Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill grid question in stainless?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grill grid question in stainless?

I'm new here and have a question about a grill grid for my grill. The replacements are over $180, so I was going to get a new grill this year after 20+ years with the old one. But since I was laid of work and don't see anything coming up soon I need to go to plan "B", and rebuild.

I have only TIG welded stainless but since I don't have a TIG I'll need to stick or MIG weld it. I am leaning to stick because of cost (tank, gas, wire). Any suggestions would be great. I might have a small tank with nitrogen that I could swap for a mix gas but would have to check. Not much welding just a bunch of tack welds.

I checked the garage and I have a small tank about 14" tall of CO2, and a taller (around 18") and fatter tank of nitrogen. I also have this same size tank of C-25.

Also to the grill builders out there, any idea on what size stainless rod and the spacing I should use. This is a high end nat. gas grill so with this rebuild I'll be keeping it for another 10-20 years.

Thanks
    Todd
    Last edited by Tee2; 05-04-2009, 10:08 AM. Reason: Checked to see if I had tanks

I'm thinking 14 Ga. or larger and spacing adequate enough to keep food from falling through.
    What is the spacing of the original?

If you space to closely, you add more work at clean up time.

Comment

I made a few custom grills last summer and i just used 1/8" 304 tig rod that i got by the lb from my LWS. It was pretty cheap and worked well. I migged the ends together...Bob

Comment

Are we talking the cooking grate or the one that holds the lava rock?

Comment

cast iron grates are the bestest IMHO

watch ebay you can find what you need cheap

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
            Are we talking the cooking grate or the one that holds the lava rock?

Yes, cooking grate.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrhenry View Post
              cast iron grates are the bestest IMHO

watch ebay you can find what you need cheap
              I checked ebay and I found a cast SS replacement for $275 + shipping that look nice. But I can't spend that much now. And a porcelain coated steel one that looks cheap (thin wire) for $75 with shipping.

1/4" SS rod will cost me around $45 for 1/2" spacing. I might go with 5/16 or 3/8 and increase the spacing.

Thanks,

Comment

Some Cast iron grills...Bob
                http://www.roloffmfg.com/barbecue.asp

Comment

I wouldn't consider anything less than 1/4" for the cooking grate.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.