Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cure for butter fingered Airman

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Real ?

OK allow me to clarify once more. There are precisely zero safety concerns with this cage. The sampler is used on JP-8 with a flash point of 118F. The fuel is discharging from the truck at a max of 50psi from a one inch line. For all the safety minded folks out there the man taking the sample is in full PPE. As for creating a spark, and starting a fire, letís just say that my concerns for getting struck by lightning are about the same. I realize that you are just trying to help and thatís cool, however let me reassure you. I have been working with jet fuel for 11 years, I follow my tech data to the letter, and for every rule OSHA gives civilians AFOSH gives me two more. Additionally, we did put it into the field and it worked great.

P.S. To the gentleman that suggested using wood; This is a welding site I think you were looking for this:
    www.newyankee.com

Comment

Originally posted by CaseyMckinney View Post
      OK allow me to clarify once more. There are precisely zero safety concerns with this cage. The sampler is used on JP-8 with a flash point of 118F. The fuel is discharging from the truck at a max of 50psi from a one inch line. For all the safety minded folks out there the man taking the sample is in full PPE. As for creating a spark, and starting a fire, letís just say that my concerns for getting struck by lightning are about the same. I realize that you are just trying to help and thatís cool, however let me reassure you. I have been working with jet fuel for 11 years, I follow my tech data to the letter, and for every rule OSHA gives civilians AFOSH gives me two more. Additionally, we did put it into the field and it worked great.

P.S. To the gentleman that suggested using wood; This is a welding site I think you were looking for this:
      www.newyankee.com

Well golly gee whiz bang you could of made the cage out of aluminum or brass as well. and used a non sparking brass bolt.. your great little invention might go 100 times without incident but all it takes is that one time and you have dead or burned people to deal with all because you overlooked the possibility of a spark created by a metal cage or bolt.

But hey you know it all..

Were just dumb civilian peons here in the patch.... Who provides you with the fuel that you use...

Comment

Pass-N-Gas, I suppose I read a post from someone and they assured me that this was there area of expertise I would go ahead and take their word for it. I posted a photo of a simple project that I designed to save time and prevent fuel spills. I also stated that I followed all safety regulations. That should have been that, instead I got the bad son treatment from people that have never met me. I guess I just figured this was a site for people to bounce ideas off each other. In response to your comment "Were just dumb civilian peons--who provides you with the fuel you useĒ I have no issue with civilians, I work with and for many civilians directly. When I find myself against a wall, the tech team I call is full of civilian chemists. Furthermore, I make no mistake about the fact that as a government employee I work for you. In doing so, I have additional regulations I have to follow. I have civilian inspectors and military inspectors. If I offended you, that is unfortunate. All I ask is, if someone says ďno guys, itís cool I checked the regs alreadyĒ drop it and move on.

Comment

Sounds to me like the safety police were off work yesterday and just had to have something to do.

I have to go with Larwyn and Old Sporty. By the way CaseyMckinney I like the cage idea, looks like it will solve the problem.

Comment

Casey, looks good! I know nothing about collecting fuel, but I trust youve been around long enough to know what NOT to do, and if that keeps you from dropping the sample, then case closed, good night, and all that jazz.

Pass'n: Normally I have no issue with your posts...but youre treating this guy like hes your 5 year old kid...lay off just a little man. He's obviously still alive, and as a government worker (I would never want a government job btw) he has to deal with far more stringent regulations for pooping than most people do for driving.

On that happy note...do you have one of these Pass? Might need it for when you drive a nail in a hazardous environment... http://www.amazon.com/Ampco-German-S...810257&sr=8-10

Comment

Glad its working out well! Safety is a strange thing. As a fellow pilot once pointed out to me " Its amazing how much safety gear these pilots wear, to climb into a machine with the sole intent of putting themselves in danger".
              -Aaron

Comment

hey great looking cage, happy its working out for you.

Comment

Heck, it's safety orange; what more could OSHA want??

I like it, local problem; inhouse solution.

What process; MIG, TIG, Oxy?

I agree with Larwyn here. If the safety police had their way, I couldn't have motorcycles, power tools, snowmobiles, driver's license, .357 handgun, 12ga bird gun, 12ga 18" barrel, ammo, alcohol, buck knife, Leatherman, soldering iron, Raid, acetone, lawnmower, hacksaw, radial arm saw, bandsaw, several 4 1/2" grinders (with guards), an O/A setup, Syncrowave, matches, propane garage heater, dynamite (oops)
                  Last edited by Craig in Denver; 07-07-2009, 04:08 PM. Reason: dynamite, not dynomite

Comment

I used the passport plus and a slightly modified northern bender. They dont give you big enough dies so I welded some steel plate together for the bigger turns. I know what you mean safety man has been after me for my stack of bottle rockets and 70s ****o.

Comment

Very cool Casey. Solves the problem and it's artistic too. As a former engineer and now a metal artist I think it's great. cat

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.