Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun Room Door

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Room Door

When our house was built the water lines had not extended to our area. We had a fresh water cistern poured. In later years when we got city water we cut a hole in the cistern and made it into a gun room / tornado shelter.
    With all the stealing going on I decided to build a steel door for the room.
    The door frame is 2"x1/4" angle ancored into the concrete. The door is 10ga framed with 2"x1/8" sq tube. (Left over from the rig bed we are building) I built the latching mec. like some of the powder magazines we used to have. The hinges are 1" sch40 pipe with 3/4" sch40 inside. The lock is from ACE Hardware. It is supposed to be bolt cutter proof.
    Attached Files

That lock may be resistant to bolt cutters but it can be easily opened without a key. In the body shop indsusty there is a tool called a slide hammer that is used for rough shaping metal and it come with a screw atachment that is screwed into holes in sheetmetal to pull a dent. If the screw is threaded into the key hole of any lock that acepts a key and yanked on the cylinder comes out and the lock can be opened. I have opened a spare tire lock on a blazer that we had but did'ht have the key for and if you pay atention to CSI they sometimes use them to open car trunks. If you go to www.autobodytoolmart.com and search "slide hammer" or "morgan knocker" you will find the tool I am refering to.

Comment

I didn't know about pulling the cylinder in a lock, but I've built a couple of smaller size gun safes and I designed them where a person can't get a drill (or slide hammer) to the keyway. It doesn't make them 100% burgular proof, but it adds a little more security.

Comment

metalmeltr,
        You are probley right. It was the best lock I could find at the time. I do not think the crack heads around here know what a slide hammer is or maybe it will slow them down enough for me to catch them.

Comment

locks only keep honest men out.

Comment

For one CSI is TV and TV is seldom correct.
            They plagiarize things to make then believable.
            That said the lock mentioned can be opened with a pick and if the person picking the lock knows what they are doing it can be opened in about a minute or two.
            The BS of ten second lock picks is all Hollywood. Yes you get lucky from time to time but any good home lock will take some time to pick.
            On top of the fact that auto lock are just about the worst quality lock on the market. A standard schlege or kwickset is by far higher quality then almost any auto lock.
            Yes Auto lock can be popped with a dent puller but try that with a good pad lock and all you will do is destroy the key slot. The lock will be locked but you will never get a key in it ever again.
            The simple answer is a criminal is not going to waste his time bringing special tools with then to rob your house. They can't afford to be caught with burglary tools. So if some one was to break into your home and wanted to get into that gun room a large hammer and chisel is all thats needed smack that lock a couple of time and it will open. The shackle can only take so much it will fail eventually.

So build a shield around the lock that prevents bolt cutters and hammers from getting a good bite on the lock that will deter most thieves.
            Kerry

Comment

Gun Door

Originally posted by vin-man welding View Post
              I think vin-man said it best!

But if you really want to keep your valuables safe it would be best to devise some way to hinder the lock it's self from being easily accessed to by thieves and their commonly used tools mentioned then you would have even more time to catch the thief who tries to get in.
              It is sad when you have to lock your self out in tempting to keep things from walking off

By the way nice job on the door!

Regards
              CrazyHorse!

Comment

Originally posted by vin-man welding View Post
                You dont have to lock up your stuff from an honest man. He will defend it for you.
                A lock slows a dishonest man down.

Cool job on that door, Can you get out if something was to jam the door in a storm?

Comment

CrazyHorse: in regards to your comment about locking yourself out I think all guns should have locks on them so that unauthorized people don't use them.
                  Finnney great job on the door.

Comment

your door looks good.

Comment

redintn,
                      Yes we can get out if it jams.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
                        CrazyHorse: in regards to your comment about locking yourself out I think all guns should have locks on them so that unauthorized people don't use them.
                        Finnney great job on the door.
                        Don't think I wrote it in that context, But Okay

Regards
                        CH!

Comment

Originally posted by Finney View Post
                          When our house was built the water lines had not extended to our area. We had a fresh water cistern poured. In later years when we got city water we cut a hole in the cistern and made it into a gun room / tornado shelter.
                          With all the stealing going on I decided to build a steel door for the room.
                          The door frame is 2"x1/4" angle ancored into the concrete. The door is 10ga framed with 2"x1/8" sq tube. (Left over from the rig bed we are building) I built the latching mec. like some of the powder magazines we used to have. The hinges are 1" sch40 pipe with 3/4" sch40 inside. The lock is from ACE Hardware. It is supposed to be bolt cutter proof.
                          From a Canadian's point of view, you should never live in an area where you need a tornado shelter built in your house nice job on the door, looks like it would be a good place to run if a tornado hit!!!

Comment

pipeline Dan,
                            Tornado's are common here in the spring & fall.
                            Hows your work holding up? We are extremaly slow. I am trying to get the new truck finished and have it ready to go our around mid may.

Comment

Nice door.

On some pumping stations I worked on out in the boonies they used prison doors and put hoods over the locks. Make the hood small enough that you have to reach up from the bottom on your knees and put two hands in to grab and insert the key. Minimum 1/4" steel.

Can you get into the place in a hurry during a storm? Can you get out when your house is in shambles on top of it. Wouldn't matter if you had a sure phone connection that was not severed. Could use cell phone but have an external antenna. Most likely all phones will be out for a couple of days. Run an alternate air source duct into that room that won't get covered in debris.

Lots of issues. Hate to have somebody find deceased family in there three days after the storm. Probably a better chance in there then out...eh?

Keep on welding!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.