Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

fabrication?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fabrication?

I know this might sound dumb but what is fabrication and what are some basic projects?

Umm...

here we go again.

Give this a shot
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/

Comment

Seriously??? Is there not a big green box with pictures in it on the right of your screen that says "Go to WELDING PROJECTS".

Have you tried clicking on it?

Comment

From Dictionary.com

Comment

allot of welders can't fabricate & allot of fabricators can't weld......

Comment

or fabricate a story-to make up a story

Comment

Originally posted by thunder71 View Post
              allot of welders can't fabricate & allot of fabricators can't weld......
              Aint that the truth...

Comment

Metal fabrication refers to the process of constructing metal by changing the standard raw metal materials with the use of specialized tools and equipment. Metal fabrication techniques, depending on the temperature at which the metal is processed, can be either be cold, hot or warm.

Examples: forging, rolling, extrusion, drawing, deep drawing, bending, spinning, etc.

Comment

I once caught a fish THIIIIS big!!!

...oh wait, that's 'fib-rication'.....sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Creep View Post
                    I once caught a fish THIIIIS big!!!

...oh wait, that's 'fib-rication'.....sorry.
                    Could be fabrication, you fabricated it out of thin air....

Wow at topic starter...

Comment

To me welding is the easy part to teach someone, Its knowing how to fabracate thats really hard.

I can teach most any body to lay down a good mig weld in a few days but learning how to fabricate takes years and many never seem to pick it up.

Fabricating is a talent and we all have different talents.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                        To me welding is the easy part to teach someone, Its knowing how to fabracate thats really hard.

I can teach most any body to lay down a good mig weld in a few days but learning how to fabricate takes years and many never seem to pick it up.

So very true...going thru that now in fact. Not sure how it will turn out either. All you can do is hope it works out over time.

Comment

There was this chick in high school that I had fabrication with a lot - er, no wait, that's not right either.......

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post

Couldn't have said it any better.... weldors and fabricators are 2 different people and very seldomely do you find one person that's proficient at both. I'm a better fab guy than i am a weldor, but i take great pride and put a lot of time in my welding but there's guys on here that might not be able to form parts but could weld beautifull perfect beads on a bad day with one eye while smoking and make me look bad LOL

IMO the best fab guys are the ones that leared out of nessecity and a lack of funds to buy the parts or the correct tools to make said part. It's the guys that formed stuff like large car parts, sleds or just a water bowl with nothing more than some hand tools, maybe a dremel and hours and hours of time with the one key thing being the mind of a fab guy.

The guys who beat sheet metal on the bench, rocks, or anything they can find to shape it, then as the person grows, gaines more tools, insight and experience they become a true fab guy. Not only is this how i got my start but most other good fab guys i know admit to learning in the same way from nessecity and limited tooling in the beggining..

Honestly it's not something you can go to school for... you can go to school to learn how to use the tools of the trade, but it's the MacGuyver mindset, a good imagination and the ability to see your projects before they're born that really show a true fab guy above the guy who can only be considered a weldor, a lathe operator, a sheet metal guy etc...etc.. A true fab guy does all the above jobs not even knowing them as seperate individual trades, but just looking at all of it as a means to an end, and the end result being the part you need!

that's my, the turboglenn dictionary of garble definition of a fab guy!
                            Last edited by turboglenn; 05-06-2009, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaRat View Post
                              There was this chick in high school that I had fabrication with a lot - er, no wait, that's not right either.......
                              Sounds like a fabrication of your imagination.

Milling and drilling are also part of fabrication, along with painting etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.