firewood dumbwaiter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firewood dumbwaiter?

I'm looking to build a dumbwaiter for use for firewood. This unit needs to travel from ground height about 8' up to a sun deck. I picture using an ATV cable winch where the winch is at the bottom, pulley at the top that pulls a box of some sort up with the wood inside for unloading. Weight of the box via gravity descends the box to the bottom. Pretty basic design I suppose but I'm wondering if anyone has made something like this, has pictures, plans etc.

If not, any ideas, suggestions etc?

(this is of course so that my kids can do firewood now rather than me schlepping it up the flight of stairs to our living room!)

Piper

No plans or ideas, but be sure to add a limit switch or the kids will bring the whole house down around your ears.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Kids......

Block & Tackle

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=30324
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Hand Winch

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65688
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Piper View Post
          I'm looking to build a dumbwaiter for use for firewood. This unit needs to travel from ground height about 8' up to a sun deck. I picture using an ATV cable winch where the winch is at the bottom, pulley at the top that pulls a box of some sort up with the wood inside for unloading. Weight of the box via gravity descends the box to the bottom. Pretty basic design I suppose but I'm wondering if anyone has made something like this, has pictures, plans etc.

If not, any ideas, suggestions etc?

(this is of course so that my kids can do firewood now rather than me schlepping it up the flight of stairs to our living room!)

Piper
          Let the kids schlep it up the stairs. Builds muscle and integrity.
          Be careful, so what you build doesn't end up falling on someone.
          Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
          Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
          Victor SuperRange OA
          Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
          Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
          Milwaukee Hole Hawg
          Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
          Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
          Orbit Drill Press
          12 Ton Floor Press
          2002 E-350 V-10:
          1983 F-150 4.9L 6
          2004 Honda ST1300
          2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
          1997 Suzuki DR650

Comment

Northern sells a low-end electric winch with mounting hardware (four bolts to whatever you bolt it to), they put them on sale a few times a year with free shipping.

I've used them for light duty theatrical rigging.

I'd worry about clipping someone's fingers off with a home-brewed rig like this, though.

Comment

HF puts there electric winch on sail all the time. i have had mine for a few years now used mostly for lifting my riding mower to clean under the deck or remove the deck. it comes with a pulley to double the lifting capacity and slow it down as well. it has a built in stop switch and runs off 120V. thats what i would use for a power lift.
              i agree 100% about the lil fingers, so maybe let them load but don't plug it in till they come up and tel you its ready to lift with you watching. depending on there age and responsibility level. i would build an outer cage door that must be closed to allow power to the lift ( just like an elevator)

i have this one.
              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44006

good luck and be shore to show us what yo end up with .
              Attached Files
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

My thoughts on the project are,

A hydraulic ram inside a pipe in the ground, put limiting orifices in the ram fittings this would prevent a runaway in case of a hose break. if you have a wood splitter all you would need to do is install quick disconnects for both rams. Hydraulics has safety advantages due to pressure control adjustments in the spool valves..

The lift needs to be enclosed with safety limit switches switch or exposed with no pinch / entrapping points...A basket attached via rollers to an I beam (tilted or vertical) would be a good conveyor system..
                Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                  HF puts there electric winch on sail all the time. i have had mine for a few years now used mostly for lifting my riding mower to clean under the deck or remove the deck. it comes with a pulley to double the lifting capacity and slow it down as well. it has a built in stop switch and runs off 120V. thats what i would use for a power lift.
                  i agree 100% about the lil fingers, so maybe let them load but don't plug it in till they come up and tel you its ready to lift with you watching. depending on there age and responsibility level. i would build an outer cage door that must be closed to allow power to the lift ( just like an elevator)

i have this one.
                  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44006

good luck and be shore to show us what yo end up with .

That's the one I used- mine had four threaded mounting holes in the sheet metal body that took supplied metric bolts.

Using this winch within it's limits can get you a lot of bang for your buck.

...now I gotta buy another one after all this

Comment

Working...
                  X