Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metal Art

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Art

Just finised up some yuccas made from some scrap 24 gauge steel. I cut the steel into 1' strips with a plasma cutter and cut the tips with a tin snips. The strips are then tacked to a 1" tube. I sprayed the finnished product with muriatic acid and let sit for four hours. After rinsing, I sprayed it several times with salt water to get the rust going. You have to get creative to get things to rust in Arizona.
    Attached Files

Very nice job, I wasn't expecting them to look soooo real after looking at the first picture. Your lucky with the low humitidy. We have to build everything out of stainless,aluminum,galvanised or concrete if ya want it last.
    Last edited by sailor; 05-10-2009, 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

looks good. I like it.

Comment

I agree, looks very real. I need yuccas like yours, mine keep growing and growing and I keep digging them out and they just grow right back.

Comment

They are very pretty. How did you get the fold in the leaves? I actually like the plants even before they rusted. Nice work.
          Nick

Comment

Yucca

Thanks guys. I put the bend in the leaves using a cheap 24" brake I picked up at Harbor Freight.

Comment

can i come hang out at the pool? I'll bring all the rusty metal you want.

Comment

You bring the beer and we got a deal.

Comment

looks great, you should add a small S.S. one next to it.
                  great project that looks cool next to the pool.

Comment

I was thinking about trying one in copper. I've never tried TIG brazing with silicon bronze rod. Looks like a good project to try it on since there are about 100 tacks on it and if they turn out ugly, none will show.

Comment

looks great hate to have to many
                      beers and fall on it

Comment

cool. different types of materials always add a new look no matter what type, and as you mentioned great chance to practice new skills.

Comment

Nice work, thanks for sharing..
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.