjacent studs on each side make it pretty solid. I have some threaded re-bar that I plan to make an adjustable leg with. Maybe I'll make it interchangeable with the table just in case the need arises.

Comment

Worked on the bead roller today. I got rid of the hand crank and put a bicycle wheel in its place. Local bike shop gave it to me, it's a little bent, but it works for this deal. I figured the bigger the wheel the better control. I had to try it out, works a whole lot better now. . I made an aluminum table for the exit side. Loosen 1 thumb screw at the bottom and it lifts off a couple pins on the top. I scribed some lines every 2" as guides. no fence yet. I think I'll use it this way first and add a fence later.

Got the Vice mount done. I made a knee brace for those times when I feel the need to beat on the vise. Same brace will work on all the attachments.

....and I got the rack finished up tonight. Everything in easy reach, tucked away behind the door. Oh, I bent up some scrap sign aluminum also, to protect the wall.

I think I'm ready to start on the "Z" firewall now. I have to put a quick disconnect in the planishing hammer air line so I don't have to drag the foot pedal around. It's a pain in the hose this way.

Comment

That looks great man!!!!

Any chance you would like to take a vacation to Missouri? I could sure use some help cleaning up the garage.

Now you will have to plumb the shop for air so that you can make a nice shelf below what you have now for the hammer pedal. Then you can have a quick connect from the pedal hose to the hammer itself. That way there is no hose to step in or move when you change to a different accessory.

The aluminum looks nice on the wall, and should work well.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tom37 View Post
                          That looks great man!!!!

Any chance you would like to take a vacation to Missouri? I could sure use some help cleaning up the garage.

Now you will have to plumb the shop for air so that you can make a nice shelf below what you have now for the hammer pedal. Then you can have a quick connect from the pedal hose to the hammer itself. That way there is no hose to step in or move when you change to a different accessory.

The aluminum looks nice on the wall, and should work well.

Tom
                          Thanks Tom. I'd like to take a vacation, but I have to clean up the shop. The only clean spot is what you see within the frame of the pic.

I cut the hammer pedal hose at the planisher to install a disconnect, only to find I grabbed the wrong size barb for the hose. DUH. I'll take care of that tomorrow after Labor Day.
                          I plan to make a shelf to hold the pedal, and something to hold the dies for the stestcher/shrinker, & other mics. items.

Comment

Nifty Idea !!

That is one great project, everything is so neat & tidy !!

Now you got me thinking of one for myself !!

Great Job !!!

.............. Norm

Comment

Thanks Norm. I've been looking at English wheels. Harbor freight makes one that's almost in my price range, but the frame looks light. Eastwood makes one, but it's more than I want to spend on a hobby tool. I'm thinking of buying just the wheels from harbor freight They have a set of 6 lower wheels for $89.99 & a top wheel for $39.99. A trip to the local steel supply & I think I'll have another project for the wall mount.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.