Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help for a welding machine modification project (Please come in and help me.)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
    if i had to increase the duty cycle for a project be it a school thing or a bet with a Friend i think i would make some heat sinks with water channels so i could use a cooler to run cold water threw the heat sinks attached to the transformer.
    some aluminum heat sinks set up to use water to help cool attached to the transformer and then add a standard welding torch cooler to cool the water. many easy ways to build a cooler and the heat sinks could be as simple or complicated as you saw fit.
    best of luck.

the heat sink with water channel will costly?
    can sir tell me more detail about this heat sink, as well as give me a photo for reference.
    thank you.

Comment

This is unreal.
      Jim

Comment

Sounds like someone wants someone else to do his school project for him.

When I was in school that was called plagiarism.
        Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
        Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
        Hobart HH187
        Dialarc 250 AC/DC
        Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
        Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
        PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
        Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
        Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
        More grinders than hands

Comment

Well so far we don't know if it's a school project or if he's too tight or broke to buy a welder that he needs plus we have no idea of where he lives in spite of being asked. Pretty hopeless from my point of view.

Edit: Sorry for my attitude. It's been a long day.
          Last edited by Jim-TX; 09-06-2007, 10:24 PM.
          Jim

Comment

Windson,

The heat sink should have as much surface area as possible. Most heat sinks have fins to increase surface area. You want it to conduct heat well so it should be made out of aluminum. They make heat sink compound that is used on rectifiers to increase the thermal conductivity between the heat sink surface and the surface of the rectifier component to be cooled. You should use some of this when you mount the heat sinks. The mating surface of the heat sink should be as smooth and flat as possible. The heat sink should be mounted so it is as tight against the transformer as possible. The torque should be one half turn less than what it takes to break either the bolts or the heat sink.

Your welder is AC only. The DC voltage specification is a not correct. This specification is an error on the drawing. You don't get DC out of the secondary of a transformer. There are no diodes necessary for rectification to get DC. The fact that this welder was made in Malaysia is probably why you have the error on the drawing - something was lost in translation. Trust me, the welder is AC only.

Now, if you want to increase capacity I can tell you how to do it very cheaply, but it will only work one time. If you look at the primary of the transformer you will see the tap switch. Just above the tap switch is the high limit temperature switch. When you find the tap switch just follow the wire and you will come to the high limit switch. It will be mounted on the transformer surface so it can sense the temperature of the transformer. Now, this switch is what we call in the electrical field Normally closed (N.C.). The way it works is it is normally closed until a certain temperature is reached and then its contacts will open taking power off the transformer. The welder fan will continue to run, and when enough heat has been taken away, the contacts will close again and you can strike up another arc. It does this automatically so you don't have to manually reset anything.

Now the cheap way to increase the duty cycle, and remember I said it will only work one time, is to jump out the high limit temperature switch. Now I can't tell you how long the duty cycle will last but I can assure you it will last until the transformer starts smoking and finally gives up and dies. And boy will it stink. An experienced electrician can many times tell you what has burned up just from the smell, and a transformer is easy to identify.

Now I must warn you that anytime you experiment with something that has 240 volts like the transformer has on the primary, you should be very careful. 250 milliamps ( just a quarter of an amp) through the heart will stop it or send it into fibrillation. Be sure to unplug the welder before jumping out the temperature switch. Please don't hold me liable if you don't.

Now Windsom, in all fairness, be honest with us now, haven't you been pulling our leg a little bit. In our southern idiom pulling someones leg means the same thing as joking around with them. And that one on the
            metal- that was a good one too.
            sigpic 6010
            If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Comment

PS
              Mr Windson

The fact that you seem to know that a 40 degree evaporator coil would be frozen solid makes me think you are a little smarter than some of us might have thought you were in the beginning. That is if the gas was r-22
              sigpic 6010
              If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, you're a great poster and I generally agree with most of what you say. This post, however, went off the deep end.

