Welding a copper fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding a copper fence

I've gathered from elsewhere in the forum that copper can indeed be welded. I'm thinking of making a fence, part of which would be copper, to give some privacy and security to the deck above my garage. The copper panels would consist of 48"x48" copper "flat bar" frames and curved copper rods of various lengths attached to the frame and each other in some random/artistic way. Ideally, the curved pieces would be solid copper rods, but so far I've only found expensive pure copper rods that are not intended to be heated or welded. Let's start with the basics. Is there any hope for my idea or should I go back to the drawing board? By the way, my long standing connection to welding is having a security door "welding guy" located next to my upholstery shop for 20 years. Ambitious little bugger, ain't I? Thanks for any help/direction you can give.

Are you using Mig, TIG or ox/act torch? Bob http://www.crownalloys.com/products.htm See Crown Deoxidized Copper under the Product header
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

welding a copper fence

Ah, let me get back to you on that. In fact, I may have access to more than one type of welding equipment, but I want to be accurate here. This may take a min as the folks with the answers are sleeping, as we speak.

Comment

I would think making it out of copper would be cost prohibitive, unless you have a place where you can source some cheaply. I've been wanting to scrounge up some copper sheet to make a few projects, but what I've found is very expensive.
        Miller Syncrowave 200
        Homemade Water Cooler
        130XP MIG
        Spectrum 375
        60 year old Logan Lathe
        Select Machine and Tool Mill
        More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

And one day

The price of copper will really be sky high,You might wake up one morning to find all your work has been removed and sold by the local metal thieves.Mike

Comment

You might make the copper pieces out of steel, easier and cheaper to accomplish, and then have them plated; they'll go green anyway.

Comment

copper can be welded by tig.
              You can strip the insulation of of solid strand copper wire and clean it with alcohol and use it for filler wire.
              I tried it and it works.
              I still need more practice with it to get settings right.
              Too bad that my local jr.college doesn't have a class for this.
              I would be the first one in line.

Comment

I have mig welded copper to steel. But, like everyone has said the cost is going to be very high. I got a piece of 18 inch square copper 1/8 inch thick and it was $80.00.

Here is a pic of copper to steel (plow disk) These welds were ground down since they are wok handles. (decorative, they get HOT) the copper acts as a heat sink, so you have to play with the settings.

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...w/IMG_0525.jpg
                MnT

Comment

Brazing might be easier w/copper - don't need to get it so hot. But the joints need to fit pretty good. Guy who mentioned thieves was right on. Heavy duty shears will cut a lot of copper...

Rufus

Comment

Originally posted by fendermender View Post
                    copper can be welded by tig.
                    You can strip the insulation of of solid strand copper wire and clean it with alcohol and use it for filler wire.
                    I tried it and it works.
                    I still need more practice with it to get settings right.
                    Too bad that my local jr.college doesn't have a class for this.
                    I would be the first one in line.
                    I recommend not using wire for your welding rod. Use the correct stuff (Deoxidized Copper) for best results.
                    Miller Syncrowave 200
                    Homemade Water Cooler
                    130XP MIG
                    Spectrum 375
                    60 year old Logan Lathe
                    Select Machine and Tool Mill
                    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

Working...
                    X