Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody do any guard rail work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
    Darmik, unless I read the original post wrong you need to do a little more work on your math. The amount was 4860 foot of fencing. so now 4860' top and 4860' bottom comes out to about 10000'.
    And you did not figure in the posts and corners there's another couple hundred foot there. and I didn't refigure the 3/8" posts but do believe you are way, way short in that estimate as well. Dave
    i ahve been asked to bid on a guard rail going around a swimming pool at a health club here. i have done smaal stuff like this before, but never on this scale. i would like to know an average price per foot completed. i have to replace 4,860 feet. the design is 1 1/4 square tube on top and bottom, in ten foot sections. with 3/8 square stock on 4 inch centers. pretty simple and classic design. any help on bidding this would be great. ask me more questions if need more info.thanks



    Because this is the information that I had to go on. My math and estimating are very good it's just my spelling that I have to work on. But for me to tell you what I think you need to give me more info RIGHT.I don't do a guessing game. Well it might need this or it might need that and add this in and someone turns around and says hey darmik you don't need to add that it's already factored in to the cost. But then on my little guesstamate I guess a guy just could have times it by two then right instead of saying hey darmik I think your math is OUT to LUNCH. The 3/8 stuff that was again just a roughly figured out I don't know how many pieces of 3/8 square he will need do you EXACTLY? And corner posts and corners square stock upper and lower rail how much wire gas cutoff blades gloves grinding disks sanding disks torch tips extension cords safety glasses safety shields instead of me doing this why donít you do the quote for him for free. This is a help forum, I will get you started but don't except me to do the work for ya he!! I might as well do the job if thatís the case. I wonder how much estimating fees are

    welder_one This does not reflect you and your question.It just pisses me off when people on here think your a dumb dumb because you didn't think of EVERY little detail.I'm quite sure you know just what you have to do. I don't know how long you have been in the business?, But to get a job like that I would say your NOT a dumb dumb and I sure could use a good man like you on my team.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Darmik View Post
      i ahve been asked to bid on a guard rail going around a swimming pool at a health club here. i have done smaal stuff like this before, but never on this scale. i would like to know an average price per foot completed. i have to replace 4,860 feet. the design is 1 1/4 square tube on top and bottom, in ten foot sections. with 3/8 square stock on 4 inch centers. pretty simple and classic design. any help on bidding this would be great. ask me more questions if need more info.thanks



      Because this is the information that I had to go on. My math and estimating are very good it's just my spelling that I have to work on. But for me to tell you what I think you need to give me more info RIGHT.I don't do a guessing game. Well it might need this or it might need that and add this in and someone turns around and says hey darmik you don't need to add that it's already factored in to the cost. But then on my little guesstamate I guess a guy just could have times it by two then right instead of saying hey darmik I think your math is OUT to LUNCH. The 3/8 stuff that was again just a roughly figured out I don't know how many pieces of 3/8 square he will need do you EXACTLY? And corner posts and corners square stock upper and lower rail how much wire gas cutoff blades gloves grinding disks sanding disks torch tips extension cords safety glasses safety shields instead of me doing this why don’t you do the quote for him for free. This is a help forum, I will get you started but don't except me to do the work for ya he!! I might as well do the job if that’s the case. I wonder how much estimating fees are

      welder_one This does not reflect you and your question.It just pisses me off when people on here think your a dumb dumb because you didn't think of EVERY little detail.I'm quite sure you know just what you have to do. I don't know how long you have been in the business?, But to get a job like that I would say your NOT a dumb dumb and I sure could use a good man like you on my team.
      Darmik, I don't doubt your math skills and by no means would ever call you a dumba$$, I would however like you to teach me how to stretch 5832 feet (your number) of material in to the 9720 foot (my numbers = 4860' top plus 4860' bottom) needed for the rails. It sure as he!l would up my profit margin if you could teach me this trick Dave
      Last edited by dabar39; 08-29-2007, 08:04 AM.
      If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

      sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
      Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by welder_one View Post
        i have to replace 4,860 feet. the design is 1 1/4 square tube on top and bottom, in ten foot sections. with 3/8 square stock on 4 inch centers.
        4860' top plus 4860' bottom is 9720' not allowing for waste. Waste should be fairly minimal if you use 40' joints cut into 10s'. For 38" (if this is the length) uprights on 4" centers there will be close to 14,000 uprights. I'm figuring 3 to the foot less posts every 10 feet. Understand this is a estimate of material. You can only get 6 uprights out of a 20' joint so it will take around 2333 joints of square bar for the job. My brain is tired now so I didn't even figure the number of posts needed.