What you told this kid was like giving a kid a pair of roller skates and telling him to go play in traffic. Bypassing the thermal shutdown does not increase the duty cycle, it simply gives him a means of "easily" frying the welder.

I started to suspect a degree of BS when I read the "recommended torque" on the bolts holding a heat sink. !/2 turn less than where the bolt or heat sink shears? Do you go ahead a shear off the bolt, somehow back out the threads 1/2 turn, and then weld the sheared off bolt back to the remaining threads.

This was definitely not typical of your normal posts. This kid is an accident looking for a place to happen. I'm not going to give him a roadmap.

Just my .02
                Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                Hobart HH187
                Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                More grinders than hands

Comment

Point taken. It is just that I don't think we are messing with a kid here. I think it is someone older messing with us. If I am wrong about Windsom then I apologize, but I think he is determined to screw that welder up anyway if he is a kid. But I think he is sitting back laughing at us right now. Have you noticed he hasn't mentioned his age, where he lives, why he is wanting to modify his welder. And have you noticed his english seems to be getting worse not better.
                  sigpic 6010

Comment

Yup! it's starting to stink a little

I too have been smelling a dead rat on this one as he has been posting on all of the other sites that I frequent. Appears to be playing dumb, but yet knows the big words. I may be wrong but I think someone we all know may be conducting another experiment. Just my .02, and I've been wrong before, so who knows. Dave
                    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
                    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

Now, if you want to increase capacity I can tell you how to do it very cheaply, but it will only work one time. If you look at the primary of the transformer you will see the tap switch. Just above the tap switch is the high limit temperature switch. When you find the tap switch just follow the wire and you will come to the high limit switch. It will be mounted on the transformer surface so it can sense the temperature of the transformer. Now, this switch is what we call in the electrical field Normally closed (N.C.). The way it works is it is normally closed until a certain temperature is reached and then its contacts will open taking power off the transformer. The welder fan will continue to run, and when enough heat has been taken away, the contacts will close again and you can strike up another arc. It does this automatically so you don't have to manually reset anything.

Now the cheap way to increase the duty cycle, and remember I said it will only work one time, is to jump out the high limit temperature switch. Now I can't tell you how long the duty cycle will last but I can assure you it will last until the transformer starts smoking and finally gives up and dies. And boy will it stink. An experienced electrician can many times tell you what has burned up just from the smell, and a transformer is easy to identify.

i cant try this way,
                      if just remove the thermostat, and welds until the transformer become burn, the objectiveof this project to improve duty cycle of the machine is become meaningless.

Comment

dabar39 Yup! it's starting to stink a little

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        I too have been smelling a dead rat on this one as he has been posting on all of the other sites that I frequent. Appears to be playing dumb, but yet knows the big words. I may be wrong but I think someone we all know may be conducting another experiment. Just my .02, and I've been wrong before, so who knows. Dave

i think you have it in a nut shell.
                        no way you could have a project to increase the duty cycle of a welder and not know what a heat sink is???? and its a small step from a heat sink to a water cooled one. wile i have no problem explaining how to make a water cooled heat sink i too suspect its all just a game to see how long we will tolerate it ??

i did however like the tighten until 1/2 a turn before snapping off the bolt. wile it sounds silly i'm shore his intention was to make the point get it as tight as possible without breaking anything.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

"the objectiveof this project to improve duty cycle of the machine is become meaningless."

Boy, you got that right. As was I think this entire thread.

Comment

i did however like the tighten until 1/2 a turn before snapping off the bolt. wile it sounds silly i'm shore his intention was to make the point get it as tight as possible without breaking anything.

You are right James, this entire post of mine was sort of tungue in cheek. I had decided before I posted it that Windson was just having a little fun with us. I think he really had a couple of us going there for awhile.
                            sigpic 6010

Comment

it is really a project, not just a fun..

Comment

Working...
                              X