Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

narrowed 9" ford

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• narrowed 9" ford

something else i do>

Put a 454 and a powerglide in and yer ready for supergasing!

Comment

Looks Good. That would look good under my old '64 Fairlane. I have an old 9" housing from the 60's just waiting to be narrowed...Bob

Comment

reminds me of my 66 mustang =)

Comment

thunder71. i have a question. does the four link need to be straight or can it be in a a little bit of a A shape.(I'm only talking 5 degrees) do i need to explain more? thanks.

Comment

looks good I have wanted to do that myself but just never have had the ambition.

Comment

Originally posted by vin-man welding View Post
              thunder71. i have a question. does the four link need to be straight or can it be in a a little bit of a A shape.(I'm only talking 5 degrees) do i need to explain more? thanks.
              They always have an A shape, lines drawn through the bars must intersect at a forward point, where they do, that is your ic, instant center. That is a very important point for chassis tuning, setting it higher, lower and front to rear completely changes the characteristics of the car.

Comment

Im currently building a custom narrowed 9", for my SS, I just destroyed my Moser 12 bolt...

My buildup parts,

Strange 9" housing narrowed 4" per side, backbraced
                Moser aluminum through bolted center section
                Strange 35 spline axles
                spool
                daytona pinion support
                4.57 gears
                4130 lightweight bracketry
                Strange Drag Brakes

I bought the housing, and I am adapting, narrowing, and making it work with my own custom 4130 thin wall torque arm.

Should be interesting.

Comment

9 in

This is the one for my car .

Comment

Comment

first one i built sits under my 71 Z28 camaro 5.67 gears mark williams hog head

40 spline mark williams axles, 4 link,MW aluminum center section,wilwood brakes....

Comment

Badd00SS: thanks for the reply. i understand all the adjusting stuff and torque caricaturist's. but i meant the four bars being closer together at the frame and wider at the rear end.(i need to stop typing so late at night i don't know what i meant the next day.LOL)
                        (my neighbor is putting a four link in his car and i told him i'd weld it for him but the links taper and i just want to know if thats ok?)
                        sorry for tread jumping.

Comment

I believe there are a few different ways to do it.. If your upper and lower links are in parallel (per side) they don't do anything to locate the axle side to side, and you will need a panhard bar, or a scissors link.

Alternately, take a look at the bottom of page 2 and then page three on this link:

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...surements.html

By having typically the upper links wide at the frame, and narrow at the axle, and then the lower links wide at the axle, and narrow at the frame, you get the lateral positioning of the axle fixed without needing a panhard bar or scissors link.

While we are messing with suspension geometries, anybody have a link to how to reduce the amount of anti Ackerman in a 05 F150? I'm getting fed up with never having edges on the tires, squealing while driving slowly around parking garages, and wouldn't mind it handling much more neutrally..

Comment

Originally posted by vin-man welding View Post
                            Badd00SS: thanks for the reply. i understand all the adjusting stuff and torque caricaturist's. but i meant the four bars being closer together at the frame and wider at the rear end.(i need to stop typing so late at night i don't know what i meant the next day.LOL)
                            (my neighbor is putting a four link in his car and i told him i'd weld it for him but the links taper and i just want to know if thats ok?)
                            sorry for tread jumping.

They should be parrellel in that dimension, if I am reading correctly. To keep the rear centered, you use either a Panhard rod, or wishbone usually. Watts link if you really go crazy, I just have a panhard rod.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.