Grinding wheel versus Flap Discs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry got held up.
    pic's are easy enough to figure out any way. but.
    D-4 is a walter and a vally side view.
    D-5 is a top and bottom view of them.
    D-9 top view close up of walter and vally, walter is 60 grit, vally is 80 grit
    D-6 &8 are walter and a new type i'm trying out thats 2 grits in one disk and a walter 60grit for comparison. top and side view.
    i'm hoping to try out the duel grit version tomorrow if my project gets to that point. i'll let ya know what i think of it after i give it a spin.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

Whats all this talk about wrenches, even the hubless wheels can be spun on and off by hand and not come loose. the direction of the grinder automatically tightens the nut. sometimes you need the wrench to loosen a cutoff wheel as they are so thin, they want to break when they get real worn. I personally go through about 5 disks a day, grinding steel 10% and aluminum 90%. I have had good results with Norton, Pferd, Tiger, Flexovit, and Walter. The one thing I discovered was don't put the disc on backwards, [I did this to get into a tight area] the little sheets of sandpaper will flap right back off and in your face. I do prefer the Zirconium wheels over AlOxide, but have never done a side by side test. It is also amazing how good a finish 40 grit will give you if handled properly. Hope this helps, Paul
      More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Flap Discs - cost benefit study

We use Metabo grinders which have a quick release nut that tightens and releases by hand so for us the Walter no tool claim is a non-issue (other grinder manufacturers also now allow for disc change without tools).

Let's do the math, the Walter discs last 33% longer than the Lehigh Valley discs. We purchase about 2500 discs per year.

Total number of Walters 1666 x 9.00 each = $14,994
        Total number of Lehigh Valley flap discs = 2500 x 1.72 = $4,300.00

That is a $10,000 savings for our company. I really believe hi volume shops like mine should not use Walter because a cost/benefit study does not justify their use.

For more information you can visit the manufacturers web site and make your own decision;

www.walter.com
        www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com

Comment

cool i'll have to give that a try. i have never been able to get them off without a wrench and didn't think they were secure enough when installing without one. seems logical the rotation would tighten them up.
          i can see how backward could cause a problem, i'll be shore not to try that. bet it looked funny though.
          Zirconium wheels over AlOxide, but have never done a side by side test.
          i have about 6 in blue and 6 in reddish brown, i was thinking that could be a question of Zirconium & Al-Oxide wheels. but the package dose not say anything about it??? they are the same order # ??any idea's if that could be the case?? how would i tell?
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

yep high volume shop i can definitely see the advantage. and i did say the tool-less nut would also have to figure in. i suspect most hobby guys wont do the trimming to get the extra use out of the walter aether. Vally is a fine product that seems to be great quality, some will just always prefer one over the other. people are just like that. just as some will never trust and sue the tool-less nuts on the grinders. i have heard of guys taking them off and going back to the old style. i have not tried them yet so i cant say one way or the other , just what i read. i never liked the tool-less saws-alls but some love them??people are just like that. some times its not just about the $$. i'm using the walters now as i got them at a great $, before that and again after i run out, i'll be using the Vally's. for me the $ difference is just too great for the minimal advantages. as a hobby guy i have time to find and use the tool to change the disk.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            JAMES

Comment

Here are some Pics of the wheels I use, the Zircomax I use on end to get into hard places, the stack of wheels is what the Co. I work for thinks are worn out, guess where they go?????and the stainless grind is with 60 grit Walter, even this course, you get a nice finish. The AVOS is the greatest, they come in 3 Scotchbrite grades and 3 sandpaper grits, just watch out in corners or edges, you can see the actual finish as you are grinding and they stay cooler so the piece will not discolor. Paul
              Attached Files
              More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

well i had a neat little project that seemed like a great chance to test the 2 ( walter and Sabra) out side by side in most uses for a flap disk. i did a little bead grinding, a lil finish for look work, some hot bead work, some rust removal, basically a lil bit of all the stuff i use them for. although truth be told most of the time i use a wire wheel for rust removal, i just threw it in as another task for them.
                i started out with identical 4.5" porta cable 7.6amp grinders.( pic 1) these 2 came from the same dealer and were purchased within a week from one another. yep they are older now but don't show any signs of use effecting there performance. great grinders IMO, well worth the $$ i shelled out a few years back.

