Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

CNC Plasma Cutter . . .

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC Plasma Cutter . . .

Just need an opinion from all you guys . . .

My intention is to build or buy a CNC Plasma Cutter with a 4'X4' table. I want to operate it as a hobby machine for art / craft type of stuff. The reason for the small table, I can not imagine handling sheet larger, whether it be storage or getting on the table by myself . . . I'll be in a 2 car garage . . . :-)

My question to you guys is based on your experiences, where would you try to hustle additional work for my table.

I'm thinking, all types of shops;

1. motorcycle
    2. 4X4
    3. utility trailer
    4. small fab
    5. welding
    6. machine
    7. boat dealers
    8. ornamental iron (fences, gates, etc . .)
    9. farm equipment
    10. lawn equipment
    11. valve automation
    12. truck repair
    13. truck customizers
    14. outdoor cooking (big down here)

These are the ones I have come up with . . . any thing else or comments on the above would be appreciated . . .

Thanks "WACKO" Steve

Signs with backlit illumination.

T.J.

Comment

Build it rigid enough to handle a router - then you can do wood and plastic signs as well.

Comment

Custom car audio shops, body shops that do custom work. Smaller places that may not need huge quantities. If you were in Dallas, I'd have plenty for you

Comment

Custom electronic project panels...

Comment

So are you making this from basic stamp / pic controller and stepper motors, I can't imagine that it would be all that difficult with a little work. The interface software might be the toughest part. I have been thinking about this also it seems the cost for these things are so excessive. This would be a great open source project, making a great tool for the builder that he or she could build.

I just looked there is open CNC software already. I am going to have to look into this, thanks for the thought.
            http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencnc

no files at opencnc

http://www.linuxcnc.org/ this looks more promising.
            Last edited by nikodell; 04-13-2009, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Mach 3

Originally posted by nikodell View Post
              So are you making this from basic stamp / pic controller and stepper motors, I can't imagine that it would be all that difficult with a little work. The interface software might be the toughest part. I have been thinking about this also it seems the cost for these things are so excessive. This would be a great open source project, making a great tool for the builder that he or she could build.

I just looked there is open CNC software already. I am going to have to look into this, thanks for the thought.
              http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencnc

no files at opencnc

http://www.linuxcnc.org/ this looks more promising.
              Look @ Mach 3 Software . . .http://www.machsupport.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Wacko Welder View Post
                Just need an opinion from all you guys . . .

My intention is to build or buy a CNC Plasma Cutter with a 4'X4' table. I want to operate it as a hobby machine for art / craft type of stuff. The reason for the small table, I can not imagine handling sheet larger, whether it be storage or getting on the table by myself . . . I'll be in a 2 car garage . . . :-)

My question to you guys is based on your experiences, where would you try to hustle additional work for my table.

I'm thinking, all types of shops;

1. motorcycle
                2. 4X4
                3. utility trailer
                4. small fab
                5. welding
                6. machine
                7. boat dealers
                8. ornamental iron (fences, gates, etc . .)
                9. farm equipment
                10. lawn equipment
                11. valve automation
                12. truck repair
                13. truck customizers
                14. outdoor cooking (big down here)

These are the ones I have come up with . . . any thing else or comments on the above would be appreciated . . .

Thanks "WACKO" Steve
                Do you know what you'll use to build it and what software? steppers/servos..
                rack and pinion or screw drive? I built one in 2006 that I have a router on now. Haven't used it with plasma yet. If you search for "cnc router" on this site you'll see some pics and info. I use Mach 3, Aspire 2 3D software.
                nick
                Last edited by monte55; 04-14-2009, 11:03 AM.

Comment

hay Nick have you used your cnc router much? Got any feed back on what you built what works good what you might do different?

Seems like you could adjust that easily for plasma, I am thinking of doing an initial smaller build for plasma, before seting up one as a cnc router, or possibly making one with a transforming base where I can do either plasma or wood and other materials. That would be best for space considerations. Not all that practical for other reasons, wood dust and sparks could create an issue if one were not extremely careful.

I have done work with steppers and computers before and actually made my own controller boards. I am more concerned with making a gantry that is stable and accurate. I was wondering how yours is under load say in a hardwood, what kind of cuts can you make?

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.