No announcement yet.

mobile welders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i live in a crappy city and you could buy a street of house's for 2 mil. or a 50,000 sq ft building with tooling.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Comment

From Baltic Ave to Boardwalk & Parkplace

Originally posted by vin-man welding View Post
      i live in a crappy city and you could buy a street of house's for 2 mil. or a 50,000 sq ft building with tooling.
      I know the area where CAT live's, and a 2 million dollar home is considered "average" in that neighborhood.

Dave
      "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

good day eh! sorry, couldn't resist adding the canadian thing! My 2cents? My work is my reputation. I know fusionking is with me on this, that's why he can charge, he's good at what he does. If i built and sold a piece of artwork, that has my name on it, i would never have called some local welder to come out ond patch it up. the piece would have gone back to my shop, fixed the weld, and any others, myself, and sent it back to the powder coater, not tacked back together and shot at with a spray bomb! to me, this is 'overchargeing' at its greatest! don't you care that someone, rich or not, paid you $1300 and now has to know that you didn't even care eneogh about your reputation to fix it properly, then complain that the welder ripped YOU off? Your only concern was that even after dumping your 'art', you still made a profit. I don't live in a million dollar neighborhood, but i would have made that piece right, and when the customer finally got the piece, they would be proud of it, because i would be proud of it. I don't care if i'm making art, welding up a boat top, or changing your oil, i do it to the best of my ability, and if i'm happy with it, you will be too, and if my work fails, i make it right, free of charge. imo, cat needs to go get that piece of 'art' and fix it properly, get it powdercoated again, and give it back to her customer. If she can't do this, she hasn't earned my respect as either a craftsman or a tradesman.

Comment

regional price differences

Originally posted by cat View Post
          I have a question for all you mobile welders-what is a typical charge for labor and travel? Especially if you are in Mass.
          I had an art piece sent to a client UPS. In shipping a weld was broken. I told the client to take the piece to a welding shop, they would grind the broken weld, reweld, dress the weld if needed and then it could be spray painted black (original was black powdercoat). The person who packed the piece for shipping didn't want to go after UPS. Instead of this client taking this piece in, she called a mobile service (she couldn't figure out how to remove 4 screws to make it easy to take in; she and hubby are both doctors-go figure). This is the charge: $150 labor (includes $25 travel fee) plus $5 in material costs and this is what they did: grind the old weld, spot weld in 4 spots and spray paint.
          Is this a realistic charge? Seems ridiculous to me.
          cat
          Cat,
          Yes ,you might have easily paid $100 for an experienced pair of eyes to evaluate problem. It also occurs to me that the art very well might have cost more in "Taxachusetts" ,I am not surprised customer did not attempt disassembly. The cust's being Dr.s' a minor detail. Spot weld is someones description of work,the welders words ?
          An on site repair of a decorative piece that satisfied the customer,priceless ! Not worth thinking about again.
          Regards,Ed Flanagan

Comment

prices

Hey everybody im glad to be here. I am getting some great information. I have a question. I worked at a refineary here in Tuscalosa and the rig welders there got paid $30 an hour and $6 hour for there rig the company paid all consumables. So how do some of you get 65 to 100 an hour?

Comment

Originally posted by uncled View Post
              Hey everybody im glad to be here. I am getting some great information. I have a question. I worked at a refineary here in Tuscalosa and the rig welders there got paid $30 an hour and $6 hour for there rig the company paid all consumables. So how do some of you get 65 to 100 an hour?
              First of all most self employed welders that go mobile don't get subsidized by a company. We have to pay for every thing and that is how you get to an hourly rate.
              Also that refinery you worked at did they treat you as employees with benefits and you just supplied your own welder and talent.??
              That makes a BIG difference.

Comment

prices

I see what your talking about. They must get there insurance paid for plus all there consumable.

Comment

costs, mobile welding

Uncle Ed-
                  Look at the $36/hr like this: 30 an hour, forty hours a week = 60k a year. Pretty good salary for a lot of hard work.
                  The $6 per hour covers your welder.
                  Now. Think of all the things you DON'T have to worry about that a full service welding shop does have to cover.
                  Advertising, building and maintaining a workshop, insurance of all kinds, bonding, licensing, a shop full of tools.
                  The last item was ridiculed a few times earlier in the thread, but if you don't have the equipment to do what needs to be done, customers will simply go to someone who does, at whatever rate that someone charges.
                  No one can claim to have the equipment and knowledge to do every single job that comes along, but most welding shops have a lot of tools that don't get used every day, so that they can be available when that certain job comes along.
                  OK, back to the hourly charge.
                  Take that $60k a year and allow for the fact that you can't be on site forty hours a week doing on-call mobile welding...in fact, most of us have a shop and do some on-call work, so each time out there's some scramble time just to get out the door. Suddenly you aren't working a forty hour a week job, it's more like 25-30 of actual hands on time, so your hourly gross pay might be $60, and your overhead (not all business people actually know what their costs are- only the successful ones) tends to approximately double that.
                  Here we are, back at $120 per hour.
                  That make sense for starters?
                  Andy G.

Comment

Originally posted by ElementFe View Post
                    Uncle Ed-
                    Look at the $36/hr like this: 30 an hour, forty hours a week = 60k a year. Pretty good salary for a lot of hard work.
                    The $6 per hour covers your welder.
                    Now. Think of all the things you DON'T have to worry about that a full service welding shop does have to cover.
                    Advertising, building and maintaining a workshop, insurance of all kinds, bonding, licensing, a shop full of tools.
                    The last item was ridiculed a few times earlier in the thread, but if you don't have the equipment to do what needs to be done, customers will simply go to someone who does, at whatever rate that someone charges.
                    No one can claim to have the equipment and knowledge to do every single job that comes along, but most welding shops have a lot of tools that don't get used every day, so that they can be available when that certain job comes along.
                    OK, back to the hourly charge.
                    Take that $60k a year and allow for the fact that you can't be on site forty hours a week doing on-call mobile welding...in fact, most of us have a shop and do some on-call work, so each time out there's some scramble time just to get out the door. Suddenly you aren't working a forty hour a week job, it's more like 25-30 of actual hands on time, so your hourly gross pay might be $60, and your overhead (not all business people actually know what their costs are- only the successful ones) tends to approximately double that.
                    Here we are, back at $120 per hour.
                    That make sense for starters?
                    Andy G.
                    exactly...to make 40 hours takes a ton for me.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                    X