pic's ar as fallows
                pic 1. grinders racked ready to use
                2. is both before starting ( i did miss this pic so the walter had already taken off some galvy from the pipe in this pic)
                3. disks after pipe clean only up close
                4. disks after pipe clean only a lil farther back
                5. disks on table before i started. ( pic shows a red disk for the walter but i used a blue one for the test)
                Attached Files
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                JAMES

Comment

the first job i did with them was to clean up a pic of galvy pipe (old fence pipe i think) that i intended to use as a drop stop. so i will be welding on it later and want to get the galvy off so it welds nice. i figured at this point i could see how well i could get a nice even finish on it as if it was to be a showing pice for art or a banester rail. just wanted to see how well the 2 finished it and how easily i got a uniform finish.
                  i have to say i was realy suprised at how well the sabre blended. they both took off the galvy fast and easy as expected. getting a uniform finish was the big suprise. i expected the sabre to be too ruff to get a decent finishbut it turned out to be much easyer to get a uniform finish with no visible directional marks. looked like a randum finish similer to an orbital saner would do. the sabre gets my vote for this part. if i was doing a lot of finish work i would opt for the sabre. it did however show ware already. the walter looked basically new still.

pic's
                  1. sabre finish up close on pipe
                  2. sabre finish farter back
                  3. walter finish up close on pipe
                  4. walter finish ferther back
                  5. a shot of the walter blue befor use up close
                  Attached Files
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  JAMES

Comment

well after dress up time was over. i moved on to some real work. cutting down some MIG beads to allow for a smooth mate up of parts after a little plug welding and some clean up for stacking on the old piece i was going to attach to. so at this point i took off some new and some 2 week old beads.
                    after that i went about cleaning up some rust to get ready to attach my creation. again similar results with both disk but the Sabra seemed to need a lil less push to get the same removal speeds. if you have a week grinder the Sabra would be a better bet i think.
                    the only difference i noticed here was the Sabra did wear faster than the walter. the larger grit seemed to rip off the paper leaving the smaller grit to do the work. this did seem to work out nicely though as it kinda gave it a slap effect. so it didn't have a true pattern to leave on the work and removed material with less push against it. however if you layed into them with some elbow grease the removal rate was similar. so it only helped out at a slight push not wile putting your wait into it so to speak.

after all was said and done the Sabra shower ware much more than the walter.
                    if i was doing a lot of finish work or had a week grinder the Sabra would be my choice. with a decent grinder i only see finish work as an advantage to the Sabra, but it did all the other tasks just as well. the walter did hold up better in the end, so $ would need to work into the equation to decide what will work best for you.
                    i hope this has been of some interest to at least some of you. i cant really do a fair comparison of the Vally and the walter as i only have walters in 60 grit and Vallie's in 80 and 120 grit. so it would not really be a fair comparison. but i can say i have been very happy with the performance of the Vally disks.

pic's
                    1. both finished far away pic
                    2.both closer up after work finished
                    3. the rusty mess i had to clean up.
                    4. the sabre disk up close after finished all work
                    5. the walter disk up close after finished all work
                    Attached Files
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

Thanks James, You went to alot of trouble to test them for us
                      Scott
                      HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

James,

Thanks for all your hard work on this. I just ordered some Vally Disks to try.

I currently use DeWalt ones and like them a bunch, I did try some HF ones ... not worth your time even when you factor in the low cost.

Joel
                        http://www.jhchoppers.com

Comment

i have not tried the HF ones, just saw they were on sale for about $2.30 each the other day. i would rather order from Vally as i know the quality is good. i still have a few (like 3) 120's and 1 or 2 in 80 grit from them. but mostly use the walters as i have a bunch of them, like 120 ish i think. they are all 60 grit though. i really like the 60 for most stuff any way as it cuts fast and you can still get a fairly smooth finish if needed, not that i need it often. 99% of my stuff gets painted any way and 60 is fine for that for my uses.
                          i have not tried the dewalts aether, but use there cutting disks on my 14" cut off with great results. you will have to tell us how they compare to the vally ones. no need to go to the extent i did, just a close or not close or if you will be sticking to vally after trying them.
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          JAMES

Comment

I used HF and ABN but tried Empire Abrasives. Their strip and clean outlast anything else I have tried.

Comment

Working...
                            X