Harbor Freight Tubing Roller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jworman View Post
    Somewhere I may still have the 1' tube and the 1/2" square I bent. If so, and there is interest I can take a photo.

Yes please! Inquiring minds would like to see!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

HF Tubing bender

I didn't find the tube yet, but we are getting a unusual (for us) bit of rain so I didn't prowl around in my scrap pile too long.

The square tube is bent about as tight as the machine will allow. The second photo shows the tube hitting the adjusting screw.

Also here is a photo of the small die and the large die. There is one in the middle.

As I said, I haven't used it much, but I expect to.

John
      Attached Files

Comment

John thank you for posting the pictures!

Actually that isn’t very impressive for a smaller diameter bend! Years ago there was a member here with the handle of AZ Coyote I think. He posted these pictures of a modification he did to his Harbor Freights shape bender.
        There sure seems to be a gap between the tubing roller and the shape bender far as size of radius. AZ Coyote’s method is good up to 3-inch, but the roller looks like it could only go down to 12 inch or so.
        Attached Files
        Caution!

Comment

It is NOT supposed to do small bends

It is a Roller not a Bender.

Try putting an Arch in some tubing for a gate with Az's modified Bender this is not a dig on AZ's mod-

If you need a Tube bender, buy a Tube bender

If you need a Roller, buy a Roller
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
            John thank you for posting the pictures!

Actually that isn’t very impressive for a smaller diameter bend! Years ago there was a member here with the handle of AZ Coyote I think. He posted these pictures of a modification he did to his Harbor Freights shape bender.
            There sure seems to be a gap between the tubing roller and the shape bender far as size of radius. AZ Coyote’s method is good up to 3-inch, but the roller looks like it could only go down to 12 inch or so.
            I believe it's a completely different animal. This HF tube bender doesn't cave in the front and back. If you wanted a large circle or maybe run a liquid through the tube, it would be the way to go.

The AZ Coyote mod is a great one for tight bends, but it isn't good for what the other one is good for.

I have a home made bender like the AZ one that my neighbor made. It does a great job if you don't mind the distortion at the bend.

If you look here, and scroll down a bit you can see mine bending 1" and I've done 1 1/4" and 1 1/2".

www.zianet.com/jworman/shoptips.html

(sorry, I couldn't make the link work)

This works great for what it does, but I'd hate to make a wheel or something with a large radius with it.

John

Comment

I realize they do two different things! I was just stating there is a gap; it would be nice to have box tubing “roller” that could roll a circle smaller than 12-inches without a segmented look. I don’t see why you couldn’t roll a piece of 1/8-inch round stock in a rig roller and tack it in the center of the upper roller of the tubing roller, and do the same thing as the AZ bender. As AZ had stated you have to force the wall of the box tube inside it’s self to achieve a smooth radius.
              Caution!

Comment

Sonora Iron -

Here's some rings for you -

http://www.kingmetals.com/Default.as...=899*Rings*0@@

Comment

Considering...

That the Eastwood model sells for around four times as much and IMO some of Eastwoods stuff is also of marginal quality and probably made in China also,for a couple hundred bucks seems like the H.F. is worth it just for a try out. I am probably going to get one myself just to check it out. Not too much to lose but a couple hundred bucks if it doesnt work out .Mike

Comment

crawdaddy -

I agree with you - Eastwood, Northern and others seem to carry a lot of the same tools as HF they just charge more !

I bought the HF bender for bending arches for arbors, trellises gate and fence tops etc.

I made these adjustable dies to roll square and rectangular tubing.

I wasn't concerned about the bearings in the two lower rollers but I may drill the axle and add a zirk fitting so smooth things out.

The bottom piece is 1/2" 16g, middle is 3/4" 16g and the top is 1" 14g.

The 1" 14g was tuff to bend I'm hoping 1" 16g will be easier.

Comment

Chuck, how do I talk you into making a second set of those dies?
                      Jack Olsen
                      The Garage(And its slideshow)
                      The Car(And its slideshow)

Comment

I would be embarrassed to tell you how long it took me to make those dies.

I have a 12x36 HF lathe that I bought from a company that bought HF returns.

For someone with a CNC lathe it would be a piece of cake.

Comment

I have been watching this thread all the while thinking I would also like to give this a whirl.
                          Today I blasted down to Springfield and picked one up! $139 is simply unreal when you look this thing over.
                          I have been considering the Pro-Tools model for like $1100. And others that run $3000+.
                          I got it out of the box and checked it out...it is already assembled. I am not gonna say a whole lot because I have not used it but my first impression is the quality is unreal for the price. I bought the square die set along with it.
                          Picked up an air riveter and a few sanding belts as well.
                          I cannot help but feel this tool could be a must have for most people unless there is something fundamentally wrong that I am not yet aware of...I'll know soon enuff.
                          I seems to be much better than any of the "pipe" benders they have.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Roller

Bought one this week. Had a quick gate job to do. Roller worked outstanding! I tried to roll 3/4 square in the round rollers (even though I knew better) all it did was twist. I had to fab up a flat roller for the top position. Worked flawlessly.
                            Attached Files
                            I hate rude behavior in a man.....Won't tolerate it. Capt. Woodrow F. Call

Comment

Beautiful gate cc51!
                              I have a roller with the box tube dies in transit, should be here this week. I’m curious to see how long the flat spot is? Then wondering if I can weld the ends of the material together, and reinsert the material back in the roller to work the flat spot out to form a perfect circle? Not that I need a perfect circle for any foreseeable projects, just want the ability to make them.
                              Caution!

Comment

Virtually every tube roller of that nature (that costs several times more) says right on their info that it will not do a circle.
                                I'm not saying they won't just passing on what they say.
                                As far as the flat spot goes you simply tug the tube outside of the machine and roll it past aways (farther than the flat spot x 2) and then cut it on both ends, re-align them, and weld them together.
                                Wait untill you read their directions!! They are horrible. They contradict themselves and are just plain FOS on the capability. Which causes people to try to do things that just plain out is not gonna happen.
                                This machine is for long radius bends...like 10 foot radius's...not 10 inches like they say in the "manual"
                                I am sitting with the "manual" in front of me and it says you can bend:

1" tube on a 5" radius
                                1 1/2" tube on a 7 1/2" radius
                                2" tube on a 10" radius

They lay this on you right after telling you that you cannot bend tube larger than 1 1/4"

They also tell you the rollers are 4" in diameter which is the smallest diameter you can make with this tool.

If this were possible everyone would sell their benders and run to Harbor Freight because this would be the end-all of all benders ever made were this capability possible. Literally a "pipe dream"

Now using it in the realm of realizing it is a low dollar version of this sort of machine it offers a good value for what you pay and in capable hands could turn out some decent work... altho not perfect or identical without MUCH practice.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                                Miller WC-115-A
                                Miller Spectrum 300
                                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                                X