smoker ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoker ideas

hey, i am trying to build a small smoker out of a 55 drum and a medium propane tank. I was wondering if there was any special things I need to watch out for, or add to the desing? any one build one and have things they wish they could have done to it?

smoker ideas

Nitto9, make sure what was in the 55 gal drum. Remember, steel has pores in it, just like your skin. If that drum had poison in it, it could make you very sick or very dead... While I was doing instruction at a tech school, I would not let the students use 55 gal drums unless they were brand new.

Robbie

Comment

and it goes without saying that you need to make sure there's no fumes to ignite in either of those.
      DYNASTY 200SD
      COOLMATE 1
      MM140AS
      SPOOLMATE 100
      SPECTRUM 625 X-TREME
      SPECTRUM 125C

Comment

appreciate the concerns, the 55 had grain in it and the propane tank was drained then filled with h20 befor being cut in half. i also started a wood fire in both containers and kept it going for about 6 hours to ensure that the heat would not cause a reacaction with anything that may have been put in either. the temp was much higher then it would be at when i will be smoking it. I hope that doing this would elemenate any posible problems??? any one think that, it was not sufficent???

Comment

Nitto'

That fire would be fine for cleaning out the drum and LP tank.
          After I cut an LP tank I set a fire in it to burn away all that smell, then I make a burner out of it.
          Too bad you cant find a air or LP tank instead of using a 55 Gallon drum. You would be better off in the long run. The life span would increase 10 fold.

Comment

yea, i wish i could get another LP tank just dont want to dish out the dough right now.... Hard times man the next one i make will most likley be a 250 LP tank.... i am going to try to put a couple of coats on the 55 with the high heat paint so that may help extend the life for now.

Comment

Nitto,

I have built 2 smokers from drums, the first was a learning experience while the second I felt turned out very nice. If you like here is a link of my smoker pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfrie...eat=directlink

The one that is green and white is the second one I built. It is somewhat double insulated by using another barrel as a parts donner. It cooks great and holds its heat very well. I will leave it at that, if you have any questions about it, I would be glad to answer. Also in my signature line there is a link to my photo page where there is a rig of slightly larger nature. I think its named new roof on smoker and the other one is new smoker.

Good luck, and please show us some pics along the way.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
              Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
              Clarke 180 EN Just in case
              Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
              O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
              Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
              4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
              Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
              Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
              I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
              http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

Tom37 what area of KC do you live. I was looking at your smokers and the area looked familiar. Would it be Robandee?
                Nick
                Miller 252 Mig
                Miller Cricket XL
                Millermatic 150 Mig
                Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                2-O/A outfits
                Jet Lathe and Mill
                Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                Propane Forge
                60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Monte, I live due North of you, right down I-291 about 3 miles south of the Missouri river. I think in the pics I may have pictures in Shawnee, Independence and possible Jefferson county in Kansas.

Nitto, I know that you said money was on the lean side. I thought I would throw this out there, Ferrel gas in KC is selling old tanks fairly cheep. A buddy at work is picking up a 550 gal this week, and I believe he said he is paying 150 bucks. But the gentleman offered him a 200 gal for 75. I would think propane suppliers all over would have some sort of turn over on tanks, its probably just a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                  Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

smoker design

Good stuff here -

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

Go to 'Cookers' then the first 'sticky' -

'Pit building ratio calculator'

I'm building a small smoker right now too.

Cooking chamber is 12"d x 18".

Comment

some final pics

will try to get better ones, thanks for all the info and advice
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks great Nitto,

Now most important of all. Have you cooked on it yet?

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                        Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums

Comment

i have cooked on it but not smoked any thing in it yet. it is a combo of coal, and smoker... i have tested it with smoke just not cooked with smoke yet. thanks for the comments.

Comment

Nitto
                            Your smoker look great. You may want to put an external temp gauge about 2/3 the way up on you lid so you donít open it to check the heat.

Comment

Working...
                            X