Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

2050 Plasma cutter

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my book shows a quality cut at 1'' and sever at 1 1/4''. This came from the 05 miller catalog.

Comment

Yep. It's right here, too:

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...spectrum_2050/

Comment

Lu47Dan,

I own a 2050 and use it in shop and mobile with my TB302G. Powered from the TB it does fine on 3/4" clean cuts. From my shop I can get fairly clean 1" cuts with slow steady travel and a slight forward torch angle. Most of my cuts are 1/2 aluminum and 3/4" steel.

The unit does a great job. If I were to replace it, the Miller Spectrum 1000 is my first choice. I demoed one last April and it zips through 1" steel and a 2 (1/2") plates of stacked aluminum is really no challenge for it either! If you cut a lot of 3/4" steel, take a look at the 1000.

Comment

Thanks guys .

I use some 1" in projects and jobs , but 5/8" quite often mostly 1/2" and down . I have been cutting the 1" on my band saw but it can only cut to 6" wide so I use torches to cut thick stuff wider than that . As soon as I get my new shop up I am going to build a water stove out of a couple of steam condensate tanks I have laying around . I have been looking for a plasma cutter for a few years now and have seen the 2050 and was wondering what it ran like because of the drag feature on it . This water stove has a lot of parts that are the same shape and size . I figured to make patterns and cut them with the plasma cutter to save time and effort and a lot of (*&@!%*&+-). Save me a lot of grinding on this project too. Dan

Comment

i have herd them called zip disks or cut off wheels. i guess they have different names depending on where you are from.

Comment

Originally posted by squig View Post
              If you dont plan on doing alot of work with the unit i'm in the habit of using zip cut blades theve vitually eliminated my use of torches in many ways nice straight cuts and minimul affect to the material
              Hi Squig.... just bought some 4 1/2" off ebay at a good price and curious to know how thick a material you cut with them (curves, etc.)

Here is info and a source for these Walter ZIP CUTS:

http://www.industrial-supply-store.c...f4zbbu8ACo.php

Comment

Miller 2050 plasma cutter

Originally posted by Lu47Dan View Post
                Has anyone used the Miller 2050 Plasma cutter ? I am looking for a plasma cutter for my shop . I have read it will cut to 7/8" , this is thicker than I use normally . I use 1/2" , 5/8" often , and 3/4" once in awhile , the cutter I was looking at goes to 5/8" . Being a pipefitter , I use a torch mostly on the job and do not have a lot of exprience with plasma cutters .
                Hey Lu47Dan; I use the 2050 all the time instead of the torch even doing pipe work. Power it off from my miller 250 trailblazer. Things that I wanted when I bought the 2050 was being able to cut stainless, alumimun, and steel along with being able to be portable, and being able to handle material immediately. Never used it's scarfing feature since I use an air arc alot also. Will use a torch when you have to reach into a bad area that the plasma can't get too and also if I have a lot of heavy metal to burn. If you plan on using a plasma in the field, remember the weigh that you will have to handle. Well worth the money if you have enough business to justify buying.

Comment

this might not go over well here but i have had nothing but the best experience with hyperthrem 1000. in my opinion it is better than my 2050 miller. just plainly the best one i have used so far and i have used almost all of them.

Comment

Update on the purchase of the Spectrum 2050 Plasma

I bought the 2050 last summer , and really like it . I added a Motor Guard filter to it to keep the moisture and the dirt out of it . The 2050 has done everything I have asked it to do and I am well pleased with its performance . Like anything it had its learning curve . Dan

Comment

Miller 2050 on clearance

I know its a bit late for this thread, but the Miller 2050 plasma cutter is on great sale at Grangier for $1046-

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MIL...928?Pid=search

Comment

That price doesnt sound right. I called, it sounds like they are out of stock but the service rep sounded kind of confused??
                        Last edited by Sberry; 12-07-2010, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lilredex View Post
                          Hi Squig.... just bought some 4 1/2" off ebay at a good price and curious to know how thick a material you cut with them (curves, etc.)

Here is info and a source for these Walter ZIP CUTS:

http://www.industrial-supply-store.c...f4zbbu8ACo.php
                          Zip Cut disks are Gods best friend! So be careful with them or you might meet God in person! Make sure you wear the proper protective gear, when those blades come apart its nasty. That said they truly are great! I use them all the time.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.