Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

finishing what the factory did not do

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finishing what the factory did not do

these were build in california & were leaking very bad ,the collector was not welded complete...had to cut both headers where i got it marked with tape & weld the inside then check with water afterwards........no more leaks

That is a shame, good stuff is hard to find.
    Did you weld a point in at the junction of the tubes in the middle?
    Gives a better flow.
    I know it is to late.

Comment

What do you mean test with water? I have always pressurized with air(use some little adjustable rubber stoppers and a couple psi of air(like 5-10 max) and squirt with soapy water. Do that for fuel tanks, hydraulic hard lines etc. Dave
      Originally posted by thunder71 View Post
      these were build in california & were leaking very bad ,the collector was not welded complete...had to cut both headers where i got it marked with tape & weld the inside then check with water afterwards........no more leaks

Comment

Who built them?

Thats pretty sheisty if theyre brand new and leak out of the box...

Comment

Great job on fixing your headers. What craftsman cordless tool is that in the picture?

Comment

nice work. bummer you had to do it, but nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
              Great job on fixing your headers. What craftsman cordless tool is that in the picture?
              looks like a flashlight

Comment

I think so too I looked closer after I posted the question about this and awnsered my own question.

Comment

i don't know what brand the customer brought them in & said they come from calif. & the company give him 1/2 his money back because of the leaks...they fit a newer model ford lighting...the craftsman flashlight was used to look inside before i cut both headers apart at the green tape line...i took a piece of plywood & some rubber & screwed it to the flange that bolts to the heads & plugged the sensor hole with a plug...stood it up so the collector was on top & filled with water to check for leaks before i welded the cut off collector back on....they sounded very bad before repairs were done...he is a very happy man now

Comment

Well thats just great cant buy anything thats any good any more. but at least you fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.