Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scrap bin Picket Twister

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap bin Picket Twister

I wanted to twist some half inch square stuff so I made this twister from stuff in the scrap bin and two half inch drive sockets.

Things that I learned from building this are:

- Twisting Half inch square stuff much more than .25 of a turn per inch will break the bar I am twisting
    - The bottom bracket must be secured/clamped to the back bar
    - If I cut the bottom socket and leave it open it will just spread the socket open, but some flat bar welded on will prevent that.
    -Once I cut and then welded closed the bottom socket I saw that there is more room for the metal so the bottom and top socket didn't have to line up perfectly.
    - Weld a large washer to the top socket will give you enough surface to weld a handle to it
    - Clean the area's to be welded, it takes a lot more force than I though to twist half inch square steel.

Next I will try to make baskets with it. Also I will make another handle and clamp for 3/8 square. I want to see how well four .25 inch round rods will twist together as well. Success or failure will be posted.

Any comments or improvements are welcome.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cargoon; 08-18-2009, 01:02 AM.

Perfect...Bob

Comment

Thats about right all you have to do now is paint it.

Comment

looks good
        i think i'm going to make one like that now thanks for the idea...

Comment

Bob

any fixture idea's for making large letters? Say 4" tall?

jim

Comment

Jim there was a flyer that came with my bender for making letters from 1/8"x2" but the edge isn't thick enough to suit me so i just bend mine from 1/2" sq then cut and weld each letter. I think they look better...Bob
            Attached Files

Comment

Failed basket

Basket Failure
              Thought I would try to make a basket with .25 round rod.
              The bottom socket was to big and the stock just spun in it.
              I'll figure it out.

Supposed to look like Pic one but ended looking like pic 2

Thanks for the goods words.
              Attached Files

Comment

Tack your round bar together on both ends and try it...Bob

Comment

Great job! I always enjoy seeing these type projects as it looks like that I could possibly make one too.

I have one question if you don't mind. You said something about welding a piece of bar back on the socket. I may have missed something, but why did you have to cut the socket to begin with?

Wayne

Comment

hey,

i think to get that done, you may have to have the bottom portion mobile. so when you twist it the lock can slide up a little because when the metal will spread wider it will make the hight shorter....... and you would have to lock the bottom portion in some how, so it does not pop out. .. just an idea
                    Last edited by Nitto9; 08-19-2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Wayne

I cut the socket because when I welded it to the rig I didn't put too much effort into lining it up with the top one. It would have been fine out of line like that if I was doing long pickets but when I was doing short ones I couldn't get the stock through both sockets(because they weren't lined up) so I cut it. After cutting I tried it and it just spread the socket open. I hammered it closed and welded on some .75 flat bar and that held it fine.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I built a twister similar to that a few years ago. I used 1" square tubing for the main frame. On the "top" end I welded a piece of pipe then proceeded to find a 1/2" drive socket and a 3/8" drive socket that were the same outside diameter and would fit inside the pipe and put handles on each. BTW, I had to extend the handles on the 1/2" one. It DOES take some torque to twist 1/2" bar. On the lower end I made a holder that will slide up and down the 1" tubing for the desired twist length. I made it 2 sided where the 1/2" or 3/8" bar would lay in it rather than have to pass through a square hole. I just slip it off the end, flip it over, then slip it back on. The advantage is that you can do multiple twists on the same piece by just reversing the ends and dropping it in the lower holder. I can take pics if anyone is interested. It's not fancy but it was cheap and it has worked for me for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-TX View Post
                          I built a twister similar to that a few years ago. I used 1" square tubing for the main frame. On the "top" end I welded a piece of pipe then proceeded to find a 1/2" drive socket and a 3/8" drive socket that were the same outside diameter and would fit inside the pipe and put handles on each. BTW, I had to extend the handles on the 1/2" one. It DOES take some torque to twist 1/2" bar. On the lower end I made a holder that will slide up and down the 1" tubing for the desired twist length. I made it 2 sided where the 1/2" or 3/8" bar would lay in it rather than have to pass through a square hole. I just slip it off the end, flip it over, then slip it back on. The advantage is that you can do multiple twists on the same piece by just reversing the ends and dropping it in the lower holder. I can take pics if anyone is interested. It's not fancy but it was cheap and it has worked for me for years.
                          YEA.... upload the pics any project is always nice to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-TX View Post
                            I'm thinking about building something like this myself so I'd be really interested in the pictures as well.

Comment

I'll try to get pics today. Probably be Fri before I can get them posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.