Aluminum--what kind

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum--what kind

This guy I know goes to sales, auctions etc and find some really good stuff.
    He wants me to do a welding job on the back of a garden tractor. He gave me 18 sheets of 13" x 17" .090 aluminum. There is a sticker on the peel off plastic side that states...Stamlin enclosures.....BP2016AL. Does the number mean
    anything to anyone? This is the same guy that gave me an 8.5 lb block of aluminum last week. I love aluminum
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Nick,

I think that is a part number for an aluminum back panel on an electrical enclosure, not an indicator of alloy type.
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Comment

I'm sure you're correct as far as a part number. The side with the lable is plastic coated that can be peeled off. Nice looking sheets.
      I'm sure I'll find a use.
      Nick
      Nick
      Miller 252 Mig
      Miller Cricket XL
      Millermatic 150 Mig
      2-O/A outfits
      Jet Lathe and Mill
      Propane Forge

Comment

2016 Aluminum

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
        He wants me to do a welding job on the back of a garden tractor. He gave me 18 sheets of 13" x 17" .090 aluminum. There is a sticker on the peel off plastic side that states...Stamlin enclosures.....BP2016AL. Does the number mean
        anything to anyone? This is the same guy that gave me an 8.5 lb block of aluminum last week. I love aluminum
        Nick: It's a 2XXX wrought aluminum-copper alloy. Werner Ladder Company uses it in their "Bird Ladders." Also used for coat racks, etc.

It's heat treatable, and may contain magnesium-maganese as well. I'll have to do a little more research, specifically, for 2016 to find it's ease of weldability. Most 2XXX aluminum is spot or reistance welded, as higher welding temperatures are required to penetrate these alloys.

Nick, "Stahlin Enclosures" is a company that specializes in non-metalic "boxes" for phones, disconnects, etc. Double check the spelling on the label.

Hope this helps.

Dave
        Last edited by davedarragh; 08-17-2009, 12:51 PM.
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Dave,the name is Stamlin. The pieces feel to be fairly rigid. Does that help any?
          Nick........
          Nick
          Miller 252 Mig
          Miller Cricket XL
          Millermatic 150 Mig
          2-O/A outfits
          Jet Lathe and Mill
          Propane Forge

Comment

Monte,
            is it bare or alclad?
            "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
            Miller Dynasty 200DX
            Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
            Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
            Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

I'm not sure I know how to tell. One side has a peel off protective layer and the aluminum under it is shiny like it has a clear coat. I haven't tried to see if acetone would effect the finish. I havent tried to tig it yet either.
              Nick
              Miller 252 Mig
              Miller Cricket XL
              Millermatic 150 Mig
              2-O/A outfits
              Jet Lathe and Mill
              Propane Forge

Comment

2XXX Alloy

Nick: I know there's 2014, 2017 alloys listed in my books, but I can't really zero in on 2016, unless it's new. If it is a 2XXX alloy, it will have copper as a major alloying element.

I'll try and keep "digging."

Dave
                "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                  Well Nick this must be good stuff as i see your post has been stolen at least twice this week with another members name on it...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I started reading that post a day or so ago and thought that it really sounded familiar. Then I realized it was my post with someones name on it other than mine. Thanks for staying on top of things Bob.
                    Nick
                    Miller 252 Mig
                    Miller Cricket XL
                    Millermatic 150 Mig
                    2-O/A outfits
                    Jet Lathe and Mill
                    Propane Forge

Comment

Monte,

I tried to send you a PM, but was told your message board space is plumb full. So, I'm forced to ask it, here... Is this the year you get airborne on your home brewed copter?

Comment

Im hoping so.
                        Nick
                        Miller 252 Mig
                        Miller Cricket XL
                        Millermatic 150 Mig
                        2-O/A outfits
                        Jet Lathe and Mill
                        Propane Forge

Comment

BP presumably stands for back panel, 2016 is part number, AL means it's an aluminum back panel. The aluminum back panels are made from 3003 H14 according to the company that makes them (Stahlin, not Stamlin). Link to specs below.
                          http://www.stahlin.com/web_size_img/PDF/BackPanels.pdf

I doubt that's helpful on a 2 year old post, but it took me about 4 minutes to figure out by typing the P/N into Google.
                          Last edited by MR.57; 04-09-2011, 05:09 PM.
                          2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                          2005 Miller Passport 180

Comment

identifying metal samples

Hi Nick,

I have had the same problem trying to identify "mystery" metal samples.

For the past 2 years, I waited until I could go to Eastec in Springfield, MA.
                            This year it is May 17 to 19. (www. easteconline.com)

For me it is a 6 hour drive each way so I saved my metal samples I needed to be tested and brought them up with me.

Last year, there was one exhibitor with a Niton X ray analyzer.
                            Forgot their name but they most likely will be there in 2011.

Showed them my 3 samples and asked if I could pay them to have them tested.
                            Told them I am a bozo tig welder and wanted to know the alloy of these stainless pieces as I had an upcoming job.

They were most gracious and tested my samples for free.

The test took all of 1o to 15 seconds if that long. The analyzer looks like a portable bar code reader but is much more sophisticated and costs $20,000 and up.

It read out that my samples were 15-5 PH stainless and 416 stainless.

For me it was worth the drive but there may be a less costly answer for you.

This gentleman on ebay has a much more sophisticated machine which will give you the elemental analysis of your sample.

I emailed Gary and he was extremely helpful. He will give you the detailed elemental analysis of your sample. However, unlike the Niton gun, he may not be able to match your sample to an exact alloy. But it is easy to look up the composition of almost any alum alloy and probably match it to your sample.

I plan to send him some samples in the near future as it is a lot easier than driving 12 hours round trip.

Gary's analysis start at $15, less than 4 gallons of gas (at the moment) or 3 gallons of diesel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hope it helps,
                            Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

I called the company that makes that part. (Stahlin)
                              Good company and good response.

The engineer looked at the drawing of the part and said it was 3003 H14 aluminum.
                              3003-H14 (QQ-A-250/2c)
                              General purpose manganese alloy. Stronger than 1100 with same good formability and low cost. Fine corrosion resistance and weldability. Used in stampings, spun and drawn parts, mail boxes, cabinets, tanks, fan blades. For higher strength, consider 5052-H32.

Answer....You can weld it.

Comment

Working...
                              X