Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

another 320 cat bucket

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forgot camera again

left my camera at home again, guess i'm just too excited about getting to the hospital LOL!

thanks for the advice on the TB air-pak. i'll consider that move. right now i'm leaning towards strictly working at the shop and dropping the mobile ability. this is really just a part time thing i do. the non-mobile equipment will probably be the less expensive way to go.

grade 50 plate was used for the repair.........

Comment

pictures

well here's the pics. i always get to the end and fail to take enough pictures. that night i was tired and ready to crash. the next morning the only thing on my mind was getting the bucket back to them..............
      Attached Files

Comment

grnxrymnky,

Very good job. I have a much smaller bucket to repair so I have been following this close. Thanks for posting.

Please do not misunderstand, nothing suggested in the following. Just looking via the www it is somewhat fuzzy how 25lbs of 7018 would be used, but the true thickness and size of the patched in pieces are obviously large enough with the bevel to eat up allot of rods.

My initial instinct would be to pull the broken pieces back in place. I see now it is far better to cut them out and start from fresh.

Again, thanks for posting.

Comment

there was no way to pull the toothbar back up, reasonably. i put a logging chain from the stick pin down to the center tooth adaptor and ratcheted down til i got nervous about the chain holding together and probably didn't pull the toothbar up 1/8th inch.

as far as 25 lbs goes...not misunderstood at all...the entire rearward length (36") of the toothbar was beveled down far enough to match the bevel on the pan (approx 3/8" material beveled to within 1/8" of back side) and those corner adapters had a hefty bevel on them as well...top (about 4 passes to fill and cap it off) and bottom (more of a fillet weld where the thich toothbar meets the thinner pan i made 5 or 6 passes to tie it together--may have been overkill but...). then the sides of the toothbar where the new material for the side plates was attatched beyond the corner adapters had a bevel there as well. from the front of the bevel on the adapter to the back edge of the toothbar was probably 14". i've added a pic of the side after tacking in place and before any material was added for the side plates.

to give an idea of how much more "beef" a genuine cat bucket has, i posted about a year ago where i replaced a corner adapter on a 48" bucket for the same machine and it took 10 lbs of 1/8" rods to build up enogh to match the worn down factory welds on the opposite side. that corner adapter not only slid onto the toothbar, but was notched along the top to slide under the side plate. maybe some of that nonsensical, hard to follow description above helps paint a picture

try looking here for that post... http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=12863

that's the bucket that i was inside welding uphill and trying really hard to concentrate and my little boy walked up and hit it about three times with a 20 oz hammer i felt like i was in the liberty bell there for minute...........

i'd love to see some pictures of your project as you move along with it. i may be able to give some hard earned humble advice.......like don't let it roll down onto your toes or don't lean over it with a sweat drenched t-shirt on right after cutting on it for half an hour -- leaves more of a steam burn than anything else. i guess the sweat kind of cools it enough as to not blister too bad...ouch!...LOLOLOLOL.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enough babbling! kinda slow here at the hospital tonight, just glad to have someone to talk fun stuff with
          Attached Files

Comment

You made a good decision to replace the metal on the side cutters. The repair looks good and should hold up a while but I'm just curios why you didn't hard-face the bucket at least the tooth-bar the shanks and the lower sides of the bucket. It seems like this bucket is like many of ours and sees some pretty extreme duty digging in very abrasive aggregates.

Comment

Nice job on the bucket. I'm surprised too at the owners response. Not sure what he might have been expecting. Sometimes you can tell by looking at the rest of his equipment.

Comment

no hardfacing

thank you sir.

i sure hope it holds up, but they tore it up once already, right. i have a feeling that they were curling under something and pushing down with the stick and boom at the same time. i used to do that a lot with our ford 555 backhoe and i could really get some extreme leverage like that -- i wasn't concerned about what was happening to the bucket, i just wanted to pull the stump loose or break up the concrete or whatever.

if they bust it up again, i'll have to go up the sides past the side cutters with new material and drill new holes for them -- at least high enough to have room to put some substantial "scabs" on. i'll replace the sides with thicker material also, probably 7/8" or 1" grade 50 or T-1.

i guess the main reason that i didn't hardface anything is because they didn't ask me too. but seriously, they only asked me to repair the damage. i offered to replace the teeth and side cutters while i had them off, but they told me just to leave them off if i had to take them off. i guess they'd rather pay their yard laborer $10 an hour to put that kind of stuff back on and go ahead and get me off the clock.

later,
                jim

Comment

nice job

Hey Grnxrymnky
                  That looks like a nice job on your bucket,The last bucket i done was off a 992c cat loader,600 lb of Hobart XL 525Mig .062 at about 36-39 volts dc at about 625 in per min. And about 100 lb of Hard coat rod this bucket weighed 28,000 lbs 17 feet wide the bottom of it was 3 " thick cracked 15 foot all the way through and one line bore job.

Comment

holy smoke!

now that's what i call a repair there Machinist! 700 lbs of weld! i sure would like to see some pictures.

i really enjoy working on these excavator and backhoe buckets, but it's nowhere near steady enough for me to make a living, so i'll have to let it remain a "hobby" kinda thing. besides, if it was something i had to do i'm sure it would get old. sounds like you're in it for keeps.

have a good one man!
                    jim

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.