Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Tow Dolly Hubs

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Tow Dolly Hubs

Hi there I'm trying to build a tow dolly for my car which seems fairly straight forward except I 'm not too familair with hub/spindles for trailers.

Seeing how I'm not using an axle I found this assembley
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Product%20Page

Can I just bolt these too the uprights of the dolly assembly? Or is there another type of hub/spindle I should be looking at?
    Thanks

Looks like these are designed to be used with a 2 x 2 in. square tubing as an axle, The flange with the holes is for a brake assy.

Comment

What would you use for a trailer with no suspension? Like a Dolly? Where I want to drop the frame down low

Here is a pic off a Uhaul dolly it looks like the spindle just bolts up to the tubing?
      Attached Files

Comment

So if you aren't using an axle, what's keeping the spindles from cambering out when a load is applied?

If you just put these things on the frame, the offset load it creates will cause the frame to twist allowing the wheels to camber severely. The end result is the tops of the wheels run into some part of the trailer and cut the tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
          So if you aren't using an axle, what's keeping the spindles from cambering out when a load is applied?

If you just put these things on the frame, the offset load it creates will cause the frame to twist allowing the wheels to camber severely. The end result is the tops of the wheels run into some part of the trailer and cut the tires.
          Doesn't the majority of these things go without an axle?? I see them around all the time but truthfully am not very drawn to them.
          I had one given to me a few weeks back and it was solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post

Man I'm lost with your post, I'm sure I posted a pic with my post and am I missing something because I sure don't see an axle in the pic of the Uhaul dolly set up. But maybe you're seeing something I'm not ? All I see is the spindle bolted to the upright? Is that what I'm seeing?

Or is that a drop axle?
            Last edited by MrBurns; 08-30-2009, 07:39 PM.

Comment

The picture submitted by Mr Burns is a good example. The axle is offset several inches below the axis of the spindles, and it is welded directly to the frame. This is the member that maintains alignment of the spindles. Thus, it is the axle.

Attached Files

Comment

Why not just bolt it straight to a 2x4 upright?

Comment

Actually I see now why they can't bolt it straight to the upright , because the main tube is dropped so it would interfere with the tire so they made that offset mount to extend out and the bolt the spindle to that. So its not really an axle yes? Its just an offset mount?
                  Last edited by MrBurns; 08-30-2009, 07:45 PM.

Comment

An axle is a structural member with spindles on each end. Bends, dips, turns offsets, springs, can make it difficult to see the forest for the trees so to speak. But in that photo, the 2x2 square tubing is in fact an axle.

Comment

Hi yes but the question is.....where do you buy those bolt on spindles because they are not welded on are they?

Comment

I can see how it would be a little confusing. We get into this mindset that every axle is a tube with spindles mounted concentrically because we see so many like that.

Weld spindles onto a square trailer frame and the frame is now, by definition, an axle. Albeit probably not a very stiff one.

But to answer your question, yeah, northern tool, and several internet trailer parts suppliers. Pretty common.

Comment

Can you post a link because my link was wrong as nocheapgas pointed out the flange on that is for the brakes not a mount.

Comment

I wonder how well a Torflex style could be adapted to this application?

You can get them in various configurations. It would need to be stiff enuff to not bottom out.
                            Unless it would be better if it was to steer...then never mind.

Comment

This gives me a great idea for hubs for a motorcycle powered kart project.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.