Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look What $800.00 Will Get Ya !!(Not Much)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Look What $800.00 Will Get Ya !!(Not Much)

    Look what was delivered to me this afternoon. 2 pieces 6" sch40 pipe 12 Ft. long. It's galvanized but should be gold plated at that price. I am not sure why a contractor or for that matter anybody would pay $175.00 more than what he would have too. Any way thies are going to be columns to support a single story porch roof. They get set in concrete four feet deep and 20" round. My job is to fabricate saddles for the wood beams to bolt to. Have to wait to get exact measurements you know get that in writing have the contractor sign that that's the measurments needed, It's called covering your rear end, then I can get started. All in a days work.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Originally posted by urch55 View Post
    Look what was delivered to me this afternoon. 2 pieces 6" sch40 pipe 12 Ft. long. It's galvanized but should be gold plated at that price. I am not sure why a contractor or for that matter anybody would pay $175.00 more than what he would have too. Any way thies are going to be columns to support a single story porch roof. They get set in concrete four feet deep and 20" round. My job is to fabricate saddles for the wood beams to bolt to. Have to wait to get exact measurements you know get that in writing have the contractor sign that that's the measurments needed, It's called covering your rear end, then I can get started. All in a days work.
    I refer to that as CYA I'll let you figure the letters out...

    Are you going to bolt your saddles to the pipe so as not to burn off the galvy coating? or weld and re-dip?

    They should have ordered bare steel weld as needed and then powder coated the finish product to color match.. to each their own I guess..

    Comment


    • #3
      Jump "Yes Sir How High"

      I will weld the saddles to the pipe. the saddles are going to be made out of 1/4" hot roll flat bar. I think the contractor is just going to spray it with zinc.. I do not know why the engineer spec ted it out with Galvanize. But you know the old saying they say jump we say how high..But that was the second question I asked the contractor why Galvanized..
      Bob

      Comment


      • #4
        Sir Yes Sir

        Bob,

        I understand your position, I have been there many times myself.

        Normally after welding the next and last phase to a project is the painting I did industrial coatings for several years.. By the time the job gets to you they are over-budget or out of money and expect you to do miracles for nothing..

        Just keep the fans on High..

        Comment


        • #5
          He is Heavy He is Pipe

          Originally posted by Pass-N-Gas View Post
          Bob,

          I understand your position, I have been there many times myself.

          Normally after welding the next and last phase to a project is the painting I did industrial coatings for several years.. By the time the job gets to you they are over-budget or out of money and expect you to do miracles for nothing..

          Just keep the fans on High..
          A big Amen on the fans, I think I will do that welding outside with a fan on as well.. I need your big girl over here, at 19 lbs per ft. It would be nice to have a helping hand. Of course as you can see in one of the pictures I do have a engine hoist.But that is no comparison to your Girl..
          Bob

          Comment


          • #6
            She's Topped Off..

            and ready for a road trip..LOL..

            When were done with your project I could go to the beach and pick up an order of those bikini fish that your state is noted for..

            Comment


            • #7
              Gone Fishin

              Originally posted by Pass-N-Gas View Post
              and ready for a road trip..LOL..

              When were done with your project I could go to the beach and pick up an order of those bikini fish that your state is noted for..
              Are you talking about the ones with legs or fins.????

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                2 pieces 6" sch40 pipe 12 Ft. long.

                Nice to see Jesse James is alive and well, living in Gulfport Florida!!!
                Ouch!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Spud Shooter

                  Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                  Nice to see Jesse James is alive and well, living in Gulfport Florida!!!
                  Ouch!
                  Yes Talk about a gigantic side by side.Hmmmm I wander what gauge this could be.??? I will have to nail (weld) it down If I fire it off July 4th.. WOW talk about a spud shooter. What is you longitude and latitude. Hehehe

                  Bob

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    One down and One to go.

                    Well I got one of the saddles tacked up. I think I will weld it on the outside only so it won't interfere with the wood beam. Plus it would be over kill to weld both sides and the prints don't show it has to anyway. Of course the pipe is over kill to begin with..

                    Bob

                    Name:  4f0e8d1d23906831c019c8d1358c7a5e.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  17.4 KB

                    Name:  29761ddf1803ddae8c7a7fbfa647fba2.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  18.2 KB

                    Name:  5529ce51dfc50d9c9d3e4bebd7da929a.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  19.4 KB

                    Name:  7e8c064cb0d7813a6d09675d3c0d6278.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  16.4 KB

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      urch,

                      First reaction:

                      Must be some big@ss porch to require those columns.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Columns on Steroids

                        Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                        urch,

                        First reaction:

                        Must be some big@ss porch to require those columns.
                        Nope... That was my first question to the contractor why so big of a pipe.?? I think 4" would have been plenty. They are holding up 3 1/2" x 12" Versa Beam the open porch span from one column to another is 16'9" and the span from the column to the house is 21'9". Basically it is just a 17'x22' hip roof, nothing else. The engineered plans call it a open air porch.. I think the Engineers over spec things to make sure nothing happens..
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by reggie
                          I guess if the posts are gonna be left visible those would look better than smaller ones.However, I don't have much faith in those pipe to plate welds to much coldlap attoe of weld .Looks like your fusion is weak, if not absent...wouldn't want my head under it
                          That "weld" has four to six passes, you can see the plate is 4" so that weld has filled in a 1" gap. I did use a 3/8" filler strip so the first few stringer beads has a good fusion, two of the gaps did not receive any filler strip. And of course don't forget the welds under the plate, I did them with 6011 because of the galvanizing, and the ones you speak of was done with a mig because it did not come in contact with the coating because it was cut in a saw...I know some of you guys may not think so but the last weld I weaved in was for looks only, just to hide the stringer beads I did.
                          Last edited by urch55; 07-02-2009, 08:49 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Mermaids

                            Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                            Are you talking about the ones with legs or fins.????
                            Depending on the design factor of the mermaid it could be a little of both

                            I picked up some galvanized floor grating today that needs cut with a torch so we will both be working in the shadow of the fan...

                            I even went so far as to get a fresh gallon of milk...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              a 6" colom seams reasonable to me but your probably not going to see the snow loads that i would.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.