Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thing made with 1/4" base plate and 2pcs of 2.5" tubing.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thing made with 1/4" base plate and 2pcs of 2.5" tubing.

I made this to set on my table to keep my 18" tig filler rods in after i cut them in half from 36".

It is a 1/4" base plate, with (2) 2.5" tubing side by side.

Base plate is 6.5" x 4".

It was tig welded with my Sync 200. Used 1/16" 309L filler. 3/32" tungsten (1.5% Lanthanated)

I should of came up with a better design.. looks kinda funny.. hahahaaa

Last edited by myistar; 05-16-2009, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I don't think it looks funny at all. You did a much better job with the welds than I would have done.

Comment

awesome.. thanks.. I still want to figure out something else to make so I can TIG it.

Comment

Use a lot of filler, huh?

2 1/2" pipe will hold "A LOT".

Nice job, regardless.

Comment

Look through the projects board here and I'm sure you'll find quite a few ideas to use.

Comment

Pretty Welds. I havn't welded SS yet. I'm gonna have to find a project for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                Use a lot of filler, huh?

2 1/2" pipe will hold "A LOT".

Nice job, regardless.
                Yeahh, I should of used a tad bit more, but I am starting to become real real comfortable tigging, haven't been tig welding for too long, just every now and then. The walls of this tubing is .080".

Comment

Originally posted by Shamrock1123 View Post
                  Pretty Welds. I havn't welded SS yet. I'm gonna have to find a project for myself.
                  Thanks, I'm always working on making them better each time...

Comment

Filler Rod Holder

myistar -

Looks good, how far did you have your tungsten sticking out on the bead in between the two tubes?

Comment

myistar,

I wasn't referring to the amount of filler you used in welding the holder up.

I was joking about how much filler a 2 1/2" pipe can hold. At 18", I'd suspect each holder will take about 12# of filler.

I use a similar setup that clamps to the edge of the table, but I used 1" OD SS tubing for mine. I don't like having that much filler out of the tube at a time. Not too bad for SS but mild and aluminum don't fare as well.

Comment

Nice idea, and nice work. I've been thinking I need a handy place for the rods...

Comment

Originally posted by RCGRT View Post
                          myistar -

Looks good, how far did you have your tungsten sticking out on the bead in between the two tubes?
                          I'm not exactly sure on the measurement, but far enough so I could get in there, with no problem. seemed to work pretty good.

Comment

Looks good Im shoure it will do the job

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                              myistar,

I wasn't referring to the amount of filler you used in welding the holder up.

I was joking about how much filler a 2 1/2" pipe can hold. At 18", I'd suspect each holder will take about 12# of filler.

I use a similar setup that clamps to the edge of the table, but I used 1" OD SS tubing for mine. I don't like having that much filler out of the tube at a time. Not too bad for SS but mild and aluminum don't fare as well.
                              yeah, i didn't read that too good probably, i wanted to make something that day, i told myself, these tubes are fairly big for storing some filler in it. At the time, i didn't think i had any smaller, like 2 inch, but now i'm typing this, i did have some 2" exhaust tubing i could of used as well..

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.