        9/10 mile seems like an awfully long fence for a swimming pool area. Did I miss something?
        Jim

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by dabar39 View Post
          Darmik, I don't doubt your math skills and by no means would ever call you a dumba$$, I would however like you to teach me how to stretch 5832 feet (your number) of material in to the 9720 foot (my numbers = 4860' top plus 4860' bottom) needed for the rails. It sure as he!l would up my profit margin if you could teach me this trick Dave
          And still retain the same thickness no way can't be done. smart azz

          I'm sorry if this sounded to harsh.I just had a very bad day at work yesterday.
          But I'm okay today.once again sorry. what I basicly said was 5832 plus 4860 = 10692.feet this is 20% more material than needed because sh!t happens all the time you know that.unless the 4860 + 4860 already has a 20% material increase I don't know,I was never told but I guess I should have asked.There is a load of things that welder_one will have to factor in, Into his quote.

          Hey welder_one
          Powder coat is the way to go but there is something eles you could use its called RINO coat it's like a rubber coating like that spray on bed liner for trucks
          this is good stuff does not crack chip peel fade break down over time will take any abuse if this stuff was a guy than I would have to say it's Hulk Hogan proof.Look into it any way might be cheeper than powder coat o ya the only colour it comes in is black I think.

          Comment


          • #20
            Wow, good luck on that project! Can you make a clause on your contract somehow in case of any changes or something you may forget? I'm just learning now about soft money and hard money...
            One incident that happened to my friend's parents in Vegas, was the contractor hired all these subs to build the railing like yours around the pool. Don't know the EXACT details, but a toddler crawled from the outside, underneath the railing and got in the pool and drowned. Parents sued eveyone, and got $80,000 from my friend's parents insurance company, lot more from the other guys who built the actual railing and other subs that did whatever. Thing that pi&&'d me off, was my friend just made the dam& lockbox for the walki-in gate!!! Kid crawled through the backside of the railing where there was no gate around!!! Their insurance man paid the 80 grand without telling them. I'm still wondering why they didn't sue their insurance man!!!
            I'm not late...
            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

            Comment


            • #21
              bert, that is the world that we live in today. everybody trying to make a buck off from nothing. it pi**es me off to no end as well. i have done alot of contract work to this facility in the past and they always sign a release waiver for me, others i dont know about. anyways they've always been good to me
              welder_one

              nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
              www.sicfabrications.com

              Comment


              • #22
                All good, as long as your a$$ is covered! Be intresting to see since I'm so new at this, that you get all your materials covered and labor planned out right! Good luck and God Bless
                I'm not late...
                I'm just on Hawaiian Time

                Comment


                • #23
                  thanks, i appreciate everybodies help on this one...i have been told that i have gotten the bid...SWEET...the bid went in at 58,000 bucks. i might not bee able to do much posting on this sight after i get started...lol see all later.... i will take before, during, and, after pics and post as i get time...i might have to quit my full time job for a while...
                  welder_one

                  nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
                  www.sicfabrications.com

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    just kidding, i cant afford to quit my job...lol
                    welder_one

                    nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
                    www.sicfabrications.com

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Congratulations welder_one

                      Good luck. if you need any more help you know where we are.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Congrats Welder_One!!!
                        Looking forward to LOOOOOTTTTTTSSSSS of pics!
                        I'm not late...
                        I'm just on Hawaiian Time

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Not trying to rain on your parade, but at $58,000 that works out to about $12 per foot. Just seems too cheap to me for your time and material.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Snackers,
                            Welcome to the board Don't worry, he's fast!!! He'll put up 10' /hr, so that'll be $120/hr!!! Well, with welding time, labor help and all that, I'm sure he's got if figured out. This is going to be good! I'm going to learn a LOT on this project!!!
                            I'm not late...
                            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Contracts

                              Originally posted by snackers View Post
                              Not trying to rain on your parade, but at $58,000 that works out to about $12 per foot. Just seems too cheap to me for your time and material.

                              I'm sure he has a claws in his signed contract about incidentals and cost over runs and changing plans part or half way through the job.Even add ons are subject to a re-quotation on the current job.I trust he knows what he is doing.He said that he has done work for this place before.So I don't think he will have a problem.But then???

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                here it is, i found matls at 60 cents/foot on the square tube and 12 cents/foot on the square stock, after ordering all that i need plus 15% it came out to 9,000 bucks, roughly. sandblast and powder coat will be done by a local shop under contract for $3,000. $1,000 for consumables(wire, rods, band saw blades, etc...)$1,000 for fuel for haul and engine drives. $2,500 for the general contractor to do the concrete work. $500 for latches and springs. and roughly $12,000 for help. i will be doing gang cuts with a band saw to up production and keep a clean cut. i have a 7 x 22 foot table and i will make a fixture to "stack pieces in and weld 'em up". i can and will do most of this by myself. the only help i will need is when removing sections of the old rail, and aligning up the new ones. correct me if i am wrong, but that leaves about 20,000 to profit and 10,000 to play with. it may be cheap as was posted earlier, but that is not a bad click for a little side job. and yes i do have a clause for change of design and add-ons, and what not. i have a lawyer friend that helps me out a bunch with contracts. the steel will make a showing next friday. they will deliver to me, same as the lws.
                                welder_one

                                nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
                                www.sicfabrications.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X