Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first gate project (very simple)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first gate project (very simple)

Here are some pictures of a gate that I'm making to replace the wooden one that is falling apart. The first one is the gate nothing fancy. The third picture is the base plate that I anchored in the concrete. I will weld a 2-1/2" square 3/16" tube to the plate pictures to follow. The fourth picture is were the gate will end up after the wooden gate will be taken down. The last picture is the iron gate up against the wooden gate that will be trashed. Still have alot of work to do. I need to paint the gate, poles, floor plates and hardware. Then it all has to be put together. Wish me luck I have never done anything like this before a first time. Once hung and operating properly at that time I would like to put some artistic pieces to give it a custom look. I'll post more pictures as I go along. Aloha!!
    Attached Files

looks good, nice job.
    throw some paint on that bad boy and get her mounted up.

Comment

Here are some more pictures of the gate I made all is painted and the gate is in use. I have a half sheet of 1/8" plate and would like to make a sign to hang on the gate. Where would I get some artistic templates to use as guides to cut a sign?
      Attached Files

Comment

More pictures
        Attached Files

Comment

Gate

Nice Work! I like the design and it is plenty tough.

Take Care,

John

Comment

Dog Control Device

That looks like a real nice gate, you did a great job. I like thoes barrel hinges with a ball bearing and Zerk fitting. Your dog now can see who he is going to bite.Hehehe
            Bob

Comment

Hi Mililaniman - I lived in Lanikai in 1982-84 and worked at Pearl Harbor as civilians on nuclear subs. We miss Hawaii very much but planning a visit again next year. What kind of sign are you going to make? If just words, can you download some stencils to trace and then free-hand cut with a plasma cutter? I cut everything freehand. Could do the same with figures. Do you know about King Architectural? They sell all sorts of collars, scrolls, things that you can add to your gate designs in the future. Looks great. cat

Comment

Very Nice Gate, Big Ass Dog

Comment

Great Job keep up the good work

Comment

Mililani Stick Man

Great gate.

I am lucky having artistic friends.

If I need a design such as an animal or a scroll or similar artistic thing, I get a piece of paper and draw the rough size of the design.
                    Then I let the true artists go to work.
                    It is amazing to watch them play.

When they get a design that I think works, I freeze it and buy them all dinner.
                    I still feel I am cheating as they can come up with such beautiful designs in 2 minutes when it would take me days and my work would look terrible.

I could use clip art but I would rather my friends get the credit and thrill from driving by and seeing their desing in person.

I take photos of the finished piece and also engrave their name on the work so they get the credit they deserve.

I can weld a bit but I can't draw so everyone wins.

Hope this helps

Comment

Some more pictures of my projects the first pic is the sign that I'm going to hang on the gate. I cut it with my plasma cutter from a sheet of 1/8" mild steel. I'll be putting lettering on the sign between the two dogs that welding it to the outside of the gate hopefully I can center it so it looks good.
                      The other two pics are an old water heater someone was throwing away. So I took it home stripped it and cut the lower side open I will try to weld it back so the round side is on the outside insteed of the inside. First time doing something like this. It seems to be a popular project to make a grill or a smoker.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani Stick Man View Post
                        Some more pictures of my projects the first pic is the sign that I'm going to hang on the gate. I cut it with my plasma cutter from a sheet of 1/8" mild steel. I'll be putting lettering on the sign between the two dogs that welding it to the outside of the gate hopefully I can center it so it looks good.
                        The other two pics are an old water heater someone was throwing away. So I took it home stripped it and cut the lower side open I will try to weld it back so the round side is on the outside insteed of the inside. First time doing something like this. It seems to be a popular project to make a grill or a smoker.
                        Stick Man: Looks like that will be a very nice sign.

Next time you can get a water heater try this, the rounded bottom pointed upwards does not really hurt. You can allways add a grate for wood and for Meat Yum Yum..
                        http://www.millerwelds.com/interests...ct/3385554746/

Comment

great work.this gate is showing your hard work..keep it up..

Comment

simplbut looks good.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.