a fishmouth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a fishmouth?

anybody know where to find a pipe notcher that is very portable? i have been doing a lot of hand rails lately and i am tired of notching pipe with a grinder. i have seen the one that uses a hole saw, but it doesnt clamp to the pipe to use a hand drill instead of a drill press. or if anybody has a better idea, please....
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Try this one, I know it's very popular!
    http://www.lowbucktools.com/notcher.html
    Also, try google "pipe notcher" (with the quotes) and you'll have a lot to choose from!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

I just use my saw. I can cut a full fishmouth in about 20 seconds. This one is 1 1/4 sch 40 pipe cut 30 on each side to make the joint. They fill up nicely and hold very well.
      Attached Files
      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
      '06 12RC feeder
      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
      Esab Multimaster 260
      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

DDA52,
        My classmate says an old timer does that at his shop...SHOWOFF!!!
        Put it in the saw, how do you keep it from walking?/slipping??
        I'm not late...

Comment

Bert, I primarily do it with my DeWalt Multicutter. The clamp holds it just fine. I have a few walk a little, but not enough to really mess up the cut....or the blade.
          Attached Files
          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
          '06 12RC feeder
          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
          Esab Multimaster 260
          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

DDA52,
            oh, I heard of some guys on this forum have the DeWalt mulitcutter, it's a dang chopsaw!!! I was thinking of the sears multicutter that is handheld, and has 2 blades supposedly running opposite each other. Why do they call yours multicutter?
            thanks in advance
            I'm not late...

Comment

They cut more than one material.....
              Nick
              Miller 252 Mig
              Miller Cricket XL
              Millermatic 150 Mig
              Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
              2-O/A outfits
              Jet Lathe and Mill
              Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
              DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
              Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
              20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
              Propane Forge
              60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
              Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
              and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by welder_one View Post
                anybody know where to find a pipe notcher that is very portable? i have been doing a lot of hand rails lately and i am tired of notching pipe with a grinder. i have seen the one that uses a hole saw, but it doesnt clamp to the pipe to use a hand drill instead of a drill press. or if anybody has a better idea, please....

I use this one http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

I use it in a vise with a 1/2" milwaukee hole shooter. Harbor frieght has one too and it seems to be just like the more expensive one. I have both. http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...eyword=notcher

I guess if you had 100s of notches to make this might be too slow, but I've used them alot. Buy good hole saws and use lubricant, they last a long time. Just buy a hole saw with close dimensions of the outside of the pipe At least I've had good luck. Makes a very nice fishmouth. even has angles on it so you cna cut a 45 or angles. I guees you could clap the pipe in something then clamp this to the pipe

Thats really cool cutting them out with a saw, does it really fit that good on the sides? I have never tried it.
                Last edited by HMW; 08-22-2007, 06:57 AM. Reason: spelling
                Scott
                HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

I'll try that with my steelmax chopsaw! Should work fine!!!!
                  thanks guys!!!
                  I'm not late...

Comment

i have seen this one in action http://www.lowbucktools.com/notcher.html its quick and simple. add a good leverage bar and you are good to go, no power or drills needed. would be easy to mount to the truck or a hitch mount.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                    JAMES

Comment

I think if I had to makes tons of notches, I would go that route. I only make some once in awhile so for the cost difference the cutter is cheaper. maybe I'll get a notcher someday if I had the need enough [or want]

looks like over $400 with added set of blades, but if you've got a big project, it would pay for itself
                      Scott
                      HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

yep, like any thing that requires special blades of dies, thats where they really start adding up fast. like ya said if ya had a large job it would be ok to add the die $ into the bid and save a lot of time (time = $$) just depends on the situation.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

WOW JAMES, THAT'S A NICE NOTCHER!!! THANKS FOR THE LINK!!
                          I'm not late...

Comment

glad ya like it.

you should like it its your's.
                            i was just saying i have seen it in action and it worked really nice. not to mention it requires no power and with the leverage handle off it would take up very little space mounted to the side or back of the truck bed, or as a hitch plug option. its fast and easy to work, expensive but nice.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

Tell you the truth, I'm not REALLY pleased with the Lobucks one. We have one at school that is a LOT more heavy duty than that one. I forget the name, but I'm not sure if there are still in business. Much faster than the hole saw type, but but I've used both...
                              I'm not late...

Comment

Working...
                              X