Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

High School Fun

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Fun

Thought you might enjoy looking at my Ag. Welding Fabrication Classes latest project. The class wanted to build something that would show their talent and be useful. Gary Davis's excellent welding trailer caught the attention of the class and was the inspiration for this project. I will add detailed pictures when time permits, but here are a few highlights of the project. The trailer is 5' X10' with 3 locking tool boxes, locking cable well, and a locking drawer under the welder. When designing the trailer a lot of thought was put into eliminating leg grabbers and shin bangers. We are currently finishing up a mechanics vice and a pipe vice that lock into the stake pockets. When not in use the vices will store in the drawer under the welder. A removable ladder rack and the fire extinguisher brackets are also in the paint room. My students will be checking the site and looking forward to your comments.Name:  c7b866e2879f7c8842f94fd294c0dd5f.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  18.3 KB

Name:  06538aa719df29d91a70c6a9b0c3bf95.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  20.9 KB

Looking forward to more detailed pictures!

Just an FYI, in the second picture, tell those two boys on the right to get out of that habit before they hit the working world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
      Looking forward to more detailed pictures!

Just an FYI, in the second picture, tell those two boys on the right to get out of that habit before they hit the working world.
      what habbit are you refering to?

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
        what habbit are you refering to?
        Hands in pockets!!! Signs of boredom, laziness, etc. etc. not good looking like you have nothing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
          Hands in pockets!!! Signs of boredom, laziness, etc. etc. not good looking like you have nothing to do.
          Been around awhile haven’t you?

Or you’re a supervisor who looks for things like that!

Comment

Grumpy makes a very good point.
            If you look shiftless, you may very well be shiftless.

Comment

come on every one the trailer looks good overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post

Usually there isn't much to do when posing for a picture.

I would think that nice trailer they built is more of a statement of their skills and attitude to work than how they posed for a photo.
                Last edited by TS-Off-Road; 05-08-2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

They did a very nice job on the trailer, it looks great.

However I do need to agree with Grumpy,there are better ways to pose than with your hands in your pockets, show pride in your pose, first impressions last.

Comment

Maybe they had an itch

Comment

Hands in their pockets..

I bet they just had a good old game of pocket-pool going on there, and i bet the PRICK in the middle is winning............

Sorry that is just what the old man use to ask me if i had my hand in my pocket...

Railmen

Comment

Originally posted by Railmen View Post
                        I bet they just had a good old game of pocket-pool going on there, and i bet the PRICK in the middle is winning............

Sorry that is just what the old man use to ask me if i had my hand in my pocket...

Railmen
                        We used to say.."just playing some pocket pool but the Ref is a prick" LOL. Ah yes, boys will be boys.

Comment

They are well on their way to working for the US government, only need a coffee cup in the other hand, and they’ll be ready!

Comment

Nice job on the trailer. Good ideas on the storage of the accessories.

Leg knockers on trailers, or anything else, stinks.

That is something to be proud of!

GOOD JOB!!

Comment

Since you asked I will give my honest opinion based from working off a portable welding rig for the last 22-23 years now.

I dont like how there isnt a place to wrap your cables up. Its much easier to walk over to the side and peel off what you need verses gettting 50' or 100' sections out throwing them on the ground and pulling 25' over to the job.

Looks to me like the cables are stored in the big tool box.- Hard to get to.

It also looks like your tool box lid flips up which means things get piled on top of other things. I prefer a cabinet with side doors and shelves.
                              I also like to be able to get my tools out without climbing up on the trailer.

Another thing your missing a bottle rack for your 75/25 gas so you can mig weld out in the field.
                              The Trail blazer does an excellent job at running portable mig.

I would also recoment a rack to carry some ladders.

These are just some tips for the next welding trailer that you build.

I'm sure there are some reasons why you built it the way you did, cables are more secure in a locked box than the way I suggested and building a cabinet as I suggested cost alot more money plus all the extra weight of having shelves.

Here are some pics of how I like my tool boxes, hangers for cables and mounting ideas for tanks.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.