Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

More train bridge orders.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More train bridge orders.

Things must be getting better i just got an order for 3 more O scale ceiling train bridge layouts. I never thought i would use up the first 5,000' of 3/8 sq tube and i just ordered another 5,000'. So in a few days it will be weld away. The bridge's prob will have 12,000 tacks and a few thousand parts on them...Bob
    Attached Files

Great looking work! Engineering and fabrication in miniature sure must be a pleasure compared with sweating the elements to build them life-sized outdoors. Tho' I didn't see where, there must be bolt-together points on those sections. Are they modular or is every one a one-off custom design?

Comment

The curves are for 72" track and they are all the same. The straights can be made any length up to 5' thats the longest jig i have. It took me about a year to design, engineer and make all the fixtures required to make all the parts fit right because there is no tweeking anything after its welded. All the parts have been perfect for the last 9 years...Bob

Comment

That is some very nice work. I've always been a fan a model trains.

Comment

thats neat!

Comment

Bob:
            Have you ever built an HO scale version? I have an old set that is peculiar, its a Bicentenniel freedom train and I would love to do a hanging setup in my bar room.

Any assistance or ideas?

Peace,
            Paul

Comment

Keep us posted as it progresses Bob. Patience shows in a project like that. Congrats on the latest orders.

Comment

That's awesome... My son 2 1/2 would go nuts over that... All he thinks about is trains.... I usually take him down to the tracks by our house to look at them... One day someone called the cops on me thinking I was going to throw him into the train... Must of been the welding coveralls i had on...

Comment

Bob, are you big into the trains themselves as well. The reason I ask is that I have a 50's era Lionel O gauge that I just reassembled for my son to play with. We got it together up on the kitchen island and the first turn in the track was too sharp for the speed I was going and I rolled it off the track and onto the floor. The body of the steamer survived well but the reversing solenoid broke one of the teeth off the ratcheting gear. Would you know where to get one of the gears, or assemblys?

Thanks

Comment

Try here for your repairs. http://train-station.com/Pages/repair.html
                    There was a shop by me that had everything in Lionel parts but he retired and the building is empty. I have always had trains and my dad had a Lionel and i always wanted to run it up high because it took up so much room. Now i can build a bridge for myself sometime...Bob

Comment

Highly impressive work. Being a model train enthusiast myself (read: micro-ferroequinologist), I can definitely appreciate the time and effort put into those trestles. I'm looking at doing something like that in HO scale, although I do have a shelf going around the top of my room over the doorjambs already .....

Comment

thats cool I like that

Comment

Well i am knee deep in welded bridge parts. Buckets of cut tubing and lots of welding going on. I have been welding the curves for a few days making up a few extra sets for stock. About 160 tacks on each section and 25 sections made...Bob
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                            Well i am knee deep in welded bridge parts. Buckets of cut tubing and lots of welding going on. I have been welding the curves for a few days making up a few extra sets for stock. About 160 tacks on each section and 25 sections made...Bob
                            Nice work, you ready to change gears and bore some more?

Comment

Yup moved my saw next to my lathe and i am doing both boring and cutting parts...Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.