Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aluminum--what kind

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum--what kind

This guy I know goes to sales, auctions etc and find some really good stuff.
    He wants me to do a welding job on the back of a garden tractor. He gave me 18 sheets of 13" x 17" .090 aluminum. There is a sticker on the peel off plastic side that states...Stamlin enclosures.....BP2016AL. Does the number mean
    anything to anyone? This is the same guy that gave me an 8.5 lb block of aluminum last week. I love aluminum

Nick,

I think that is a part number for an aluminum back panel on an electrical enclosure, not an indicator of alloy type.

Comment

I'm sure you're correct as far as a part number. The side with the lable is plastic coated that can be peeled off. Nice looking sheets.
      I'm sure I'll find a use.
      Nick

Comment

2016 Aluminum

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
        He wants me to do a welding job on the back of a garden tractor. He gave me 18 sheets of 13" x 17" .090 aluminum. There is a sticker on the peel off plastic side that states...Stamlin enclosures.....BP2016AL. Does the number mean
        anything to anyone? This is the same guy that gave me an 8.5 lb block of aluminum last week. I love aluminum
        Nick: It's a 2XXX wrought aluminum-copper alloy. Werner Ladder Company uses it in their "Bird Ladders." Also used for coat racks, etc.

It's heat treatable, and may contain magnesium-maganese as well. I'll have to do a little more research, specifically, for 2016 to find it's ease of weldability. Most 2XXX aluminum is spot or reistance welded, as higher welding temperatures are required to penetrate these alloys.

Nick, "Stahlin Enclosures" is a company that specializes in non-metalic "boxes" for phones, disconnects, etc. Double check the spelling on the label.

Hope this helps.

Dave
        Last edited by davedarragh; 08-17-2009, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Dave,the name is Stamlin. The pieces feel to be fairly rigid. Does that help any?
          Nick........

Comment

Monte,
            is it bare or alclad?

Comment

I'm not sure I know how to tell. One side has a peel off protective layer and the aluminum under it is shiny like it has a clear coat. I haven't tried to see if acetone would effect the finish. I havent tried to tig it yet either.

Comment

2XXX Alloy

Nick: I know there's 2014, 2017 alloys listed in my books, but I can't really zero in on 2016, unless it's new. If it is a 2XXX alloy, it will have copper as a major alloying element.

I'll try and keep "digging."

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                  Well Nick this must be good stuff as i see your post has been stolen at least twice this week with another members name on it...Bob

Comment

I started reading that post a day or so ago and thought that it really sounded familiar. Then I realized it was my post with someones name on it other than mine. Thanks for staying on top of things Bob.

Comment

Monte,

I tried to send you a PM, but was told your message board space is plumb full. So, I'm forced to ask it, here... Is this the year you get airborne on your home brewed copter?

Comment

Im hoping so.

Comment

BP presumably stands for back panel, 2016 is part number, AL means it's an aluminum back panel. The aluminum back panels are made from 3003 H14 according to the company that makes them (Stahlin, not Stamlin). Link to specs below.
                          http://www.stahlin.com/web_size_img/PDF/BackPanels.pdf

I doubt that's helpful on a 2 year old post, but it took me about 4 minutes to figure out by typing the P/N into Google.
                          Last edited by MR.57; 04-09-2011, 05:09 PM.

Comment

identifying metal samples

Hi Nick,

I have had the same problem trying to identify "mystery" metal samples.

For the past 2 years, I waited until I could go to Eastec in Springfield, MA.
                            This year it is May 17 to 19. (www. easteconline.com)

For me it is a 6 hour drive each way so I saved my metal samples I needed to be tested and brought them up with me.

Last year, there was one exhibitor with a Niton X ray analyzer.
                            Forgot their name but they most likely will be there in 2011.

Showed them my 3 samples and asked if I could pay them to have them tested.
                            Told them I am a bozo tig welder and wanted to know the alloy of these stainless pieces as I had an upcoming job.

They were most gracious and tested my samples for free.

The test took all of 1o to 15 seconds if that long. The analyzer looks like a portable bar code reader but is much more sophisticated and costs $20,000 and up.

It read out that my samples were 15-5 PH stainless and 416 stainless.

For me it was worth the drive but there may be a less costly answer for you.

This gentleman on ebay has a much more sophisticated machine which will give you the elemental analysis of your sample.

I emailed Gary and he was extremely helpful. He will give you the detailed elemental analysis of your sample. However, unlike the Niton gun, he may not be able to match your sample to an exact alloy. But it is easy to look up the composition of almost any alum alloy and probably match it to your sample.

I plan to send him some samples in the near future as it is a lot easier than driving 12 hours round trip.

Gary's analysis start at $15, less than 4 gallons of gas (at the moment) or 3 gallons of diesel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hope it helps,

Comment

I called the company that makes that part. (Stahlin)
                              Good company and good response.

The engineer looked at the drawing of the part and said it was 3003 H14 aluminum.
                              3003-H14 (QQ-A-250/2c)
                              General purpose manganese alloy. Stronger than 1100 with same good formability and low cost. Fine corrosion resistance and weldability. Used in stampings, spun and drawn parts, mail boxes, cabinets, tanks, fan blades. For higher strength, consider 5052-H32.

Answer....You can weld it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.