Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

SJO? Wire

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SJO? Wire

I bought some wire at Home Depot.
    The electrician (he said he was) said the wire with the following description was SJO, evem though it didn't say so, on the jacket.

Carol 3/C 12 AWG 105 Degree Centigrade Water Resistant SOOW CSA FT-2 P-123-103 MSHA 600 volt RoHS

I only bought 2 ft., to use on my welding cart.
    Is it actually SJO?

Shouldn't it be marked on the jacket?

It is not actually Junior(J) but better.

So what he said is not correct, but probably what he meant is that it is as good because it is better.

... and you didn't buy Wire, you purchased Cord

Comment

Originally posted by ligito View Post
      I bought some wire at Home Depot.
      The electrician (he said he was) ...
      He might have known and wire and electricity, but I really doubt he was an electrician. If he was an electrician, he would not be working at HD for $7.25/hr. He would be installing wire in homes for $30-$50/hr.

Comment

Either way, sounds like a score!

Comment

"He might have known and wire and electricity, but I really doubt he was an electrician. If he was an electrician, he would not be working at HD for $7.25/hr. He would be installing wire in homes for $30-$50/hr. "

You are obviously out of touch with reality about the availability of work in the building industry. There are so few housing starts right now that if I was an electrician I would be happy to have a job with benefits at HD instead of being unemployed.
          BTW the "SOOW" is indicitive of the wire being "SO" cord.

Comment

This shows ya what all da letters mean

http://www.interpower.com/ic/NA_Cable_Types.asp

Comment

what is SJO? what is it used for?

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                You are obviously out of touch with reality about the availability of work in the building industry. There are so few housing starts right now that if I was an electrician I would be happy to have a job with benefits at HD instead of being unemployed.
                BTW the "SOOW" is indicitive of the wire being "SO" cord.
                I hate to get OT, but I just want you to know about these "home Improvement" stores.
                No electrician that I know of would work at one locally. These benefits you are talking about I never saw them. Now I am no electrician. What they do is tell you of the benefits that you will receive, and they also told me they would pay for part of my college. They said all I have to do is work full time and what ever class I take , they would pay for part of them. I agreed and was hired. So how did they treat there employees? The majority, Including me, got to work 38-39 hours per week. That way they dont have to pay for the benefits, and part of my school. What they do is keep there employees right under 40 each week. Some may get the 40+ hours but very few. So the way they treat there employees is crappy. All of this is to save them money. And this was before the economy went south, so I can not imagine what it would be like now. I would work at a fast food place before I ever when back to a place like that.

Comment

not sure how it is where you are, but here 36 hrs is still considered full time and benefits are included

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
                    what is SJO? what is it used for?
                    Junior hard service cord, types SJ, SJT and SJO, has many uses, as on washing machines, drills and trouble lamps. The outer jacket may be rubber (SJ), thermoplastic (SJT) or an oil-resistant rubber compound (SJO). This cord is round and available in sizes 16 or 18 with two to four rubber-insulated conductors.

Comment

Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
                      not sure how it is where you are, but here 36 hrs is still considered full time and benefits are included
                      Ya, I worked at Farm and Ranch store, and they considered either 32 or 34 hours a week full time. But I only worked there part time. (usually about 15-25 hours a week).

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                        It is not actually Junior(J) but better.

So what he said is not correct, but probably what he meant is that it is as good because it is better.

... and you didn't buy Wire, you purchased Cord

I'd a sworn there was wire inside.
                        Service cord.

Comment

Originally posted by On fire most of the time View Post
                          Either way, sounds like a score!
                          "As my former boss used to say "Its NOT a spaceship, GET IT DONE!"

My projects always end up costing as much as a space ship, but the pleasure is all mine.

Comment

I found this and it explains a lot.

http://www.generalcable.com/NR/rdonl...n_SprmTyps.pdf

The guy also sold me 3 ft, for the price of 2 ft.

I just needed a cord for my welding cart.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.