Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

2050 Plasma cutter

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2050 Plasma cutter

Has anyone used the Miller 2050 Plasma cutter ? I am looking for a plasma cutter for my shop . I have read it will cut to 7/8" , this is thicker than I use normally . I use 1/2" , 5/8" often , and 3/4" once in awhile , the cutter I was looking at goes to 5/8" . Being a pipefitter , I use a torch mostly on the job and do not have a lot of exprience with plasma cutters .

You WANT a plasma cutter that is rated for a bit more than what you plan on cutting anyway. The faster it cuts your material, the better your cut usually is.

Comment

I only wish I could afford one!

Comment

plasmas

If you dont plan on doing alot of work with the unit i'm in the habit of using zip cut blades theve vitually eliminated my use of torches in many ways nice straight cuts and minimul affect to the material

Comment

Originally posted by squig
          If you dont plan on doing alot of work with the unit i'm in the habit of using zip cut blades theve vitually eliminated my use of torches in many ways nice straight cuts and minimul affect to the material

You said you use zip cut blades. Are you referring to something like a rotozip type cutter? I'm not quite sure what your referring to, but I'm interested to see if I can apply it to what I do.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Lu47Dan
            Has anyone used the Miller 2050 Plasma cutter ? I am looking for a plasma cutter for my shop . I have read it will cut to 7/8" , this is thicker than I use normally . I use 1/2" , 5/8" often , and 3/4" once in awhile , the cutter I was looking at goes to 5/8" . Being a pipefitter , I use a torch mostly on the job and do not have a lot of exprience with plasma cutters .

I use one all the time. I hope to by one here in the near future, because renting one is about $40.00 a day. I would suggest going with the biggest one you can get or have power to run, just in case you need it. The 2050 is the biggest one that will run on my Trailblazer.

SQUIG - Are your zip cut blades used on a grinder. If so I call them slitter disks. I ask because when I cut on thicker metal, the grinder get really hot. I have burned up two 5 1/2'' grinders.

Comment

zip-cut blades

Walter makes these grinder blades and there real slick,they are 1/16 thick so they dont heat up or use a lot of material width.I beileive they are called razor blades in the US the nice thing with them is they really last a long time especially if you dont force them and after you make your cut your good to go with a plasma you would have to clean your joint anyway!

Comment

Razor

Squig your correct thay are called Razor blades.And your right razor work real nice but you can always use the plasma for more detailed work.I have the 2050 on my trailblazer 301G and its a nice thing to have around.Cuts steel & aluminium like a dream.

Comment

I've never heard the term razor blades to describe grinder cut-off wheels. But I guess it's out there. I've heard zip disks, though, but usually just cut-off wheels.

Comment

the older style of cut blades were1/8 these are1/16

Comment

Thanks guy's

Thanks for the info guys . We call them wafer wheels up here , but you better have a real good grinder to run them . I have brunt up as many as four Dewalt 4.5" ginders in a day running wafer wheels at work . We use them to cut pipe in places you can't use a torch or for materials you can't burn ( SS , Al. or copper ) . Very hard to get companies to send out a plasma cutter , most are afraid they would not get it back . In my own shop I use Metabo grinders , have had my present one for about six years now and use it almost daily ,it is just starting to get weak on me . Will buy a new one and use the old one to run wire wheels . I was looking at the plasma cutters and figured bigger is better . Dan

Comment

Dan, I am a factory service rep and I may be able to help you out with a demo. Give me a call at 920-831-4854 and I will see if I can get you a Spectrum 2050 to demo. Our District sales managers get involved when we need to demo equipment and they should be able to set something up at a local distributor or even at your shop. The Plasma is definitley faster at cutting than a grinder. Remember, if it conducts electricity, a plasma arc will cut it.

Comment

hey miller scott, could i demo a machine like the sync 200? I'm up here in canada Eh!

Comment

Shop under repair .

Originally posted by Miller Scott
                            Dan, I am a factory service rep and I may be able to help you out with a demo. Give me a call at 920-831-4854 and I will see if I can get you a Spectrum 2050 to demo. Our District sales managers get involved when we need to demo equipment and they should be able to set something up at a local distributor or even at your shop. The Plasma is definitley faster at cutting than a grinder. Remember, if it conducts electricity, a plasma arc will cut it.
                            Scott , I will take you up on your offer as soon as I get my shop repaired . Lost a wall in this last wind storm , so it looks like its time for a new shop . No insurance on the building but didn't lose any tools or equipment when the wall came down . I learned a valuble lesson , when building on a budget be very very careful where your lumber comes from . Two of the wooden beams I used had powder post beatles in them , by the time I discovered them it was to late . Was planning on a new shop this year anyway . Dan

Comment

? for Miller Scott

The 2050 information I have been reading says it will cut 7/8" steel but it did not say what it would sever ?
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.